• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's Arrietty to Have Different Dub Casts in U.S., U.K.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Kyubey wrote:
I wish more companies would employ Brits for dubbing when the anime has British/European characters, or at least try to do the accent.

The Japanese should try to do accents. Laughing

darkslayer709 wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:
But why is the US dub being released next year and the UK in out next month this dosnt seem far

Generally we get things last here in the UK and at times never get them at all so it makes a nice change for us to get something first Smile

Didn't the UK get a sub-only Ghibli that America hasn't yet? Laughing

bravetailor wrote:
Waste of time. At first I thought maybe it's because the U.S. will be using "name" actors Americans are familiar with, but looking at the cast, these aren't really huge names. *I* know most of them, but the average joe won't.

Families with children would know the girl, at least, especially now that she's showing up everywhere. Laughing
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:23 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Should've been a Brit dub in the first place! Should've been speaking Japanese in British accent! Laughing

Heh. In my several years of watching subtitled anime, the only foreign accent in Japanese that I have been able to detect has been Chinese. Gaijin usually seem to speak either perfect Japanese, or none at all. (Kansai-ben doesn't count.)

And the only name I recognize on the American dub list is Carol Burnett.
sillyriri

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:27 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
darkslayer709 wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:
But why is the US dub being released next year and the UK in out next month this dosnt seem far

Generally we get things last here in the UK and at times never get them at all so it makes a nice change for us to get something first Smile

Generally is the key word there. Ghibli stuff is the exception to the rule, and it's only with a few of their films that we get it before the US. On the flip side of things, 80% of the time, we don't get anime that's released across the pond at all, especially if it was released as sub-only.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
This is quite remarkable. Optimum's version may be the first anime release to feature a dub cast hailing predominantly from the UK since the 1990s. (I draw attention to the fact that Manga's dub of Ghost in the Shell 2 does not qualify as an exception to this.)

Millennium Actress does however, as does the much more recent Musashi (although that is mostly narration).

Mohawk52 wrote:
"Innocence" was dubbed here, but the VA's were flown over from the US as they were all the originals.

I'm almost 100% certain it was recorded in the US.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
kufirst

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Hmm, established British actors in a story adapted from a British novel, or an American dub filled with whatever hack Disney channel kids are popular this second (and possibly won't be on TV when this comes out) with only a couple known actors around to give the dub credibility. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

And it's just wishful thinking that the American release will have both dubs, no way Disney would allow anything other than their own English version in their release. At least it'll likely have a DVD/BR combo pack.

That doesn't mean I don't want to watch this, looking forward to hopefully seeing this in theater like every other Ghibli release since Mononoke.

Emerje

Nevertheless, I'm a subber, but I guarantee the British dub will be superior.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:01 am Reply with quote
Oraculo wrote:
Yeeeesh, this is so L-A-M-E! Rolling Eyes Perhaps I should preface this by saying I'm pretty much a "give me subs or give me nothing" type of person, but if they only did the British dub, I would maybe, sorta think about checking it out. No way in hell Evil or Very Mad am I going to go near the DisneyKidz version, ugh! Mad
Maybe the Brits will release a sub-only version... I'd definitely buy that! Anime catgrin

The version you are looking for is already available. Check Amazon Japan for a listing.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:50 pm Reply with quote
More choices and variety is good with me. I would go with the UK one because of the settings, but okay either way. I can see if one didn't like accents or want the more star power.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:02 pm Reply with quote
sillyriri wrote:
Generally is the key word there. Ghibli stuff is the exception to the rule, and it's only with a few of their films that we get it before the US. On the flip side of things, 80% of the time, we don't get anime that's released across the pond at all, especially if it was released as sub-only.

Yeah, I read the UK anime magazine "NEO" pretty regularly and I'm surprised just how few of the choice titles we get in the U.S. actually make it to you guys in the UK. I would be frustrated too.

I'm still befuddled as to why Only Yesterday is having such a hard time being released in the U.S. I have it on VHS (in Cantonese), I've watched it several times and I don't see any reason why it can't be released with simply a slightly higher age rating. Disney could even work out a deal with another U.S. anime distribution company or something and release it in lower anime-typical quantities. It just seems like a waste to buy the rights to all the Ghibli films and just sit on this one. It's also disappointing that someone as bright and intelligent as John Lasseter doesn't seem to have much enthusiasm for Takahata or even just this particular film--I really think Only Yesterday is Takahata's greatest film at Ghibli (sorry Grave of the Fireflies!) and it's a crying shame that it's the only major Ghibli film that has never made it to U.S. in any kind of format. Even Tales of the Earthsea got released and there's probably even less of an audience for that film!

I really want OY on Blu-Ray!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:20 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:

I'm still befuddled as to why Only Yesterday is having such a hard time being released in the U.S. I have it on VHS (in Cantonese), I've watched it several times and I don't see any reason why it can't be released with simply a slightly higher age rating. Disney could even work out a deal with another U.S. anime distribution company or something and release it in lower anime-typical quantities. It just seems like a waste to buy the rights to all the Ghibli films and just sit on this one.

First, Disney could easily afford it (just a measly ~$10 million up front). Second, Disney made the Tokuma deal first and foremost to expand their Japanese home video business, particularly VHS in cheaper format (at a time when LD is king in Japan and dominated by the big Japanese studios) - foreign releases were secondary to that goal. To that end, they didn't waste it since they released all of them in Japan and expanded their home video business there in the process. Unfortunately for us, we're not necessary to that goal.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
"Innocence" was dubbed here, but the VA's were flown over from the US as they were all the originals.

I'm almost 100% certain it was recorded in the US.
You are correct there. The dub tracks were flown over here on the master. My bad. Embarassed Laughing
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:49 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
The Japanese should try to do accents. Laughing
They already do, but you have to be Japanese to hear them.Wink

Quote:
Ocean Waves?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3