• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blood+ (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mydog8u2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:13 pm Reply with quote

Blood+ (TV)

Genres: action, drama, horror, mystery, supernatural
Themes: monsters, vampires

Plot Summary: Throughout the passage of time and the shifts in backgrounds, a particular war continues to leave its mark on history, extending its influence into the modern world. There are two major groups involved in the ensuring war. The first group consists of monsters known as Chiropterans who can change their appearances into that of human beings. They are actually immortals who feed on the blood of the living. The second group is an organisation known as the "Red Shield", formed to track down these monsters and exterminate them. Otonashi Saya is a high-school girl who lives a peaceful life with her family. The only problem is, she has no recollections of her life beyond that of the past year. However, her happy life will be destroyed by an event that will lead her to her destined fate.
----------------------------------

SPOILERS up to episode 48~

For my fellow Blood+ fans who've been following the series religiously, I have a question.

Why is Saya so weak? Sad

I kinda thought that, since she's been away for a year or two, she spent some time training Rocky-style. She just came back with a change of attitude and sexier hairstyle (and sleepier).

What really got me discombobulated is that, she can hardly put up a fight against Diva's chevaliers! How can we expect our precious Saya to fight Diva, who is apparently stronger and faster than all of her chevaliers?

I have a theory (a theory that will prove to be ludicrous as time passes).

Like Haji, who concealed his wings (hence strength), Saya needs to awaken her own hidden power...

Okay I hear boos.

But yeah, an explanation would be much appreciated.

Thanks. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:08 pm Reply with quote
i couldn't agree more

I'm really disappointed. I used to love this show, but in the last arc it's just gotten astoundingly bad. many people are actually starting to suspect there's a different writer, and that they cut the budget.
i mean come on! Hagi's suddenly super powerful, Solomon dies in an alley, and not only is she still weak, but they never even explained where Saya went for a whole year. it just feels like they have just been phoning it in, and it's quite pathetic.

Last edited by v1cious on Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:11 pm; edited 4 times in total
mydog8u2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:54 pm Reply with quote
My sentiments exactly. *Sigh* But in loving memories of the first arc, I (im)patiently wait for Saya's trump card (that's if she has one).

I have another question though. What is up with Diva's (twin?) babies? Are they meant to be the next generation of Saya-Diva twin bundle pack? Their father is Riku, right? Ooooo I thought up another theory.

When the new twins are born (hatched?), they will initially obey their mother, Diva. But Riku's blood will turn them against Diva!!!!

Am I hearing cocroaches? Embarassed

Anyway, I wasn't expecting to start up a Blood+ thread equivalent to the Almighty Melancholy Thread, but it'd be nice if we could open this thread up a bit longer as a general blood+ discussion area.

So keep them theories coming! (otherwise you're gonna have to hear my crappy ones).

Thanks. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Yeah.. I liked the series a lot when they introduced Diva and the whole thing got action-packed with a little drama in-between. But after the one-year passage of Red Shield's destruction, they just made it feel unneedingly melodramatic. All of this constant "Saya, let's go back to Okinawa when this is all over" and "it'll be just like old times" crap is really bogging the series for me and taking away from the pace.

Saya is as weak-spirited as she was in the beginning of the series, and Haji only stands there like a doll with the same ol' "if that is Saya's wish..." line.

I mean, I'm pretty sure he cares a great deal for her, but Chevalier or not, you'd think a little motivation or intervention to stir things up would be more beneficial than just counting down to her next long nap.

Up till the last arc, I had the series rated Excellent for the pretty good art and animation, decent voice acting, and superb soundtrack. But with the change in mood, the crappy 4th OP, and the remaining few episodes they have left for any chance in a good ending, I'll probably lower it to a Decent or Good by then. Such a shame...
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm right there with you all. This series has been the biggest disappointment for me in the last year probably. I like vampire shows, but I love the concept even more. I'd been looking around for a show that just really emphasized the badass, blood drinking, but still human-esque aspects of vampires, but everything I'd ever found had been a huge disappointment. Then I saw the first two episodes of Blood+...

I was in awe, it looked to be exactly what I was hoping for: tons of action, a hot badass shounen heroine that kicks a lot of ass (Revy was great, but she was still supposed to be human. So seeing her be almost completely unharmed after some of those battles kinda left me with that "uh huh, sure" feeling), sucks blood, and saves the world from the monsters. However, with the [b]dozens[b] of times Saya meets with the chevaliers, something should have happened. It was absolutely ridiculous that Saya could meet them all that many times, fight them (usually losing completely), and still come out alive because her opponents spared her for absolutely no reason. Now, if she had managed to run away and hide from them when she was losing, that would of course be one thing; but no. Diva's chevaliers have their mortal enemy in the palm of their hand throughout the show and choose to do absolute jack squat... wtf. I freaking it hate it when stories do that. Meeting once, maybe twice can be ok, but by the fifth time you meet your mortal enemy, you should have decided what was going down. I've come to the conclusion that Blood+ isn't even a shounen at all, it's just a deluded drama. God I get so upset thinking about how much potential was wasted in this show, it really did have an excellent plot and premise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

Up till the last arc, I had the series rated Excellent for the pretty good art and animation, decent voice acting, and superb soundtrack. But with the change in mood, the crappy 4th OP, and the remaining few episodes they have left for any chance in a good ending, I'll probably lower it to a Decent or Good by then. Such a shame...

yeah Im in the same boat I hope there a big 180 in the last remaning episodes that last arc just dragged on.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Just saw ep. 49 yesterday. I didn't think the remaining villains would die so easily...

Amshel gets impaled on the Empire State Building, then struck by lightning and only managed to take out one of Haji's wings? I thought he'd be the strongest Chevalier of them all since he was the first one around Diva and so obsessed with studying her in the first place.

And to tell me that silent, almost good-for-nothing Haji who barley does anything in terms of character or even fighting took him out in 3 minutes?

Then you have Saya and Diva stab each other after a 2 minute fight and only Diva dies because her blood lost its "potency" during childbirth. And the one last Chevalier (the fruity guy, whatever his name was since he barely did anything relevant for me to even remember it) goes and offers himself to be killed by Saya because he didn't do a damn thing to protect his mama in the first place and claims he has no reason to live anymore because she's gone?

Wow, I mean, they just totally killed the series from the storytelling vantage, and you're telling me there're still 3 episodes to go?! They sure as hell better not try to end it with the whole 'Kai lives with Saya, Haji, and the rest of Red Shield in Okinawa' crap.

If they're gonna' butcher the story up as much as they did in the last arc, the one saving grace would be some kind of sad ending at least...
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:23 pm Reply with quote
there's only one more, it's 50 episodes. i can already see where the finale's going, though i am curious what "Option D" is.

i swear that was the worst battle ever. i just can't even ponder what the hell happened to this series. i wonder if IG decided to put all of their everything they had into Le Chevalier D'Eon.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:31 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Just saw ep. 49 yesterday. I didn't think the remaining villains would die so easily...

Amshel gets impaled on the Empire State Building, then struck by lightning and only managed to take out one of Haji's wings? I thought he'd be the strongest Chevalier of them all since he was the first one around Diva and so obsessed with studying her in the first place.

And to tell me that silent, almost good-for-nothing Haji who barley does anything in terms of character or even fighting took him out in 3 minutes?

Then you have Saya and Diva stab each other after a 2 minute fight and only Diva dies because her blood lost its "potency" during childbirth. And the one last Chevalier (the fruity guy, whatever his name was since he barely did anything relevant for me to even remember it) goes and offers himself to be killed by Saya because he didn't do a damn thing to protect his mama in the first place and claims he has no reason to live anymore because she's gone?

If they're gonna' butcher the story up as much as they did in the last arc, the one saving grace would be some kind of sad ending at least...

A few things I want to point out, one I thought that Amshel was impaled on the chrysler building.....but then again I couldn't really tell, till could be the Empire state building

Anyways that not the point the fact that James, Amshel, Defector Chevalier (Name escapes me) all die way to fast with nothing behind them......Very weak if you ask me.

And by the end of the series I didn't care about Haji and his damn "Saya" frankly I was hoping both Amshel and Haji would kill each other.

As for Diva death, I actually didn't mind that sequence after she was stabbed, I thought it was nice to see this other side of someone....really puts nature vs nuture to the test. But the battle between Diva and Saya was terrible after seeing all the other fights in this series I was so bored.......As for the other Chevalier (Flameboyant one) his death would of been a lot better had the story spent any time on him, he was one of the characters that understood Diva and his death could of been real moving had things been done right.

Quote:
Wow, I mean, they just totally killed the series from the storytelling vantage, and you're telling me there're still 3 episodes to go?! They sure as hell better not try to end it with the whole 'Kai lives with Saya, Haji, and the rest of Red Shield in Okinawa' crap.

What the hell? three more episodes? I can see maybe one more for Saya to determine her fate and the children lives but what are they going to do for two more episodes? A fanservice episode where Saya and Kai GF (or whatever) go to the beach? Maybe they go beat up the evil president in sexy bunny costumes.......

What happened to this series? It was slow for me to start, then everyone said get back into because it's really getting good....and no payoff in the end.....weak.
cerulean88

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:12 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Yeah.. I liked the series a lot when they introduced Diva and the whole thing got action-packed with a little drama in-between. But after the one-year passage of Red Shield's destruction, they just made it feel unneedingly melodramatic. All of this constant "Saya, let's go back to Okinawa when this is all over" and "it'll be just like old times" crap is really bogging the series for me and taking away from the pace.

Saya is as weak-spirited as she was in the beginning of the series, and Haji only stands there like a doll with the same ol' "if that is Saya's wish..." line.

I mean, I'm pretty sure he cares a great deal for her, but Chevalier or not, you'd think a little motivation or intervention to stir things up would be more beneficial than just counting down to her next long nap.

I totally agree to that. The 4th OP was really really bad. It gets on my nerves!! Not to mention that the lyrics are so random!! All of the OP’s and ED’s were awesome so far and I was expecting something real good but I was so disappointed by the 4th OP. And Amshel dying like that is totally pathetic; couldn’t they think of something even better?? Even the idea of him getting pawned and ripped to pieces with tons of those corpse corps would be such a better idea *rolls eyes*

Solomon dying like that totally blew me off. I mean like wtf??! His last words to Saya were like 「僕 が 必要な時わ、 何時でも僕の直」are we supposed to be kinda touched and feel that it’s so romantic or something? Well okay, I got to admit that I would totally love it if my bf said something like that that to me but after saying that he just goes off and dies in Amshel’s arms?!

Haji annoys me too, for the last few episodes I was really annoyed at his lack of emotions, well not that he ever shows much in the 1st place but after spending so much time with people who considers them both as friends and family, one would think that he would break the rules for once and voice his own feelings on the whole matter. For example if he does love Saya yeah, like sheesh~ if you do then just tell her and break the rules of “if that’s your wish”, then tell her that Chiroptera’s like her CAN co-exist with the humans since she was raised like a human being, perfectly understanding emotions and all that crap, unlike Diva.

The name of that fruity guy is Nathan btw =) and yeah once again that was another crappy way to end his life, really pathetic. Something tells me that the ending will be something like them beating the so-called “option D” then Haji probably not keeping his promise and Saya goes off to sleep and when she wakes up, she’ll just be back in Okinawa and sees the now old Kai and when he dies she gets depressed and everything just continues on. Happy ending, blaarghh!! I’m sure we were all expecting something really good like a really grand battle with some really neat twists but after having followed the anime and watching it for like 40+ episodes, gawd, the disappointment!! The ending will definitely be a fanservice.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Whoops. I could've sworn they said 52 episodes earlier, but maybe I'm thinking of another series. Well then wow even more, only one episode left now. Definitley one of the worst finales I've seen in anime since it built up so well.

Deltakiral wrote:
A few things I want to point out, one I thought that Amshel was impaled on the chrysler building.....but then again I couldn't really tell, till could be the Empire state building

Well, whatever building it was, I just knew it was tall, had a big needle on it, and was in the middle of New York City. I'm not much on architecture anyway.
cerulean88

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Whoops. I could've sworn they said 52 episodes earlier, but maybe I'm thinking of another series. Well then wow even more, only one episode left now. Definitley one of the worst finales I've seen in anime since it built up so well.

Deltakiral wrote:

Well, whatever building it was, I just knew it was tall, had a big needle on it, and was in the middle of New York City. I'm not much on architecture anyway.

The official website announced that they're airing the last episode, which is 50, today. I cannot begin to imagine what they would have put into 3 episodes you know...if it ends at 52 i mean.

It is the Chrysler building =)
cerulean88

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:48 am Reply with quote
gosh FINALLY!! have any of you watched 50 yet? There's a turn in character development, well sort of. spoiler[Haji finally tells us in words of his feelings and he asks Saya to live on~ i know that it's kinda bad how this all happens after 49 episodes of airing and on the last one too but before that he got a good punch from Kai, who got pissed at him for once again saying the infamous Haji line of if-that-is-what-Saya-wishes. Haji gave Saya a long "lecture", well you'll all know what i'm talking about when you see it, then Saya said that she does want to live, together with Haji and Kai. Haji and Saya kissed Surprised O and if that doesn't make you guys change your mind abt how crap this anime has become, Amshel wasn't dead after all!! Well, Haji and Amshel died in the end with Haji declaring his love for Saya (finally!! But then there's hints at the end, after the credits roll that Haji is not dead.) And apparently, option D is like to destroy everything, the chiroptera's with massive bombings...kinda lame and totally expected. Nathan wasn't dead either. The rest is fanservice.]

I personally think that the ending is not that bad after all.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:14 am Reply with quote
the ending felt empty to me. everything was too clean-cut. i mean spoiler[Nathan and Van Argeno lived, which means that one of Saya's daughters is gonna become like Diva]
i guess they did the best with what they could, but it just didn't work for me. it wasn't completely horrible, but i didn't feel any sense of resolve either. they could've at least added an extra minute, instead of giving us a creditless version of that horrible intro.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:31 pm Reply with quote
cerulean88 wrote:
I personally think that the ending is not that bad after all.

Don't forget that spoiler[Amshel comes back for less then 10 seconds.....and is kill in a way that doesn't bring too much to the story. "You can't kill Amshel" Amshel dies.........then cut ahead to the future will Saya learning about David's kids......next Kai and Saya are having there bonding moment. Oh yea before I go any longer Saya and Haji kiss........lets not forget that magic moment. Haji out of nowhere declares his love for Saya.....where the development on that, where was any sort of idea that Haji had any sort of feeling for Saya like that. Then we skip ahead 5-6 years to where kai is taking the girls to see their aunt and of course Haji has come for his love......cookie cutter doesn't describe it.] It's a let down in my opinion......episode 1-19 and the last 7 episodes really bring this series down.

Last edited by Deltakiral on Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4