• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rose of Versailles Adds Episode 4 Manga 1-Shot in May

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:08 am Reply with quote
I wish somebody would license the manga Anime cry
We have the series, all we need is the manga and the new one-shots licensed.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I second that. This should be interesting.
Gustave Archamp

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I'd third that, but there would be very few publishers with enough money to throw at this project. Granted, I loved this series when I watched the anime. I can only imagine that the source material is also top notch. The characters are timeless, it is gloriously dramatic, and is very dense in the story department.

Yet, who would licence this title? Vertical is trying to shy away from classic titles and only really do things that are more contemporary. Viz, Kodansha, and Seven Seas would never risk releasing something so very... vintage. The art style will be extremely old fashioned and that will likely be a detriment to such a classic title. Heck, a lot of old titles that deserve more attention would never succeed out here because they look positively archaic.

Our only hope for a physical release of this title would likely be Fantagraphics. Yet, given the financial trouble they have seen in 2013 with the loss of their founder, I cannot imagine that they would be able, even if willing, to go out on a limb and licence this title. (Although it would be right up their alley.)

If enough buzz for Rose of Versailles would reach a publisher, then it could work. If not, there is only despair in wishing for it to be released. Vertical does do its' reader surveys every so often, but their 2014 is pretty full at the time being. Not sure if Fantagraphics would do something of the like.

So... Umm.... Kickstarter anybody? Laughing
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Did Riyoko ever reveal why she decided to release the anime internationally? Because I wonder if she feels the same about the manga?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1