• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Trials of the Soul

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WWAanimefan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:04 pm Reply with quote
One of the few times I wish I had a Wii. I remember MCOG on Nickelodeon back in the 80's. Oh dear, the theme song is playing in my head again. "Children of the sun..."
ishmael

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There's a point where a video game series becomes a franchise, where the ports and spin-offs and quasi-sequels grow so thick that the next major game isn't all that major. I don't doubt that Persona Q will be a good dungeon hack or that Dancing All Night won't have its charms, but Persona now encroaches on Final Fantasy territory, where the whole of it is too broad for a new game to matter as much as its carefully meted-out predecessors did—especially when it's still in high school.

This just seems like a poor attempt at finding a negative side to a hotly announced news.

There are a few spin-offs to Persona, and the fighter surprised a lot of people by being both pretty solid and having a nice story. It's nowhere close to the milking of better known franchises, and if it can somehow help make Persona a better know series, the better.

As for the game being in high school, while I wouldn't mind a change of setting, Persona is one of the few games where you play in such a setting - modern Japan high school. It's unique and there are plenty of games to play older characters in more mature settings. If they can come up interesting stories, they can keep making Persona 10 in high school for all i care, it's not like there's a new main Persona game every year... or even every few years!
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Mitsuru's my favorite Persona character. I'm happy she'll be in the 3DS game. I wonder if she will appear in Persona 5?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:33 am Reply with quote
ishmael wrote:

Persona is one of the few games where you play in such a setting - modern Japan high school. It's unique

Wait, did ya just say few games and unique? Very Happy
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:16 am Reply with quote
This seems as good a place as any to ask: out of the newest PERSONA games (PERSONA 3, PERSONA 4, THE GOLDEN), which would be a better one to play first? I plan to treat myself with one of these, but I'd like to start with the most accessible one for a complete PERSONA (and MEGATEN in general) neophyte.

Thanks.
ishmael

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:44 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
ishmael wrote:

Persona is one of the few games where you play in such a setting - modern Japan high school. It's unique

Wait, did ya just say few games and unique? Very Happy

Kinda unique? Laughing

I wrote that too quickly!
Dmysta3000

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:31 am Reply with quote
Anton Chigurh wrote:
This seems as good a place as any to ask: out of the newest PERSONA games (PERSONA 3, PERSONA 4, THE GOLDEN), which would be a better one to play first? I plan to treat myself with one of these, but I'd like to start with the most accessible one for a complete PERSONA (and MEGATEN in general) neophyte.

Thanks.

As for P3 go with the FES version (you can buy it off PSN)

For P4, get The Golden.

I'd say go with P4 first
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:07 am Reply with quote
Dmysta3000 wrote:
Anton Chigurh wrote:

Thanks.

As for P3 go with the FES version (you can buy it off PSN)

For P4, get The Golden.

I'd say go with P4 first

So far as I know, P4 is still not available on the PS3, which is why I haven't played it yet. P4 *Arena* is available on PSN, however it isn't a mainline game. So if, like me, all you have is a PS3, then P3 FES is really the only way to go.
DRWii

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Anton Chigurh wrote:
out of the newest PERSONA games (PERSONA 3, PERSONA 4, THE GOLDEN), which would be a better one to play first?

Not knowing what systems you have, I'm just going to recommend based on the games themselves.

First, "Golden" isn't a separate game, it's a re-release of "P4" with new content. I haven't played this version yet, but everyone else seems to swear by it, so if you have a Vita that's the version to get. If you don't have a Vita, the original version on PS2 should suffice.

For "Persona 3," definitely get the "FES" edition. It's available on PSN, but I've heard that version has performance issues the original didn't have, so if you have a PS2 (or an older PS3), get that one. A lot of people may disagree with me, but I think it's worth double-dipping for the PSP version as well; sure it doesn't have the epilogue campaign from "FES" and it isn't fully 3D, but the new content it does have is too good to pass up.

As for choosing whether to start with "P3" or "P4," that depends. If you're the kind of gamer that places gameplay above all else, absolutely start with "P4," as it's the more polished and refined one. Otherwise, I'd say flip a coin; they both have good stories and characters, but in different ways.

Anton Chigurh wrote:
I'd like to start with the most accessible one for a complete PERSONA (and MEGATEN in general) neophyte.

While I started with "P3" and "P4" and got into "MegaTen" as a whole, it seems like most people who start with those games pretty much only like them, and don't really care for the rest of the franchise. If you play one or both of them and are curious about getting into the franchise, I think the "Digital Devil Saga" games on PS2 are a nice in-between. The gameplay is streamlined like new-school "Persona", but the style/tone of the story has more in common with the main/old-school "MegaTen" games.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:13 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
For "Persona 3," definitely get the "FES" edition. It's available on PSN, but I've heard that version has performance issues the original didn't have, so if you have a PS2 (or an older PS3), get that one.

I'll just say that I just got through spending well over 100 hours playing P3 FES on the PS3 and never encountered any glitches or issues playing the game. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Also, I think P2 is also on PSN. But, IIRC, it's originally a PS1 game, so YMMV on whether or not you should play it. I'm giving it a pass, myself.
DRWii

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I'll just say that I just got through spending well over 100 hours playing P3 FES on the PS3 and never encountered any glitches or issues playing the game. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I'm pretty sure I heard the PSN version had more slowdown than the physical version, but it's cool if that's not the case. I already owned the PS2 copy long before Atlus put it on PSN, so I never played it myself.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Also, I think P2 is also on PSN. But, IIRC, it's originally a PS1 game, so YMMV on whether or not you should play it. I'm giving it a pass, myself.

It doesn't help that the one on PSN is "Eternal Punishment," which I don't think has as much impact if you haven't played "P2: Innocent Sin" first.

I definitely don't like the gameplay of older "Persona" games as much as the newer ones. The battle system in 2 is fine once you get used to it, but getting Personas is such a pain. I personally still think "P2" is worth going through for the story (the ending of "EP" is great), but unless you're something of a completionist like me, just skip the first "Persona." Even the PSP remake.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm amazed that "The Mysterious Cities of Gold" is returning with a new series. I'm even more amazed that there's going to be a video game based on said series. I was surprised to learn that the video game's going to China. I thought that the Seven Cities of Gold were in the Americas. I thought the new series was going to go to North America. The Spanish were a considerable presence in this part of the world as well.
I don't understand why Esteban and Company are going to go to China when the legends of the Seven Cities of Gold lie in the Americas. I have no idea why they're doing this.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Crying or Very sad

Still annoyed that Soul Calibur II didn't come out for the Wii U. Link being in the GameCube version is what caught my attention and got me into the series!

More Persona 4 merchandising! Excited for Persona 5 though, loved Shin Megami Tensei IV's battle system, hoping the overworld and dialogue are polished.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:56 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

It doesn't help that the one on PSN is "Eternal Punishment," which I don't think has as much impact if you haven't played "P2: Innocent Sin" first.

Yes, it is EP. And it was on sale for $5 last week. It's the only thing I've ever bought on PSN, and I bought it so I could have both P2 on my PSP. Unfortunately, I'll have to put up with two different translations.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Anton Chigurh wrote:

Thanks.

If you have a Vita, absolutely get Golden. It's P4 with A LOT of new additions. More characters, more recorded lines, more gameplay. I've logged roughly 350 hours on that game, and I'm still not tired of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3