• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Welcome to ANN 5.0

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I hate the new layout, had to use the first option of text-only, and I HATE the sidebar. Too much clutter. ANN 5.0 right now is a big Downgrade.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:39 pm Reply with quote
@Chagen and Mad Scientist: Ahh, much better, thank you. Smile

Still not a fan of the toolbar. Like I said earlier, I'm used to holding down the "pgdn" button to get to the last post on a page. Now, it just keeps scrolling down past the forums entirely. Hitting the "-" button on it gets rid of the pictures which helps some, but it's still horribly inconvenient.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it looks fine but scrolling through all the missed articles after a few days will be hell
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
yeah this new ANN 5.0 will take me a while to get used to. I'll have to get familiar with this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote
right, so logging on after a few hours away to find the new site up and running was a bit of a surprise, but I'm over it now and I've figured things out. any idea as to when My Anime 2 will replace the original?
zeonozero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I've been using the new version since they started letting people test the beta. I'm completely okay with this change and it seems easier to use as everything is bigger and more readable
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
This toolbar in the forums is REALLY starting to annoy me...

I don't want it moved to the side. I don't want it moved to the bottom.

I want it *GONE*. As in NOT THERE.

And I want the full-sized forums back, as well. These white spaces on the side are hella annoying. Evil or Very Mad

Got to "account settings" and then "preferences". Select "200" and the white space is mostly gone.

Thank you the forums are now readable again.
jet_

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I can't see how taking up half of the screen with nonsense is an improvement.
And what happened to the login page?

EDIT:
Quote:
ANN 5.0 is not a finished project

Well that explains it.

Last edited by jet_ on Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
It would be nice if we could get some slightly more cooperative BBCode shortcut buttons.

One of the things that Smorgasborg makes easier for us, is changing the forum. It's not the top item on our to-do list, but PHPBB2 will be replaced soon. Possibly with a newer version of PHPBB, possibly with another off-the-shelf forum.

I nixed the suggestion that we make our own forum from scratch. We have much better things to spend our dev time on.

-t
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Any means you have at knocking off the news article listings that appear at the bottom of any page besides the home page? The large number of article links and images (with the option to have them appear as a list or in a newsletter-like style) are all well and good in appearance for the home page, but having them appear on the bottom of each page and in large font and images makes each page on the site look a bit cluttered.

EDIT: The cluttered look seems to only come whenever I reduce the window size of my browser, which results in whatever is on the side to automatically collapse to the bottom of a page. Otherwise in a full or large enough window, you have the option to bring the side links either to the side or the bottom of the page. My apologies for my ignorance.

Last edited by Ggultra2764 on Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:01 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Still not a fan of the toolbar. Like I said earlier, I'm used to holding down the "pgdn" button to get to the last post on a page. Now, it just keeps scrolling down past the forums entirely. Hitting the "-" button on it gets rid of the pictures which helps some, but it's still horribly inconvenient.

Noted. We'll find a way to fix this.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Eh, this is going to take awhile for me to get used to...

It seems like the forum pages are clustered together more with less spaces.. basically it's more of a hazard since I only see about half of what I was used to previously. I just changed my acct preferences so that made it more convenient in a way. Otherwise, still not entirely used to this yet.

The new side bar is what annoys me a bit right now. The designs looks clean though so that's nicely done. It's also going to take me awhile to start getting used to navigate the forums with this new feature.

Last edited by Stark700 on Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:05 pm Reply with quote
By the way, a lot of people have complaints about the side-bar. That's actually the next thing we're going to develop.

We'll be asking for feedback about the Side-bar in the near future.

-t
CountZeroOR
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I don't have too many problems with it, though the change didn't fix my biggest problems with the site: Organization by date.

I can't sort reviews by date so I can tell if I've missed a recent review.
I can't sort show listings on "people" pages in the database by date, so I can't tell what someone's first role was. I realize that this may be really difficult to implement from a technical standpoint. Still, that option would make the site much more useful for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Progeusz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
To those who don't like the changes: any chance you could express your views without coming across like massive tools? Is registering your opinion politely really uncool or something? Rolling Eyes
Why should I put an effort in expressing my opinion when staff clearly didn't put any effort into making the new site look good? Haven't they ever heard about beta-testing? White spaces are atrocious. Contrast between cluttered front page filling whole screen and tiny narrow area in the middle when browsing forum is terrible. Useless sidebar is useless and takes up too much space and we can't even get rid of it properly.
100 characters is recommended for one line of text? I think it's time to wake up and realize we're living in XXI century, 1024x768 is no longer a norm.
The selling point of ann was presenting lots of news in neat format. Now we get some retarded huge puzzles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 18