• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Beyond the Boundary Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I think this review vastly oversells Kyoani's animation's ability to make shitty series seem good. You can tell Carl so desperately wants to give them all the worlds praises and still find more than enough time to give the show a verbal blowjob over the animation but just can't find a good enough excuse to call it good overall and it's almost painful to read some of the paragraphs seeing the struggle therein. When Kyoani's most diehard fans can't put enough spin on a show to sing it's praises in spite of the usual tepid writing and bland characters you know that time is slowly starting to pass them by.

Of course then there's Meggido who's posts in this thread have been nothing short of amusing to read. Seeing some other people trying to undersell the rest of the season as shitty as a means to try to prop this show up has also been highly amusing and telling IMO. Again the level of desperation is kind of unexplored territory for reaction to a Kyoani series from it's more staunch supporters and when a show can't stand on it's own to the degree that people have to try to institute their own version of the bell curve....pretty special I gotta say.

vashfanatic wrote:

And I'm also sick of this "you have to judge anime more lightly!" attitude, especially from so-called fans. If you're a fan of something, why would you advocate that it should be held to a lower standard?

This seems to be what people advocate for Kyoani in general and why I have such a hard time taking the studios more adamant supporters seriously. They just keep forever lowering the bar on what can be considered good or even passable for an animation production but only for this studio it seems. Laughing
kyocrisis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
I think this review vastly oversells Kyoani's animation's ability to make shitty series seem good. You can tell Carl so desperately wants to give them all the worlds praises and still find more than enough time to give the show a verbal blowjob over the animation but just can't find a good enough excuse to call it good overall and it's almost painful to read some of the paragraphs seeing the struggle therein. When Kyoani's most diehard fans can't put enough spin on a show to sing it's praises in spite of the usual tepid writing and bland characters you know that time is slowly starting to pass them by.

Of course then there's Meggido who's posts in this thread have been nothing short of amusing to read. Seeing some other people trying to undersell the rest of the season as shitty as a means to try to prop this show up has also been highly amusing and telling IMO. Again the level of desperation is kind of unexplored territory for reaction to a Kyoani series from it's more staunch supporters and when a show can't stand on it's own to the degree that people have to try to institute their own version of the bell curve....pretty special I gotta say.

vashfanatic wrote:

And I'm also sick of this "you have to judge anime more lightly!" attitude, especially from so-called fans. If you're a fan of something, why would you advocate that it should be held to a lower standard?

This seems to be what people advocate for Kyoani in general and why I have such a hard time taking the studios more adamant supporters seriously. They just keep forever lowering the bar on what can be considered good or even passable for an animation production but only for this studio it seems. Laughing

Well, hold on, this season is actually pretty bland. You can't blame people for saying this show stands out when most of the other choices are terrible.

That doesn't exactly make a case for this being a good show, however, the point still remains.

As far as whether or not it actually is a good show is, well, an opinion. It's subjective. It's not the best by any means but it does have it's merits.

Personally, I like the show. There are a few likable characters, the animation is great, the fight scenes are entertaining, and the storyline isn't terrible so far.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:46 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Gatherum wrote:
I still can't figure out whether or not the Spirit World Warriors, their society, and the hunting of youmu are supposed to be common knowledge, or secret from the world at large.

I'm fairly certain it is secret at least to the general public. I mean, they've briefly mentioned about there being barriers or illusions or something to hide the Youmu shop from the average person. And Mirai did the same thing when she fought Sakura.

Normal people can't see Youmu at all. They have the barriers to keep normal people away when fighting them and "cleaners" (or whatever they called them) to deal with the aftermath.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:21 pm Reply with quote
So, I have to wonder, since this review and almost all of the thread was posted before episode 7 of a 12 episode series....did anybody in this thread/the reviewer have their mind changed by the SECOND half of the series? 'cause y'know....not all series start out strong.

Personally, I loved the show from the get-go, and I think it only got better as it progressed. I'm wondering if anyone else thought so too, or what.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7