• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Crest of the Stars novel 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:42 am Reply with quote
FINALLY! I am so excited. Will they be bringing all the other novels over here too?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Uh, I think that's a given. Why wouldn't they?
Jabberwock

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:10 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Uh, I think that's a given. Why wouldn't they?

Maybe because they only picked up the first 3 to see how well the series does before they get the rest?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Calli

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the middle-school reading level -- this is a change made by Tokyopop (the original is adult science fiction and by most accounts a difficult read). They have also abridged the book (in order to fit page count limitations) and altered dialogue and even substituted or removed some bits of text - some more significant than others - in order to fit Marketing's (WHY is it always Marketing?) push for the 13-18 demographic.

Fortunately, Kara, the junior editor, has been listening to complaints about this and is trying to work on those problems. Unfortunately, some of these issues (e.g. pagecount) are outside her control.

I'm just saying that you should be aware that there HAVE been changes to the U.S. edition beyond mere translation from Japanese to English.

As far as the Banner novels go, I suspect Tokyopop has an option on those if the Crest novels sell well. As stated, they don't have them licensed -- yet.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Calli wrote:
Regarding the middle-school reading level -- this is a change made by Tokyopop (the original is adult science fiction and by most accounts a difficult read). They have also abridged the book (in order to fit page count limitations) and altered dialogue and even substituted or removed some bits of text - some more significant than others - in order to fit Marketing's (WHY is it always Marketing?) push for the 13-18 demographic.

Fortunately, Kara, the junior editor, has been listening to complaints about this and is trying to work on those problems. Unfortunately, some of these issues (e.g. pagecount) are outside her control.

I'm just saying that you should be aware that there HAVE been changes to the U.S. edition beyond mere translation from Japanese to English.

Given the way the novel reads, this doesn't surprise me at all. The translation uses too many catchy English euphamisms and words some things in a style not consistent with the rest of the writing, so it's obvious there's some "dumbing down" involved. That is, in fact, my only serious complaint about the novel.

Even so, this is still a pretty challenging read because of all the Baronh language elements. And as noted in the review, this was an especially difficult translation case because of its unique original structure, so I can give Tokyopop at least some leeway. I still think they went a little too far, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Calli

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Even so, this is still a pretty challenging read because of all the Baronh language elements. And as noted in the review, this was an especially difficult translation case because of its unique original structure, so I can give Tokyopop at least some leeway. I still think they went a little too far, though.

This is exactly why I think TP made the right decision in opting for phonetic Baronh renderings instead of the actual spellings -- sure, I'm a language freak and know how to read those various headache-inducing spellings, but I'm in the minority. And unlike Bandai, TP did their homework and looked up the words (and consulted with several fans) before inserting them into the final draft. They deserve credit for that.

It's also worth mentioning that there are some extra Baronh insertions done by TP that weren't included in the Japanese version. I don't know the full extent of this, other than that there was no Baronh in the Prologue (unless you count Dusanh/Dusanyu's name) or the Table of Contents. It's one of those things I'm going to have to go over eventually, but I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to that nowadays.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I have been trying to find where to buy these but everything I see online has a different cover. Or it says this is a volume two. Was there a manga of crest of stars published in the us. And is this book out yet.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Tokyopop released the manga a while back. It's called The Sekai Trilogy (I think), with one volume covering each of the anime series (ione for Crest, one for Banner, one for Banner II).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1