• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Box of Crap

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terminus24

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I picked this up, all in all not a bad deal. I'll keep and complete what I like, and sell what I don't. And since they're all relatively short DVDs with either a movie or 3-5 episodes each, I could make it throug maybe 2 discs a night.

Anyways, my box included:
Appleseed
Armitage: Dual Matrix
Astro Boy: The Beginning
Burn-Up Scramble 1
Dragon Hunters 1-4
Ex-Driver The Movie
Fighting Spirit 1
Gregory Horror Show 1
Gun X Sword 1,5, and 7
Heat Guy J 1
Last Exile 1-4
Lupin The 3rd 7
The Melody of Oblivion 3
Rumiko Takahashi Anthology 1
Serial Experiments Lain 1
Submarine 707R (Both Standard and Limited editions)
The Soul Taker 2, 4
Viewtiful Joe 1
X Volume 3
Zipang 1
victor viper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:49 pm Reply with quote
What an interesting article. To this day, it amazes me just how badly some companies seemingly overestimated the demand for DVD's (ADV and Geneon were the worst offenders). I can imagine the following exchange:

Middle manager at Geneon: "How many copies of Burn Up Scramble volume 1 are we gonna need to replicate?"
Geneon employee: I don't know---maybe 50,000?
Middle manager: Okay, we're on it!

If Crunchyroll and Rightstuf can turn a profit selling all this stuff for $1-$4 per disc, you have to wonder how much ADV and Geneon actually pocketed from these tens of thousands of DVD's out there. How much did it cost per disc to replicate DVD's back in 2006 or so anyway (to say nothing of the upfront costs associated with licensing a show)?

Anyway, if Geneon and ADV never had to write off this huge cost, you wonder if they'd both still be doing business today.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...the generally excellent SoulTaker...

SoulTaker?

Excellent?
linneaha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Personally I got:
Appleseed
Armitage: Dual Matrix "Special Edition"
Burn Up Scramble disc 1
Dragon Hunters discs 1,2,3,4
ex-Driver: the Movie
Fighting Spirit disc 1
Gregory Horror Show disc 1
Gun x Sword discs 1,5,7
Koi Kaze disc 1
Last Exile: box set (4 discs)
The Law of Ueki disc 2
3 random Lupin the 3rd discs
Melody of Oblivion disc 1
Rumiko Takahashi Anthology disc 1
Lain disc 1
Submarine 707R "Limited Edition"
Viewtiful Joe disc 1
X discs 4, 7
Zipang disc 1
angieness

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if anyone got one of these without Appleseed in it.
ZorinBlitz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote
The box of crap is right, they're dvd's that barely anyone is buying and rightstuf wants to get rid of them. Those dvd's are from rightstuf, same thing with their mystery dvd's, crap no one buys.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
victor viper wrote:

If Crunchyroll and Rightstuf can turn a profit selling all this stuff for $1-$4 per disc, you have to wonder how much ADV and Geneon actually pocketed from these tens of thousands of DVD's out there.

Rightstuf can "profit" from it because ADV & Geneon's stocks were likely liquidated to them at prices of around a quarter a disk or less. Essentially, Geneon and ADV could either pay tp have it halled away as garbage or sell it to Rightstuf for a song.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Didn't order one this year(deal happened in the middle of moving).

But ordered one last year that strangely had all 3 volumes of Moeyo Ken TV in my box. Although opened(to make sure the discs were in the cases), still have not made it past that first episode.

angieness wrote:
I wonder if anyone got one of these without Appleseed in it.

It just makes me wonder how many copies Geneon printed if Rightstuf still has so many in their warehouse.

Make me wonder why Crunchyroll/Rightstuf does this deal every so often. Is it to make a little money off of them or just a way for Rightstuf to clear out crap that wouldn't sell otherwise?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
You know, as interesting as it might be, I could never get one of these. The idea of getting individual discs from a series and not having the whole thing would drive my OCD up the wall.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Even worse, the hassle of trying to sell the unwanted stuff (which is why these boxes exist in the first place). I'm not sure I could bear to just throw them in the trash. I have trouble throwing AOL floppies away. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Speaking of selling, where are the best places to offer old collections, or the singles BOCs leave you with? There are so many bootlegs on ebay and amazon, it's hard to convince buyers you have a legit set.
terminus24

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Even worse, the hassle of trying to sell the unwanted stuff (which is why these boxes exist in the first place). I'm not sure I could bear to just throw them in the trash. I have trouble throwing AOL floppies away. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Speaking of selling, where are the best places to offer old collections, or the singles BOCs leave you with? There are so many bootlegs on ebay and amazon, it's hard to convince buyers you have a legit set.
I have an FYE about a mile or so from my house, video stores like that will buy all your unwanted stuff from your Box of Crap. Might not get too much money (as they are going to try to resell it), but hey, it's something.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I could never see the point in my buying one of these mystery boxes. With a collection comprised of nearly 2500 discs, while it's possible, and heck even likely that there are some OAVs out there that I don't own and would enjoy, the odds of said discs winding up in my BOC are extremely slim.
TheSeventhSense

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote
It seems like everyone got the good discs but me! I like Ghost Stories and Lain, and had been meaning to check out Dragon Hunters but nooo, you can't have those, here's random discs of various long-running series and Viewiful Joe (I DON'T KNOW WHY THEY THINK ANYONE WOULD WANT THAT.)

I did better on the manga, though. Got Your & My Secret and Sorcerer Hunters, two series I had been wanting to check out.
Melicans

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I've never done the full box, but I have done the $1 and $5 mystery DVDs from RightStuf. I didn't get anything I wanted (or was even particularly interested in), but they made great gifts to pass on to my anime-loving friend!
OtakuKitten

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I like doing the random box just to see what I got. Last year I got a lot of ADV titles and this year it was all Geneon. The fun lasted about 5 mins but then my little brother came over to visit and started going through the box. He picked up some of the disks and asked if he could borrow them. So all in all I think that it was a plus.

At the very least a mad a new friend on tumblr through my unboxing video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYRLvHRGlGI
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4