• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Theatrical Shenanegans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

Type A = Story-driven
Type B = Character-driven

I've always disagreed with this catergorization mainly because ALL stories are partly plot-driven and story-driven. I mean...you don't have a story without plot (even Slice of Life shows have episodic plots) nor do you have one without interesting characters.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:35 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

Type A = Story-driven
Type B = Character-driven

I've always disagreed with this catergorization mainly because ALL stories are partly plot-driven and story-driven. I mean...you don't have a story without plot (even Slice of Life shows have episodic plots) nor do you have one without interesting characters.

I completely agree. I think it is pretty much impossible to have a truly good anime without a combination of both. A viewer can, however, prioritize one above the other. I think that is what the definition is attempting to convey. I know people like that for sure. Like VORTIA was saying earlier, clearly he/she tends to prioritize likable and relate-able characters over a well-written story.
tehyar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:18 am Reply with quote
It really does get exhausting listening to people who support their tastes by dismissing those who disagree with them using bitter social and moral commentary, and application of labels. Instead of "that's not for me", it's "it's stupid, and you're a bunch of idiots for liking it". Self-righteous dreck.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:28 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The terms "Shounen", "Shoujo", and "Seinen" are all silly anyway. They are far too broad in terms of style and target audience to really mean anything. Heck, even "Josei", the term that has kept more of its original meaning than the others, is still too vague.

That said, while narrowing all anime and manga down to four categories is useless, narrowing them down to just two is fairly logical. As relyat08 spoke about, in a simplified sense you can boil anime down to story-driven and character-driven. Neither is better than the other, and all fiction has elements of both. Using the labels "Type A" and "Type B" makes it sound like the former is better than the latter, and that just isn't true.

Uhhh...I don't think you understand what Shonen et al are for. They are demographic categories. They aren't genre descriptors at all.

They work perfectly well for their intended task.
c933103

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:44 pm Reply with quote
From the article, I heard of the Tuff for the first time.
If madoka's east asia oversea release is using this system, then things would be much better.
For example it won't be necessary to cause 5-hour network congestion in Taiwan, despite having no bonus goods attached
Or it won't require people line up overnight in Hong Kong, and pay double compare to japan
Or it can probably reduce the incentive of someone probably from mainland China record the film in theater and put that online
Just to watch the madoka 3rd movie.
noigeL

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
The Type A/Type B labels are dumb. Stop using them.

Oh, well you heard him folks. Fencedude5609 has given a command, we all damn well better obey. Or else.

Or else what? Exactly.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Uhhh...I don't think you understand what Shonen et al are for. They are demographic categories. They aren't genre descriptors at all.

Yes, I know very well that they are demographic descriptors, I did not say or imply that they weren't. They are also descriptors for some of the story structures involved.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
They work perfectly well for their intended task.

They aren't all that useful in a demographic sense, because the demographics involved are so broad as to be unworkable. The idea that you can pigeonhole people's preferences based on gender and approximate age is just not workable in today's world.

In a story structure sense they are still somewhat useful. Josei tends to be about adults (though even then there's Chihayafuru . . . ), shoujo usually focuses on romance or wider relationships between people, and shounen has the typical get-stronger-and-face-more-enemies narrative. (Seinen is a bit all over the place, so doesn't really have a common structure.)
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:00 pm Reply with quote
@noigeL
So Fencedude5609 is not very diplomatic. This will come as a great surprise to those who know and love him. However, in this case, as much as I hate to side with him, he is correct.

The A & B categories are at best useless and at worst divisive. As defined they are not very accurate descriptors of specific anime. Many shows fall in both categories and some fall in neither. In addition they are not good descriptors of anime fans. Real people seldom fall in such narrow groups.

These lists have had far too much attention. They serve no useful purpose other than to start arguments.
Timeenforceranubis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Tone arguments aside, Fencedude has a point. The Type A/Type B dichotomy is fake. It doesn't exist. It was made up by a bunch of disgruntled anime fans on 2ch who hate moé and think that moé fans are lesser fans. That's it, and the longer we continue to use these labels to identify ourselves and one another, the longer it will take before this dumb line in the sand is erased.

Now, I'm not saying categorization is bad. It's a heuristic. We all do it because it makes things easier to think about at a basic level. What I am saying is that this particular set of categories was specifically created to put a false dichotomy in place, where you're either a member of the glorious story-focused master race, or one of the unwashed character-focused peasants.

Let's stop giving steam to this dumb, incredibly biased dichotomy.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:34 am Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:

I've always struggled to find a genre of entertainment I really like. I find a lot of Western novels to be an absolute bore, American film and entertainment largely unengaging, and Western Comics to be fun but largely a hollow experience. It wasn't until it dawned on me that my primary interest was in characters that it all clicked. I actually love a lot of movies from the golden age of Hollywood - musicals and dramas from back before special effects became the thing. The common denominator was character driven entertainment.

Well, any medium like TV has those too. It's like, people always say there's nothing good on TV, but that's not true. There's more than enough things on TV there's something for everyone. Same with anime medium. Just look and try.
rydia251

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:54 am Reply with quote
There are plenty of "engaging" western shows. I was initially drawn to anime several years ago for "something different" (though my first anime experience was 20+ years ago in middle school). My primary interest is in "character-driven" stories, whether western or eastern.

In the past couple weeks, I have watched Archer seasons 2/3, Mad Men seasons 4/5, A Cat in Paris, Skyfall, and World's End - plus a ton of anime, including Clannad/After Story (first watch), Magic Knight Rayearth, plus several others on Crunchyroll not worth mentioning.

As much as I love anime, the western shows I watched in this period were the most "engaging" overall (especially Mad Men, but Clannad is a close second).

Mad Men is an exceptional "character-driven" western series.

The A/B lists are useless. Like a lot of folks here, I fall into both depending on the day and the show I am currently watching...
noigeL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:28 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
noigeL wrote:

Haven't been using those labels; this is my first post in this thread. I take issue with the way you phrased yourself.

There's a term for that. Its called Tone Trolling.

Its very obnoxious.

Posting commands as if you're in a position of authority is obnoxious.

Get over yourself.

Pick your battles.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:50 am Reply with quote
Based solely on my spending habits, it sounds like I might fit into a "type B". I tend to buy those single cour sets or OVAs (UC and Arise woo!) though. The longest volume release set I have is Tiger & Bunny (nine volume) and that was mostly due to a combined interest of my girlfriend and I. Yeahhh, single cours are your friend.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
My theory is that many Type A fans are too busy being picky and over-critical, seizing on any flaw or imperfection as an excuse to not buy a series, thereby making themselves look discerning and elite. Type B fans, for all their supposed intellectual and personal failings, are more forgiving and more willing to buy what they love, so Type B continues to dominate.

Or it may be that casual fans will always outnamber the more critical ones. Not that there is something wrong with it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I skimmed through this thread and this division into type A and B seems ill-thought-out. I mean, Utena and Mawaru Penguindrum are character-driven stories, so they are type B shows?

I haven't seen many moe shows, but from what I have seen, moe girls don't have interesting characterization. One or at best few character traits and sometimes sad backstories to induce tears from viewers, but that's usually all there is to them. Because of that I cannot call those show character-driven, the girls lack good, complex characterization that needs to be revealed to the viewer and don't undergo any meaningful character development. They cannot become, for example, mature women, because it is not what the target audience wants. And watching characters, of any gender, that have no or very little character development (in the broad sense) is awfully boring, especially if they are not doing anything interesting.

I like character-driven stories, I loved watching Utena, Mawaru Penguindrum and reading Anna Karenina, George Eliot's works, but moe shows don't come close to their psychological insight.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:

I skimmed through this thread and this division into type A and B seems ill-thought-out. I mean, Utena and Mawaru Penguindrum are character-driven stories, so they are type B shows?

No. Although the story may be driven by the characters interactions, those are still about that story, and thus "Type A". Type B would be when the show is about the characters themselves as entertainment. Great shows, though! I love Ikuhara's work!

Quote:
I haven't seen many moe shows, but from what I have seen, moe girls don't have interesting characterization. One or at best few character traits and sometimes sad backstories to induce tears from viewers, but that's usually all there is to them.

I'd say that's a pretty gross generalisation, but like anything, for every good example, there's a legion of poorly rendered copies.

Quote:
Because of that I cannot call those show character-driven, the girls lack good, complex characterization that needs to be revealed to the viewer and don't undergo any meaningful character development.

And yet, the primary appeal of them is the characters. Fans of them do not expect a story of their deep introspection and development. They want to enjoy experiencing the characters as they are.

Quote:
They cannot become, for example, mature women, because it is not what the target audience wants. And watching characters, of any gender, that have no or very little character development (in the broad sense) is awfully boring, especially if they are not doing anything interesting.

Yep, being bored that the story doesn't go anywhere is a pretty textbook Type A perspective!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9