• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Breast in Show

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:53 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Which category does Maken Ki! fall into?

way better than it deserves. Ian Sinclair is hilarious
Dub it is then. That is, if I ever get around to the show in the first place.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:22 am Reply with quote
Words cannot describe how much I loved Wolf Children. Those opening 15 minutes or so were some of the best anime film-making I've ever seen.
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:50 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
getchman wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

Want hilarious Ian Sinclair, Strong World's what you want. He's great as Brook.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:02 am Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
With Christmas music, though, comes the annual reminder that there are some songs that should be banned from the radio forever. First and foremost is Paul McCartney's “Wonderful Christmastime,” which has got to be the worst and most repetitive song to ever flow from someone's pen.

Equal time! No fair hating on "Wonderful Christmastime" without offering equivalent hate to John Lennon's "Happy XMas (War Is Over)", that shambling dirge, built of repitition, politics, and guilt, that brings the family as much holiday cheer as a fireside viewing of C-SPAN.

The remarkable thing about the ex-Beatles' Christmas songs is that each is awful in exactly the same way that the rest of their solo careers are: Paul's is dippy and sappy ("Comin' Up"), while John's is built on I'm-so-smart politics ("Woman Is N----- of the World"). No wonder my favorite ex-Beatle solo album is George's All Things Must Pass.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:59 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
getchman wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

Netflix it is, then.
GiriOni

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Maken Ki is one of about 3 anime shows I know I watched, but have absolutely no recollection of anything about the show. I don't even remember why I watched it in the first place...
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:46 pm Reply with quote
No mention yet of the hilariously awful Christmas Shoes? I can't help but crack up at the children's chorus at the end, and then the child solo makes me laugh even harder. I can't be the only person who feels that the kid is just scamming that guy to pay for those shoes?

Bamboo, your reviews of Boob Shows are the funniest things on the site! Careful, you're going to end up an expert on such shows!!

Although it does raise a question: What does a Boob Show have to do, in terms of fanservice, to be unique and original? Bamboo lists several instances of overly-used setups to fanservice in her review. So, have we simply run out of ways for a male character to "accidentally" see naked ladies?
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Love how you describe Wolf Children! It was such a wonderful film. I am a mother, and I cried through most of it. Definitely shelf worthy.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I lol'd so hard at the maken-ki review. Laughing I don't think I could sit through that show if my life depended on it. After the first few harem shows the novelty quickly wore off. Though I may watch Nisekoi if the anime is like the manga and keeps fan service to a minimum.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:

Although it does raise a question: What does a Boob Show have to do, in terms of fanservice, to be unique and original? Bamboo lists several instances of overly-used setups to fanservice in her review. So, have we simply run out of ways for a male character to "accidentally" see naked ladies?

In all honesty, the following applies to ANY fanservice show:

To be unique, I guess it would need

-A plausible explanation for why all the chicks are frequently wearing little clothing
-Tastefully showing off the bodies of the girl's, in a way that doesn't make you feel like a sex offender
-Actually giving the girl's fleshed out unique personalities instead of making them soulless vessels shaped like women that flaunt their bodies everywhere
-An overall low-key method to fanservice--instead of mindlessly shoving as much as fanservice as possible, smoothly integrating it into the show

So basically it would have to be Free! with chicks.

As men are mostly horny perverts this will never happen, but one can dream.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Free completely failed that fourth point, so it'd have to be even more stringent in your eyes?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:11 pm Reply with quote
WHat? Free managed to smoothly integrate fanservice into the show because it was about swimming--a sport where you're expected to get half-naked. Unlike most male-oriented fanservice shows it wasn't mindless fanservice just for the sake of fanservice. There wasn't a need to awkwardly pan over the guy's bodies as often whereas many fanservice shows like Maken-Ki tend to resort to hamfisted camera angles.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:19 pm Reply with quote
No, no. Of course there would be fanservice due to swimming.

However, what isn't inherent due to swimming is the constant stripping and constant focus of the camera. That's about as 'low-key' as High School of the Dead.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:21 pm Reply with quote
@Chagen46:

The fact that swimming was chosen in the first place was no co-incidence. I'm surprised more fanservice shows haven't featured swim clubs before, because such a sport is tailor-made for getting characters to strip down and show some flesh.

And there were long and loving pans over the boys' bodies in Free!.

It also didn't help that until the training arc none of the boys had an actual personality beyond cookie-cutter stereotypes; cute & hyperactive, tall & mature, passive & introspective, nerdy & neurotic, aggressive & angsty.

While Free! undoubtedly had less obnoxious fanservice than most male-targeted fanservice shows, it isn't blameless.

Last edited by dtm42 on Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I think the reason you won't get a male-oriented fan service show like Free is because "a show about girls who look good and swim" seems practically mundane and passe.

There's plenty of anime aimed at the otome market, but most of them run with a drama-romance or yaoi slash angle. Free was special because it came out and said "Yes! We're going to oggle the boys!", but that's not a premise that will stand out amongst the gaggle of other fan service shows for men running every season. Instead they're all trying to outdo one another with their ridiculous scenario hooks and antics.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4