• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Theatrical Shenanegans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:29 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
No. Although the story may be driven by the characters interactions, those are still about that story, and thus "Type A". Type B would be when the show is about the characters themselves as entertainment. Great shows, though! I love Ikuhara's work!

And yet, the primary appeal of them is the characters. Fans of them do not expect a story of their deep introspection and development. They want to enjoy experiencing the characters as they are.

Yep, being bored that the story doesn't go anywhere is a pretty textbook Type A perspective!

You are changing the definition of character-driven story.
Character-driven describes stories where the emphasis is on characterization, inner conflict, and relationships. Such stories can have a Goal that is more internal, such as changing an attitude or becoming something.

Plot-driven describes stories where the emphasis is more on plot twists, external conflict, and action. Often the story goals are more external such as obtaining, winning, escaping, or changing a situation.

So, a character-driven story may be about everyday life, but it doesn't mean it goes nowhere. A good character driven story must go somewhere whether it is becoming a more mature person like in Utena or disintegration of a mature attitude like in Anna Karenina.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:

So, a character-driven story may be about everyday life, but it doesn't mean it goes nowhere. A good character driven story must go somewhere whether it is becoming a more mature person like in Utena or disintegration of a mature attitude like in Anna Karenina.

And they do go somewhere. It may not be anywhere epic, but they do develop.

You admit that you haven't watched many, or any, of these shows. So how exactly can you make any assertions as to how they stand in terms of characterization?
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
I skimmed through this thread and this division into type A and B seems ill-thought-out.

I agree.
But it is no more ill-thought-out than arbitrarily grouping together a large number of shows that you know little about and dismissing them as being all the same.

Quote:
I haven't seen many moe shows,

And because of that you are drawing very generalized conclusions that do apply to some shows but do not apply to many others.

Aylinn wrote:

That is probably true.
In this context people are using "character driven," as opposed to "plot driven" to refer to shows that are watched for the characters, rather than for the story.
Of course there is no clear boundary between the two.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

You admit that you haven't watched many, or any, of these shows. So how exactly can you make any assertions as to how they stand in terms of characterization?

I think I have suffered through enough of them. Besides, I also read opinions of other people who liked and disliked a show. That's how I come to know a lot about Clanned, even though I have never watched it.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

I think I have suffered through enough of them. Besides, I also read opinions of other people who liked and disliked a show. That's how I come to know a lot about Clanned, even though I have never watched it.

I do hope you aren't asserting that Clannad isn't plot focused.

Also, "enough" is so very vague. Which ones are you actually basing this conclusion on?
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:

"character driven story" isn't in the original definition of Type B.

Type B wrote:
A person who simply enjoys “characters.”

Will watch an anime if it includes cute or beautiful characters.

Doesn’t care if story is awful, as long as the characters are of interest.

Evaluates anime based on which seiyuu are in it and what the characters look like.

Loves moe elements. Doesn’t like complex anime.

The otaku the media picks up on are usually this kind.

Doesn’t know that much about anime and so is often criticised as by Type A otaku.

However, they make much better customers than the more discerning Type A otaku.

Recently there has been a huge increase in anime targeted at Type B otaku.

People who like K-ON!, Queen’s Blade, Strike Witches and so on would be in this class.

Type B is about a focus on characters as entertainment, not a story focused on character drama.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9