• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei DVDs Cancelled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biliano

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:49 pm Reply with quote
kraid wrote:
I believe the demand is there, it's just that after word got out how they authored the DVDs, ie using close captioning instead of subtitles and not having chapter breaks in between episodes, among other things, it turned alot of people off. I know I did not buy any of their dvds and this was after I was considering purchasing Slam Dunk. I'll wait and hopefully someone more competent will pick it up.

Same here. I'm patient enough to wait, and hopefully another licensor will pick up Slam Dunk (and the other two titles) and give them the proper treatment. I rented Volume #1 of Slam Dunk last year and was appalled by its presentation. It's too bad because outside of all the technical issues with the release, I thought the first 5 episodes were pretty good, and I was greatly interested in continuing with the series.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:21 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
I have a question...

If an anime company such as Toei goes out of business...what happens to the titles it has control of?

Do titles such as Sailor Moon revert back to the originator? Would she then be able to turn around and sell/license to another company?

What about titles that were thought up by Toei itself? What happens to those?

I hope that I'm making sense of what I'm trying to ask.

Toei itself is not out of business, just the poorly managed and arrogant US office (Toei is a company that thinks it can do whatever it wants, and not what its customers want).

Oh, and the originator for Sailor Moon is Toei

I didn't say that Toei is out of business I said:
Quote:
IF a company SUCH AS Toei goes out of business...

And the originator of Sailor Moon is Takeuchi Naoko.person#82
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
I think it may have something to do with the recebt scandal regarding the Slam Dunk manga and some other manga series that was being published by Kodansha where one manga series plagiarized the other manga series by copying the same style. It was a huge scandal about a year or two ago and this may be Toei's way of saying that they weren't going to be caught up in the middle of the scandal.

Uh, no, this pretty much had absolutely nothing to do with it. There's no reason to just baselessly speculate about this; the sales numbers were absolutely dismal. Worst I've ever seen in the industry.

I doubt it even had much to do with how screwed up the DVDs were; as Tempest said, the utter lack of any promotion whatsoever is probably more responsible for the failure of their titles than the bad quality, which your average consumer wouldn't know about until they paid for it.

Also, the people who say "I believe the support for these titles is there"... I don't get that. This isn't some kind of faith-based argument; you can't look at the numbers and say "Well, I believe this". It's like looking at the sky and saying you believe it to be yellow.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Air Master volume 1-5 (54 and 5 were solicited but never released)

I think you mean "4 and 5" Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shale

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Also, the people who say "I believe the support for these titles is there"... I don't get that. This isn't some kind of faith-based argument; you can't look at the numbers and say "Well, I believe this". It's like looking at the sky and saying you believe it to be yellow.

I don't see how that's an unreasonable argument, if you add the implied "...provided they're competently handled." That is, titles like Air Master and Slam Dunk have as much of a fanbase as many titles that do find some R1 success and could still find that success given a halfway-decent release accompanied by a halfway-decent marketing effort. i.e. the shows didn't sell poorly because they have no appeal, and no existing fans; they sold poorly because Toei US did nothing whatsoever to make them sell well.

Last edited by Shale on Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
mirichan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:01 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

She's the mangaka. She most probably have no rights on the anime itself. If you check the Sailor Moon anime profile, you will see the animation & production were done by Toei. Therefore the product is theirs.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:13 pm Reply with quote
mirichan wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

She's the mangaka. She most probably have no rights on the anime itself. If you check the Sailor Moon anime profile, you will see the animation & production were done by Toei. Therefore the product is theirs.

It does list her as the "Original Creator" but regardless of who actually owns Sailor Moon, my question still stands:

What happens to the titles if a company SUCH AS Toei goes out of business? Who owns them? Are they owned by the "original creator" if that is a manga-ka? If the title was created by someone who worked directly for the anime company, what happens to the title then?
Shadwhawk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:39 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
It does list her as the "Original Creator" but regardless of who actually owns Sailor Moon, my question still stands:

What happens to the titles if a company SUCH AS Toei goes out of business? Who owns them? Are they owned by the "original creator" if that is a manga-ka? If the title was created by someone who worked directly for the anime company, what happens to the title then?

I'm by no means versed in the occult of copyright law, but from what I've gleaned from the internet, even if the company goes out of business, the copyrights are still owned by the company or whoever their debts/assets are assumed by, if any. So if Toei went out of bankrupt and sold all of their assets to, say, Gonzo, Gonzo would now be owner of Sailor Moon.
It would depend on the contract, though. It's entirely possible that the original creator didn't sign away all rights to the show, and retains ultimate ownership of all derivative works, but I figure you'd have to be a superstar to wrangle that sort of deal from the manga publishers and anime producers.
If the manga-ka signed over ALL rights to the company that went bust, then the manga-ka would have no claim to the work.
If you already work for a manga publishing house and you create a series, chances are your contact would say that the publishing house owns the rights (Work for Hire).
If Toei simply...closed, and didn't sell off assets to anyone, then the rights would still be held by Toei, even if it doesn't exist anymore. Presumably they'd ultimately be owned by the last known owner/president/CEO of the company. If nothing is legally done with those copyrights by the time the copyright expires, it becomes public domain (assuming Japan has public domain). In the US, a Work for Hire work is copyrighted for 95 years from first publication or 120 years from creation, whichever is first (self-created is life + 75 years).
So if Toei vanished tomorrow, we'd have to wait about 80 years for it to become public domain (assuming it was made under US law).

I had to deal with some similar crap when I got hired by an elementary school and I tried looking for the current rights-holders to some Macintosh games I wanted Windows versions of. Half the games I looked at had transfered ownership three, four, five times, and at least one I simply couldn't find an owner for (Odell Down Under). Once I realized I'd have to pay upwards of $500 for enough licenses for a single game for my lab or school, I decided further investigation wouldn't be worthwhile.

Anyone with any actual knowledge feel free to correct my Internet-sourced rambling. Smile
Nabeshin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:54 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Lyrai wrote:
Call me out of the loop, but what exactly did Toei do? I've heard people mention Toei being incredibly stupid, but never what they did

Almost no marketing whatsoever for their DVDs (Major press received trailer discs, not the actual discs to review). So their was very little press about them. Anime Insider, Anime News Network, Anime on DVD and Newtype did not review the products before they were released (if at all).

I don't recall Play magazine reviewing them either, so add them to the list, I guess. Confused
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:59 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
mirichan wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

Again, Toei owns the sailor moon anime. The mangaka is the original creator, but her manga company actually own the series and probably has control of it.

Kind of like Stan Lee being the original creator of spider-man, but he doesn't own the rights to any of the movie (he might get a royalty check though).
Raoh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the main reason I never bought the Slam Dunk dvds is because of how messed up they are. A friend of mine bought the first one, and I borrowed it, and I almost wanted to heave at it.

The translation was pretty good, but thats about it.

Everything else in regards to the dvds was subpar, if that.

I would honestly love for Slam Dunk to be released, as the series is great. Its unfortunate that now the anime AND the manga will be left unfinished here.

I think I remember seeing ONE ad for the dvds in a magazine I read. One ad, period.
ganami

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:37 pm Reply with quote
dam, I was waiting for Air Master 4 and 5 to be released. What was Toei expecting, that Fansubbers and word of mouth would be sufficient promotion. Oh well, should be a lesson to Toei.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Shadwhawk wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

I'm by no means versed in the occult of copyright law, but from what I've gleaned from the internet, even if the company goes out of business, the copyrights are still owned by the company or whoever their debts/assets are assumed by, if any. So if Toei went out of bankrupt and sold all of their assets to, say, Gonzo, Gonzo would now be owner of Sailor Moon.
It would depend on the contract, though. It's entirely possible that the original creator didn't sign away all rights to the show, and retains ultimate ownership of all derivative works, but I figure you'd have to be a superstar to wrangle that sort of deal from the manga publishers and anime producers.
If the manga-ka signed over ALL rights to the company that went bust, then the manga-ka would have no claim to the work.
If you already work for a manga publishing house and you create a series, chances are your contact would say that the publishing house owns the rights (Work for Hire).
If Toei simply...closed, and didn't sell off assets to anyone, then the rights would still be held by Toei, even if it doesn't exist anymore. Presumably they'd ultimately be owned by the last known owner/president/CEO of the company. If nothing is legally done with those copyrights by the time the copyright expires, it becomes public domain (assuming Japan has public domain). In the US, a Work for Hire work is copyrighted for 95 years from first publication or 120 years from creation, whichever is first (self-created is life + 75 years).
So if Toei vanished tomorrow, we'd have to wait about 80 years for it to become public domain (assuming it was made under US law).

I had to deal with some similar crap when I got hired by an elementary school and I tried looking for the current rights-holders to some Macintosh games I wanted Windows versions of. Half the games I looked at had transfered ownership three, four, five times, and at least one I simply couldn't find an owner for (Odell Down Under). Once I realized I'd have to pay upwards of $500 for enough licenses for a single game for my lab or school, I decided further investigation wouldn't be worthwhile.

Anyone with any actual knowledge feel free to correct my Internet-sourced rambling. Smile

THANK YOU!!!

You're probably right in that copyright laws especially international one are probably very intricate but you did answer my question and have made things clearer for me.

Thanks again!
biliano

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:04 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Almost no marketing whatsoever for their DVDs (Major press received trailer discs, not the actual discs to review). So their was very little press about them. Anime Insider, Anime News Network, Anime on DVD and Newtype did not review the products before they were released (if at all).

Actually, Anime on DVD did in fact reviewed Slam Dunk Vol. #1-4, Air Master Vol. #1-3, and Interlude:

Air Master Vol. #1
Air Master Vol. #2
Air Master Vol. #3
Interlude
Slam Dunk Vol. #1
Slam Dunk Vol. #2
Slam Dunk Vol. #3
Slam Dunk Vol. #4

Newtype USA reviewed Slam Dunk Vol. #1 in their April 2005 issue. The review, which was written by Phil Theobald, is found on page 177. In that same issue on page 182, Chris Johnston reviewed Air Master Vol. #1.
kinnonyee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:33 pm Reply with quote
This forum is getting filled with wrong facts as usual.
Anyways I'm surprised ANN hasn't reported this IMPORTANT fact as of yet. It was pretty big news in this summer.

The new President and COO of Toei Animation Inc. (US)
is Yosuke "James" Kobayashi.

Sound familiar? He used to be the head at Geneon.

I always wondered why ANN doesn't talk about certain key people in the american industry that have shifted recently like him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4