Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vertical Licenses Cardfight!! Vanguard Manga


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Apollo-kun



Joined: 11 Feb 2010
Posts: 964
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Huh. This is a pretty unusual grab given the kinds of stuff Vertical usually snags, but given that this is a pretty popular franchise right now, it should give them some more capital to bring over the more niche stuff they usually do. I'm not interested in it, really, but good on them for being savvy businesspeople!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
samuelp



Joined: 25 Nov 2007
Posts: 1532
Location: Tokyo, Japan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Huh. This is a pretty unusual grab given the kinds of stuff Vertical usually snags, but given that this is a pretty popular franchise right now, it should give them some more capital to bring over the more niche stuff they usually do. I'm not interested in it, really, but good on them for being savvy businesspeople!

Knowing Bushiroad I wouldn't be surprised if Vertical is being PAID to put out this manga Smile

Everything is just an advertisement for their card game after all. And nothing wrong with that! That's the point of card game franchises.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 6166
Location: IL

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I get why they're pushing Vanguard because kids are the moneymaker for these card games, but why not try to push Weiß Schwarz a bit as well? Is that not like the trading card game in Japan right now?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
navycherub



Joined: 26 Oct 2007
Posts: 39

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Thank based Vertical.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OniTasku



Joined: 07 Jun 2011
Posts: 64
Location: Santa Barbara, California

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I get why they're pushing Vanguard because kids are the moneymaker for these card games, but why not try to push Weiß Schwarz a bit as well? Is that not like the trading card game in Japan right now?


Well, for one...there's no manga tie-in to Weiß Schwarz (unless I'm mistaken). And Vertical is a manga publisher.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
The Mad Manga Massacre



Joined: 15 Jul 2009
Posts: 891

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Does this series get anymore interesting because I was practically dozing off from boredom from the first episode of the anime with it's "let's imagine something exciting is actually happening on screen" thing. honestly, if you're going to make a shameless merchandise marketing vehicle set at least put in some effort. Add some fantastical elements or something (even Gundam Build Fighters had a mysterious alien person). I probably won't be purchasing this one. I'm not the target demographic though even if I were I don't think this would hold my interest for long.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kosaka
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 01 Jul 2010
Posts: 117

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Someone from Vertical (I would guess Ed Chavez) posted some background info.

celebistar asked: Was there any reasoning behind picking up Cardfight!! Vanguard?:
http://vertical-inc.tumblr.com/​post/​67429335691/​was-​there-​any-​reasoning-​behind-​picking-​up-​cardfight

Vertical blog, The Diagonal:
http://vertical-inc.tumblr.com/​
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FenixFiesta



Joined: 22 Apr 2013
Posts: 936

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:22 pm Reply with quote
OniTasku wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
I get why they're pushing Vanguard because kids are the moneymaker for these card games, but why not try to push Weiß Schwarz a bit as well? Is that not like the trading card game in Japan right now?


Well, for one...there's no manga tie-in to Weiß Schwarz (unless I'm mistaken). And Vertical is a manga publisher.

Also some decks are potentially tied up in international licensing hell even IF the fans would be more than willing to pay up for several packs of collectable cards.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
samuelp



Joined: 25 Nov 2007
Posts: 1532
Location: Tokyo, Japan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:02 am Reply with quote
Kosaka wrote:
Someone from Vertical (I would guess Ed Chavez) posted some background info.

celebistar asked: Was there any reasoning behind picking up Cardfight!! Vanguard?:
http://vertical-inc.tumblr.com/​post/​67429335691/​was-​there-​any-​reasoning-​behind-​picking-​up-​cardfight

Vertical blog, The Diagonal:
http://vertical-inc.tumblr.com/​

In other words: Bushiroad wants to really keep close control over the manga and how its sold/used for promotion of the card game, and Vertical being a smaller publisher is much better suited than a larger publisher which would demand more independent control.

Sounds like a good deal for both sides if it works.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Agent355



Joined: 12 Dec 2008
Posts: 1944
Location: Crackberry in hand, thumbs at the ready...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:21 am Reply with quote
Cool! I hope this sells well for them! I just checked Vertical's Tumblr, and they're going to package a card with every volume. That should be a really good incentive to get kids buying. When are they starting to air the anime here?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Xagor



Joined: 29 Apr 2008
Posts: 159

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:55 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I get why they're pushing Vanguard because kids are the moneymaker for these card games, but why not try to push Weiß Schwarz a bit as well? Is that not like the trading card game in Japan right now?


As much as I like the game, I don't think Weiß Schwarz can really compete with the big guys like YGO and Vanguard.

I've heard things from people trying to promote the game in the UK which suggests that certain divisions of Bushiroad outside Japan would really rather just be concentrating on making money off of Vanguard.

I've always thought that it's a good thing to try and sell to anime fans, since you'll get a lot more of them coming into the game because they want to play SAO or Vividred etc, rather than being interested in card games as such. Most of the other games won't have the same kind of draw.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative


Joined: 01 May 2009
Posts: 260
Location: New York, NY

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:14 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

In other words: Bushiroad wants to really keep close control over the manga and how its sold/used for promotion of the card game, and Vertical being a smaller publisher is much better suited than a larger publisher which would demand more independent control.


Ummm, no actually. We are suggesting almost all the decisions.

Ie: card pack-in, starter deck, what's in volume 1, how it is sold, where it is sold...

We are actually the more distributed company. They have the content and the marketing power. It's a good deal if it works.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
samuelp



Joined: 25 Nov 2007
Posts: 1532
Location: Tokyo, Japan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:25 am Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:
samuelp wrote:

In other words: Bushiroad wants to really keep close control over the manga and how its sold/used for promotion of the card game, and Vertical being a smaller publisher is much better suited than a larger publisher which would demand more independent control.


Ummm, no actually. We are suggesting almost all the decisions.

Ie: card pack-in, starter deck, what's in volume 1, how it is sold, where it is sold...

We are actually the more distributed company. They have the content and the marketing power. It's a good deal if it works.

So you guys are fans of the game?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
kanechin



Joined: 21 Jan 2012
Posts: 381

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:29 pm Reply with quote
bet Aichi imagines tons of "things" involving him and "Kai-kun".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Primus



Joined: 01 Mar 2006
Posts: 1439
Location: Home of the Only Canadian MLB Team

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Cool! I hope this sells well for them! I just checked Vertical's Tumblr, and they're going to package a card with every volume. That should be a really good incentive to get kids buying. When are they starting to air the anime here?


Never? Bushiroad seems content with just streaming the dub on Youtube.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group