• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Beyond the Boundary Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
If the series has a problem, it's in the world building. I still can't figure out whether or not the Spirit World Warriors, their society, and the hunting of youmu are supposed to be common knowledge, or secret from the world at large.

I'm fairly certain it is secret at least to the general public. I mean, they've briefly mentioned about there being barriers or illusions or something to hide the Youmu shop from the average person. And Mirai did the same thing when she fought Sakura. Although that said, I agree with you in general. The weakest thing about this show is the world building.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Girls und Panzer is already on order. You can expect a Blu-Ray review from me probably the second week of December.

Pokemon the Origin won't get done, almost guaranteed.

We'll see about Aquarion EVOL. If Funi sends out a screener then someone will do it eventually. Otherwise probably not.

I have been debating on doing Arpeggio of Blue Steel, but at this point I'll probably wait until the send of the season if I go ahead and do it. (Still not sure how I feel about that one.)

To my knowledge none of the reviewers are following Unbreakable Machine Doll. That means it's not too likely to get done at this point.

Interesting. Thanks for the info, I never knew the review selection process was that complex. Anyway, I am eager to read your reviews. It seems your taste in anime is the closest to mine(aside from Heaven's Lost Property, but thats only natural), so your reviews are usually the most helpful. As for Machine Doll, I am enjoying it quite a bit, but I like KnK more.
ZodiacBeast

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:08 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
ZodiacBeast wrote:
Has ANN ever reviewed a show out of season? Well, I guess since GuP is coming out over here soon they might do it. I hope it gets a good score since I enjoyed it quite a bit. I can see it getting a B, either - or +.

Err, the overwhelming majority of the reviews on this site are "out of season" by the standard that you are using.

kevinx59 wrote:
Interestingly, it seems for a while most of the shows I have been enjoying all get C grades on ANN. If the trend continues, that means so will Unbreakable Machine Doll, Tokyo Ravens, Arpeggio of Blue Steel, Aquarion Evol, Girl Und Panzer, and Pokemon the Origin if/when they are reviewed/released. I hope I'm wrong(in a good way) but I'm pretty sure at least 3 of this will get that grade. Oh well.

Girls und Panzer is already on order. You can expect a Blu-Ray review from me probably the second week of December.

Pokemon the Origin won't get done, almost guaranteed.

We'll see about Aquarion EVOL. If Funi sends out a screener then someone will do it eventually. Otherwise probably not.

I have been debating on doing Arpeggio of Blue Steel, but at this point I'll probably wait until the send of the season if I go ahead and do it. (Still not sure how I feel about that one.)

To my knowledge none of the reviewers are following Unbreakable Machine Doll. That means it's not too likely to get done at this point.

Carlo was planning to write up the first half of Tokyo Ravens, so you should see that one eventually.

And dtm42: Gods, that was a twisted alternate trailer. That's even worse false advertising than the PMMM trailers, and that's saying something.

I was thinking about TV broadcasts, not when they were released on DVD/BD. Derp.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:19 am Reply with quote
Hellwarden wrote:
I really felt like I was the only who saw this show for what it's been so far. A pretty flawed forgettable show.

I'm so happy I'm not the only one.

Oh, definitely not, dear heart.

I've developed a pet peeve in the past several years against girls who are abusive and yet their behavior is never treated as reprehensible within the series. For this reason among others I disliked Mirai virtually from the get-go. Akihito is a pervy blob of forgettable nothing, and whats-her-name from his club tried and failed to be the next Hitagi Senjyogahara.
The only character I've had even a passing interest in was Hiromi. Only 2 episodes in iirc and I'm bored close to tears.

By and large I've enjoyed KyoAni's series so far to one degree or another (Canaan, Kanasaku Iroha, K-On!, Another, and Free! Iwatobi Swim Club) but BtB just offered nothing to grab hold of.

I'll be waiting out the 3 episode rule but I doubt there's much left that can surprise me. Better luck next time. Rolling Eyes
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:24 am Reply with quote
Canaan, Hanasaku Iroha, and Another are P.A. Works shows, not KyoAni
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:58 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:

I've developed a pet peeve in the past several years against girls who are abusive and yet their behavior is never treated as reprehensible within the series.

Guys just like the attention. That's why guys tease girls.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:34 am Reply with quote
^
That's not what Ashen Phoenix was really saying. They were talking about female characters being abusive towards male characters.

Surely you mean that guys like attention and otaku don't usually get attention from girls in real life, which is why they will put up with the idea of a pretty female character being abusive towards them because at least it means the audience-insert male lead gets to even interact with girls. I suspect its why violent tsunderes such as Taiga, Louise et cetera are so popular amongst the otaku crowd.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:40 am Reply with quote
Taiga, Louise, etc. are popular because a lot of otaku are masochists.

Mirai's reaction to Akihito at the very start was because she sensed a youmu with a human form. The only youmu she knew like that was the Hollow Shadow. Remember when she went to Ayako's shop she was surprised to learn that there were youmu who look like humans.

That's a bit different from an abusive tsundere because she actually had a reason to attack, given her past encounter with the Hollow Shadow.
kyocrisis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Only on ep 3 so far but I am digging this show.

Now, it is one of my favorite shows so far this season but then again there's nothing spectacular this season.

I don't get the complaints about the characters in this show, yet everyone is going crazy hyping Kill la Kill which is not even that good, and the fight scenes are less interesting to watch? Makes sense.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I seem to be part of a rather small group of people who enjoy this show quite a bit. The general setting is pretty generic, but that never stopped anything from becoming interesting by itself. The very pretty visuals aside, that alone isn't enough to keep me watching. It did not work for Coppelion, which I dropped out of complete lack of interest in any of the characters. But Beyond the Boundary, for me, at least, has a lot more to offer. First of all, it's very cinematic. I am not talking about the visuals being just gorgeous, but about how many things in this show get told visually, via pictures, cuts, motion, etc., instead of just words. Which appeals to me a lot. There's always some little detail to discover, some beautiful frame that gives additional information about a scene or character. The creators do undertsand the medium they're working in, which isn't always the case for adaptations. The best story and most original setting can be rendered utterly frustrating if not adatped for the new medium the story is told in. This is not the case for this show, on the contrary.

There have been some inconsistencies in the world building, I think. But I don't have any problems with the characters. They make complete sense to me. Yes, the fetish talk of the guys is omnipresent (and it could have vanished a bit more into the background by now), but the way the girls handle this is rather amusing. The balance between humour and drama works well for me as well, and I love the soundtrack and it's diversity. While not my favourite show this season, I am looking forward to every new episode and feel fully engaged watching.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:53 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I haven't seen the show yet [...] this quality show
Come on, man... Seriously? I'm really starting to think you have dissenting opinions just for the sake of having dissenting opinions.

And if we're going to argue whether a show is quality or not because of its licensed status, I could point out any number of garbage shows that Sentai, Funimation and pretty much anyone else has licensed in the past couple of years.

As for this show itself, I ended up dropping it without even getting through the first episode. I don't normally like doing that unless something is really bad, but I never felt drawn to try watching it again. I guess the fact that it's animated like every post-K-On! Kyoto Animation series probably didn't help, but the major thing for me is that none of the characters came across as particularly interesting.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:02 am Reply with quote
By animated like every post-K-ON series do you mean extremely well and fluid? Because the animation in BtB is absolutely gorgeous. Are you perhaps mixing up character design or artwork in general? By far Beyond the Boundary is the most fluidly animated show of the season.

Now, whether or not you like what is actually being animated is another thing, but again, that's not the animation at fault.
GVman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't even get past the first episode of this. When some girl and immortal guy had that conversation that was some of the most painful exposition I've ever tried to sit through, I made up my mind to stop.
nhat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I can kind of see why this got honorable mentions in Kyoani contest... lol Great animation and fights but in terms of meat like character development and story, its average. Reminds me of Munto quality
bin1127

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Haven't watched Boundary yet but I'm constantly listening to the theme by Minorin. If only to get to listen to the OP theme is worth it to sit through the show. But it seems kyoani have put out a lot of mediocre shows. Nichijou is still my favorite from them. And as much as I love mochi, Tamako Market just didn't give me anything to latch onto. The anime however pretty is all wasted given these stories they're working with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7