• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cannot look up new posts

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichardFromMarple

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:14 pm Reply with quote
In the last few hours I've not been able to search for any new posts.

I click on the feature to do this but I only get a message telling be they haven't been any new ones, but I can clearly see some have been posted when I look the idiviual catagories.

Does anyone know what is going on.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:13 pm Reply with quote
It's a glitch. It's actually been around for longer than 5.0, but 5.0's making it way worse.

As far as I can tell, there's 2 parts to the problem:

Part 1: The forums main page are registering you as having recently visited, so it's saying that you don't have any new posts. It's been doing this when I open my browser in 5.0, and it's always done it when I've had to re-log in.

Part 2: The individual forum pages register your last visit, and show new posts properly. However, Part 1 is still in effect on individual threads, so it won't let you actually view posts since last visit.

Hopefully we'll be getting phpBB3 soon, which actually acknowledges your last visit to each individual thread, so, say, if you're behind a few episodes on an anime and don't view it's discussion thread, when you catch up and go back in, it'll take you to where you left off, not just the posts since you last visited the forums as a whole.
RichardFromMarple

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:02 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
It's a glitch. It's actually been around for longer than 5.0, but 5.0's making it way worse.

As far as I can tell, there's 2 parts to the problem:

Part 1: The forums main page are registering you as having recently visited, so it's saying that you don't have any new posts. It's been doing this when I open my browser in 5.0, and it's always done it when I've had to re-log in.

Part 2: The individual forum pages register your last visit, and show new posts properly. However, Part 1 is still in effect on individual threads, so it won't let you actually view posts since last visit.

Hopefully we'll be getting phpBB3 soon, which actually acknowledges your last visit to each individual thread, so, say, if you're behind a few episodes on an anime and don't view it's discussion thread, when you catch up and go back in, it'll take you to where you left off, not just the posts since you last visited the forums as a whole.

OK thanks for looking into this, it seemed to forget everything that had been posted between visits.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:21 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it's an annoyance, and I dunno how to fix it, I've just had to deal with it every time I randomly get logged out.

The forums are supposed to be getting an upgrade, and, like I said, phpBB3 is a lot better about the "posts since last visit" thing anyway, so I've just been holding out for that.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I don't know where this question goes, and don't have time to pore over all the site posts for something so trivial (yet has puzzled me from the beginning), but this seems like it might be related.

What does the title of a thread being either dark or faint indicate? It doesn't mean I haven't read all of the posts in the thread, nor does it mean that I have. I've tested both those options, and I just can't come up with any other ideas that explain when or why it changes. Is it some arcane combination of one of those and how recently I've logged in?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:45 pm Reply with quote
A forum title being faint is used the standard "visited" HTML styling which means you have viewed the thread before. If you cleared your history they would all revert to the default colour.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, doesn't seem to be working that way for me. Looking at my tracker, only three of the threads on the entire first page is lighter colored, even though I've obviously visited all of them, have visited most of the recent ones today, and have read the whole threads of most, but not all of them. ::scratches head::

Oh well, at least I finally know what it's supposed to signify! It doesn't really matter if it's working right or not. Smile Thanks!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1