• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kill la Kill Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rederoin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

insanely over-the-top.

That is a bad thing now?
sainta

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:59 pm Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:
Quote:

insanely over-the-top.

That is a bad thing now?

It depends on the context.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I have no idea how the animation got such a high score... while stylish, it has some of the lowest frame counts of any show this season, and Episode 4 was easily the lowest budget single episode of any show this season.
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
ShatteredWorld wrote:

Yes, every episode is different from the last. That argument can, easily, be made for any show (anime, American, etc). But the fact is that there's not much of a difference between Kill la Kill's episodes. Like the reviewer commented, it's very episodic.

Uhh...no?

I mean yes, its episodic, but almost every episode has been drastically different from the one before. Frequently right down to the animation style. Episodic is not synonymous with repetitious.

Drastically different? I wouldn't say so

Episode 1 - Setting, plot, etc established

Episode 2 - Continues the same structure of fighting in Episode 1

Episode 3 - A bit more advances with the plot and character's develop/we learn a bit more about them.

Episode 4 - A lot more different in terms of the amount of comedy and introduction of a new character, but really nothing else.

Episode 5 - Introduces a new character with an obviously dark past, but is still the same as the other episodes in term of the action structure.

Episode 6 - A step in a better direction, but still carries the negatives I've listed before.

It's not like this show is bad, by the way. In my eyes, it's a pretty good series so far. But, personally, I can't just ignore some of the (above average) use of repetition in it, as well as the plot not having much to offer at the moment or characters becoming annoying in their own ways (namely Mako). *yeshrug*
jymmy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:09 pm Reply with quote
This is easily my favourite show of the season, and it's not far from the top of my pick for the best, either. The only real complaint is that episode three jars somewhat with how strong characters are shown to be later.

The line where Ryuuko said something to the effect of "fine, don't tell me what's going on; I'll just keep fighting and getting stronger" finally smoothed out the niggling worries I had of the structure being lazy and that the writers maybe losing their way.

The one thing Kill la Kill eclipses TTGL in utterly, of course, is the supporting villains. As of episode eight, the two devas to have been given an episode at least rival Viral for characterisation, especially the one sharing his voice. Lordgenome's Four Generals aren't really comparable.

I also noticed the animation is rated A. That's higher than Kyoukai no Kanata's animation rating from the same reviewer. The visual direction is fantastic, but the animation is not very high quality at all outside of a few specific shots (Gamagoori looming over the classroom in episode 1, Satsuki looming over Ryuuko in episode 2 and the transformation sequences that are mostly on ones, for example) and the CG sequences in episode 3 are kind of painful. As with the rest of the show, it's the execution that lifts the visuals from vaguely palatable to engaging. There's also a lot of variation, which is good, but hardly a lot of unique frames compared to KnK.
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Another one of the things I have to give to Kill la Kill is it's amazing OST and the audio placement. The music when Ragyo was revealed >>>>
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I looked at the grade before reading the review: Okay, B+. I'm thinking the review will probably say that the show is good but has some clear flaws that need to be corrected.

However, the review seems to gloss over any serious flaws and touts the show as non-stop, joyous fun. It seems like an A level review rather than B+. Also, looking at the grades, the story receives a C+ which I think is a fair grade. However, the rationale behind that is not really mentioned or seriously explained anywhere in the review. Simply throwing out the fact that the show is a bit episodic or uses well-known tropes doesn't really justify a C+. A C+ to me is an indication of serious flaws, which absolutely do exist in Kill la Kill.

Like I said, I agree with the C+ grade for the story. I also am not too far off from the overall grade. I would give it a B rather than a B+. However, I just didn't get much of that from the written review. The written review almost seems like an outright endorsement.

When I recently talked about this show in the series discussion thread, I described it as having a feeling similar to watching trucks smashing against each other repeatedly at a monster truck rally. That's what I get from Kill la Kill right now, and that is about it. Is that exciting? Hell yea it is. Are the trucks outfitted with all kind of super flashy, over the top gear and paintjobs that make them seem like giant monstrosities from another world? Yes. This show can get your adrenaline pumping. And I am sure the fact that the female protagonist is constantly transforming (via nakedness and jiggling boobs) into a a barely clothed, smoking hot warrior chick is probably making otaku all over the land nosebleed like there's no tomorrow. However, beyond that Kill la Kill feels almost completely shallow.

Mako's family are all soulless tools who pop in and out of the story to briefly serve a particular purpose, then disappear. Mako is an imbecile who is purely there for comic relief, and only temporarily shines in episode 7, but for episode 1-6 she is a hapless sidekick who's only purpose is to be beat up, rescued, and act ditsy for our (the audience's) entertainment.

The wandering warrior guy who showed up in one episode to threaten Ryuko was completely devoid of personality or meaningful rationale, other than being a "cool dude" who has a grudge and speaks in cool one-liners. He shows up on a motorcycle, takes everyone out, then rides off into the sunset. He is supposed to be mysterious, but I was just glad when he was gone.

Satsuki and Ryuko's homeroom teacher are interesting characters, but they have not really been the center of attention thus far.

The center of attention, which the review hints at, has been the repeated smashing together of the monster trucks... I mean, Ryuko and various school club presidents. It is entertaining, but intellectually this show is pretty subpar.

Maybe that will change, but at this point I can't even give Kill la Kill as much kudos as I would give to FLCL, a show which I am generally highly critical of.
uguu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:20 pm Reply with quote
There's other stuff I would nitpick (and yeah, 'over the top' as a minus is silly), but as of now, I have no idea why the writer felt that the show's story so far is lacking the depth of Gurren Lagann. I'm kind of curious where he felt the actual thematic depth of Gurren Lagann lied, because I'd honestly expect someone who enjoyed GL's story and ideas to also notice the allegorical elements of KLK. The review mentioned none of them, even the super-obvious ones.

Last edited by uguu on Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Leebo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:24 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I also am not too far off from the overall grade. I would give it a B rather than a B+.

A B is a pretty good score.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Maybe that will change, but at this point I can't even give Kill la Kill as much kudos as I would give to FLCL, a show which I am generally highly critical of.

I'm confused, it's worse than FLCL, yes? But you don't like FLCL apparently.

So, it's worthy of a B, but not as good as show you think isn't good...
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:

A B is a pretty good score.

A B is a score I would give to a show that entertained me and kept me watching for the entire series, but was subpar in many other areas. I don't consider it as a particularly "good" score. I consider it as a passing score. Anything below B- I consider an undesirable score. To me, a B+ is a score for something that was very good but just missed in a few small areas and therefore didn't make the "A" range. A- is almost perfection. A is perfection. A+ is beyond perfection. Simple enough?

Quote:

I'm confused, it's worse than FLCL, yes? But you don't like FLCL apparently.

So, it's worthy of a B, but not as good as show you think isn't good...

I didn't say I don't like FLCL, I said I am highly critical of it. It is another show that entertained me, but another show that I thought had a lot of flaws. That is why I am comparing the two. I think at this point FLCL is better, but it should also be obvious that I am indicating that "worse than FLCL" is not a great score for me.
uguu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

When I recently talked about this show in the series discussion thread, I described it as having a feeling similar to watching trucks smashing against each other repeatedly at a monster truck rally. That's what I get from Kill la Kill right now, and that is about it. Is that exciting? Hell yea it is. Are the trucks outfitted with all kind of super flashy, over the top gear and paintjobs that make them seem like giant monstrosities from another world? Yes. This show can get your adrenaline pumping. And I am sure the fact that the female protagonist is constantly transforming (via nakedness and jiggling boobs) into a a barely clothed, smoking hot warrior chick is probably making otaku all over the land nosebleed like there's no tomorrow. However, beyond that Kill la Kill feels almost completely shallow.

Mako's family are all soulless tools who pop in and out of the story to briefly serve a particular purpose, then disappear. Mako is an imbecile who is purely there for comic relief, and only temporarily shines in episode 7, but for episode 1-6 she is a hapless sidekick who's only purpose is to be beat up, rescued, and act ditsy for our (the audience's) entertainment.

The wandering warrior guy who showed up in one episode to threaten Ryuko was completely devoid of personality or meaningful rationale, other than being a "cool dude" who has a grudge and speaks in cool one-liners. He shows up on a motorcycle, takes everyone out, then rides off into the sunset. He is supposed to be mysterious, but I was just glad when he was gone.

Satsuki and Ryuko's homeroom teacher are interesting characters, but they have not really been the center of attention thus far.

The center of attention, which the review hints at, has been the repeated smashing together of the monster trucks... I mean, Ryuko and various school club presidents. It is entertaining, but intellectually this show is pretty subpar.

I know "you missed the point" is a typical fanboy excuse, but I'm genuinely willing to believe that you didn't really fully grasp what either FLCL or KLK were doing.

Both shows revolve around a certain theme, puberty and clothing respectively, and are absolutely full of clever ideas revolving around said theme. I won't go into FLCL but KLK is pretty in-your-face about it too.

-the entire concept of goku uniforms mirroring real-world power structures

-the OP and ED with their obvious threads symbolism (people coming together to create red threads which then create a cage-like structure)

-pretty much everything to do with Senketsu is insanely clever. first we have the fact that the true fusion only happened when Ryuuko stopped feeling shame - because actions give meaning to outward appearances, as new meaning can be given to an 'outfit'.

Then we have the fact that the Ryuuko-Senketsu fusion is not even considered an 'outfit' in the show - people say it's 'tacky and ugly clothing' but the entire point is that it is not clothing, but two living beings fusing together. Senketsu 'becomes Ryuuko's skin', his threads/'veins' being filled up with Ryuuko's blood. Ryuuko is practically naked and referred to as such, and with this comes the clever idea of using nakedness as a weapon against the clothing.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
I also noticed the animation is rated A. That's higher than Kyoukai no Kanata's animation rating from the same reviewer. The visual direction is fantastic, but the animation is not very high quality at all outside of a few specific shots (Gamagoori looming over the classroom in episode 1, Satsuki looming over Ryuuko in episode 2 and the transformation sequences that are mostly on ones, for example) and the CG sequences in episode 3 are kind of painful. As with the rest of the show, it's the execution that lifts the visuals from vaguely palatable to engaging. There's also a lot of variation, which is good, but hardly a lot of unique frames compared to KnK.

Huh, I didn't realize he gave it a higher animation score than KnK... I don't see how thats really possible. I'm not even that big of a fan of KnK, but its got high quality fluid animation without the use of CG, while KLK has constant still frames everywhere and tons of low budget animation techniques. Its fine if the reviewer likes the art style more, but shouldn't that be the art score and not the animation score? Theres no legit reason to put the animation score this high.
Leebo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:36 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
A B is a score I would give to a show that entertained me and kept me watching for the entire series, but was subpar in many other areas. I don't consider it as a particularly "good" score. I consider it as a passing score. Anything below B- I consider an undesirable score. To me, a B+ is a score for something that was very good but just missed in a few small areas and therefore didn't make the "A" range. A- is almost perfection. A is perfection. A+ is beyond perfection. Simple enough?

I was just talking about this in one of the other topics. A B on ANN is a 4/5. It's got issues, but it's still very good. I think your interpretation of the scoring is harsher than they intend.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I didn't say I don't like FLCL, I said I am highly critical of it. It is another show that entertained me, but another show that I thought had a lot of flaws. That is why I am comparing the two. I think at this point FLCL is better, but it should also be obvious that I am indicating that "worse than FLCL" is not a great score for me.

Yeah, that's why I have a hard time understanding "Better than a B is still not good". I can't think of many things I would be "highly critical" of and still say I liked them. If I was that critical, I'd be straining to think of things I liked.

Last edited by Leebo on Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:38 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Huh, I didn't realize he gave it a higher animation score than KnK... I don't see how thats really possible. I'm not even that big of a fan of KnK, but its got high quality fluid animation without the use of CG, while KLK has constant still frames everywhere and tons of low budget animation techniques. Its fine if the reviewer likes the art style more, but shouldn't that be the art score and not the animation score? Theres no legit reason to put the animation score this high.

This was a separate bone that I had to pick with this review but I forgot ;0 I agree, the animation score should be lower. The art score is fine, but I don't understand the justification for an "A" in animation.

Leebo wrote:

I was just talking about this in one of the other topics. A B on ANN is a 4/5. It's got issues, but it's still very good. I think your interpretation of the scoring is harsher than they intend.

4/5 is 80% If I scored 80% on any of my exams during my secondary or higher education/grad school, that would be considered right at the edge of being a bad grade. It's passable, but not really good and certainly not "very good."

Quote:

Yeah, that's why I have a hard time understanding "Better than a B is still not good".

You are reading too much into my comment. I said FLCL was better, but I didn't say what grade I would give FLCL. In all likelyhood, both of them would get a B, however one of them is a little better than the other. (Any particular grade generally includes a range of percentage points. I hate even having to explain all of this lol).

uguu wrote:

I know "you missed the point" is a typical fanboy excuse, but I'm genuinely willing to believe that you didn't really fully grasp what either FLCL or KLK were doing.

Both shows revolve around a certain theme, puberty and clothing respectively, and are absolutely full of clever ideas revolving around said theme. I won't go into FLCL but KLK is pretty in-your-face about it too.

-the entire concept of goku uniforms mirroring real-world power structures

-the OP and ED with their obvious threads symbolism (people coming together to create red threads which then create a cage-like structure)

-pretty much everything to do with Senketsu is insanely clever. first we have the fact that the true fusion only happened when Ryuuko stopped feeling shame - because actions give meaning to outward appearances, as new meaning can be given to an 'outfit'.

Then we have the fact that the Ryuuko-Senketsu fusion is not even considered an 'outfit' in the show - people say it's 'tacky and ugly clothing' but the entire point is that it is not clothing, but two living beings fusing together. Senketsu 'becomes Ryuuko's skin', his threads/'veins' being filled up with Ryuuko's blood. Ryuuko is practically naked and referred to as such, and with this comes the clever idea of using nakedness as a weapon against the clothing.

This seems like another one of those arguments (which are quite common in conversations about anime) that symbolism, in and of itself, is a lofty goal to be achieved. The idea that any show which can come up with some kind of clever form of symbolism and then create a bunch of characters and a thinly put-together plot that props up that overarching symbolism is like, the greatest thing ever created. The argument posits that we, as fans, should stand up and give thundering applause any time an anime production is able to accomplish this ultimate, god-like goal of achieving symbolism. It doesn't matter if the plot is awful. It doesn't matter if the characters are shallow and the dialogue is bad. It doesn't matter if the animation is low budget. It doesn't matter if certain aspects of the show simply pander to the lowest base instincts. As long as a show achieves SYMBOLISM, you must praise it.

That is how I feel about that argument. Symbolism is wonderful, but it should not be the primary way in which we evaluate the merits of any particular show.

Last edited by ChibiKangaroo on Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:44 pm Reply with quote
[moved up to previous post]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12