• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Theatrical Shenanegans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
My theory is that many Type A fans are too busy being picky and over-critical, seizing on any flaw or imperfection as an excuse to not buy a series, thereby making themselves look discerning and elite. Type B fans, for all their supposed intellectual and personal failings, are more forgiving and more willing to buy what they love, so Type B continues to dominate.

*"Type B" also includes non-prurient otaku-oriented anime like K-On, Hidamari Sketch, etc.

I think Type A fans just don't really care about anime enough to spend the money (its like 350-400 dollars for a 12-13 episode series), while the Type B fans are far more hardcore about their hobby and willing to pay it. Its really tough for people to be able to stomach those kinds of prices unless anime is basically their entire life, and Type A fans to me seem more like "Normal" people who happen to watch anime and enjoy other types of entertainment as well.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm still trying to figure out how Kill la Kill ISN'T a boob show.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:55 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

I guess that depends on how you define that, no?
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:00 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

I watch it for the crotch shots.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

It isn't completely focused on boobs. The show has other redeeming qualities and the fanservice mostly comes from a few characters such as Ryūko, not nearly the whole cast.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

It isn't completely focused on boobs. The show has other redeeming qualities and the fanservice mostly comes from a few characters such as Ryūko, not nearly the whole cast.

"other redeeming qualities" is a great set of weasel words.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's not like it really shows anything, so the same level of titillation isn't present in the same way as Senran Kagura, which also shows nothing, but does focus more on the jiggles and cleavage.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
"other redeeming qualities" is a great set of weasel words.

My point was that KLK is not a show you watch for JUST fanservice. I watch it for the crazy Imaishi wackiness, the plot, the great and dynamic storyboarding and the OST.

A "boob show" is one that exists solely to show off (usually badly-drawn though the virgin audience would of course be incognizant of that) boobs. Like High School DxD or Ikki Tousen.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:42 pm Reply with quote
The JP Studio Ghibli discs are the way to go. I own the entire set.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
A "boob show" is one that exists solely to show off (usually badly-drawn though the virgin audience would of course be incognizant of that) boobs. Like High School DxD or Ikki Tousen.

"Look at me, I made an off-hand condescending remark. I bet everything will think I'm so cool and mature for telling people off, I sure hope non of that shit-flinging ever comes back my way."
Timeenforceranubis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quote
It's come up a couple times in the thread, and I feel like I have to say something, so here goes.

The Type A/Type B dichotomy is made-up. It's not an actual thing.

I mean, take a look at the language that was used when it was proposed:

Type A wrote:
A person who simply enjoys “anime.”

Is proud of Japan’s anime.

Evaluates anime based on direction, voice acting, art, etc.

Hates shallow anime with no real content.

Story emphasis >>>>> Moe anime.

A recent example would Higashi no Eden. Fans of anime like Lain or Ghost in the Shell would probably be this kind.

Type B wrote:
A person who simply enjoys “characters.”

Will watch an anime if it includes cute or beautiful characters.

Doesn’t care if story is awful, as long as the characters are of interest.

Evaluates anime based on which seiyuu are in it and what the characters look like.

Loves moe elements. Doesn’t like complex anime.

The otaku the media picks up on are usually this kind.

Doesn’t know that much about anime and so is often criticised as by Type A otaku.

However, they make much better customers than the more discerning Type A otaku.

Recently there has been a huge increase in anime targeted at Type B otaku.

People who like K-ON!, Queen’s Blade, Strike Witches and so on would be in this class.

I mean, come on, man. It's quite clearly skewed toward making Type A fans look like the Übermensch when compared to the lowly Type B peasants. Discounting the fact that a lot of "Type B" fans still watch "Type A" anime. Discounting the fact that "moe elements" still show up in "Type A" anime. Discounting the fact that characters and story are both important.

Let's stop pretending this is a thing, folks.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:19 pm Reply with quote
That dichotomy might exist pertaining to your reasons for watching a specific series, but it doesn't mean it defines what you like overall. There are some series I'll watch for purely superficial reasons, and others I'll watch because I want to get into its story. Like, sure as hell not going through the Snow Queen because of seiyuu or character designs, but what happens when you watch an anime like Gunbuster, which is full of all different kinds of fanservice and anime references but still contains an awesome story and development of character?

I prefer Type C: I'll watch whatever I want to for whatever goddamn reason I please.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
That dichotomy might exist pertaining to your reasons for watching a specific series, but it doesn't mean it defines what you like overall. There are some series I'll watch for purely superficial reasons, and others I'll watch because I want to get into its story. Like, sure as hell not going through the Snow Queen because of seiyuu or character designs, but what happens when you watch an anime like Gunbuster, which is full of all different kinds of fanservice and anime references but still contains an awesome story and development of character?

Yeah, the "Type A"/"Type B" is far too limiting. Personally I see parts of both that apply to me.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Yeah, the "Type A"/"Type B" is far too limiting. Personally I see parts of both that apply to me.

Or, what do you received with something like Yamato 2199, which is clearly fanservice to older fans and sci-fi anime fans at large, and it also dumps in a bunch of cuties?

30,000 in sales. Hell, most of the big sellers mix in elements of both halves of the coin, whereas something like Aku no Hana's anime completely falters and burns along with Yuasa's work. Art for arts sake can be great, but it doesn't mean it must be devoid of certain qualities most anime possess. Evangelion doesn't sell like gangbusters because every single fan is in it for the psychological woes alone, they want robots and Rei.

The only big seller I can't for whatever reason discern its success is Infinite Stratos, it just sits like anomaly for being a fairly generic harem that somehow manages to outsell everything like it by several factors; there's far better harem anime that do worse consistently. If the Type B thing were true, any single show with cute girls and the right seiyuu, regardless of other qualities, would sell 7k plus easy, which is demonstrably proven false every season. Even hardcore moe otaku who would fit into the Type B category still look for things like animation and quality in the workmanship. If anything Type B anime are approached with a Type A attitude.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:49 am Reply with quote
Anyone who thinks moe fans aren't discerning about quality and can't be pretentious elitists hasn't talked to enough Kyoani fans. There are definitely quality standards in terms of directing, animating, and acting that matter to moe fans. The accusation that all fans of moe anime will simply buy anything with cute girls in it is baseless libel.

If there's any truth to the whole "Type A/B" definition, it's that some people are more interested in story, while others are more focused on the characters. I think it's a gross oversimplification to assume that most fans are purely one or the other, or that caring about characters means you don't care about quality.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9