• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Spike Lee's Oldboy Opens at #18 with US$1.28 Million

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:20 am Reply with quote
#1 Almost no advertising
#2 Opened in less than 600 theaters, which technically counts as a limited release. For reference, Black Nativity, an undeniably niche film which no expectation of being big at least had some commercials and opened in over 1500 theaters.
hojo 360

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:51 am Reply with quote
Well if this ever had a shot it's not a long one since The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug will take over for the. The Hunger Games soon but i mostly blame the fact on 1 not much advertising the movie theaters seem to be showing it a lot at least by me and i'm in the silicon valley so it ant the showtimes it's the lack of advertising and people knowing wtf it's about Laughing
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:28 am Reply with quote
Oldboy was originally scheduled Oct 11, then pushed back to Oct 25, then finally to Nov 27 Thanksgiving week.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-07-29/spike-lee-oldboy-slated-for-thanksgiving-weekend
hojo 360

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:51 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Oldboy was originally scheduled Oct 11, then pushed back to Oct 25, then finally to Nov 27 Thanksgiving week.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-07-29/spike-lee-oldboy-slated-for-thanksgiving-weekend
Bad move on there part Confused
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
man, what a flop, general America just doesn't like or care about anime/manga at all do they? (though granted this only counts as a manga adaption on a technicality)

of course it's not even playing in my town, that may have something to do with it flopping if it's that limited a release
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:30 pm Reply with quote
This movie's failure has nothing to do with people's interest in anime or manga.

This isn't seen or marketed as an adaptation of a Japanese thing. It exists because of the Korean movie and it is a remake of that. Regardless, that also doesn't matter. It's not marketed as a remake. It's marketed as a new movie. You'd have to be in the know(read wikipedia) to know it's even a remake. All remakes are like that. They don't live or died based on what they are adopted from. If The Departed failed it wouldn't mean people dislike Hong Kong movies. It wouldn't mean anything other then people weren't interested in Departed and maybe Internal Affairs because of it's similar plot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:21 pm Reply with quote
The Departed succeeded, because it had a big-name cast. Brolin is not a big name.
isoge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:06 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
I want this to fail. Is that weird?

Nope. Spike Lee's so called "vision" ruined one hell of a great movie and the only worthy consequence is total box-office failure.

Spike thought that if he could make his movie somewhat more extreme in his version of the most explicit scenes of the original movie, he would have a better movie. What an idiot.

I want this to fail and I want the dvd sales to fail so that he doesn't do this crap again :/
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:19 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
The Departed succeeded, because it had a big-name cast. Brolin is not a big name.
Ok? The reason it succeed has nothing to do with my point. If it failed it wouldn't have been because people dislike Hong Kong movies.

Just like if Oldboy did well it would have nothing to do with people liking anime or manga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
noigeL

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:20 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
I want this to fail. Is that weird?

Without providing an explanation as to why you want it to fail, yes, that statements comes across as weird.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
This movie's failure has nothing to do with people's interest in anime or manga.

This isn't seen or marketed as an adaptation of a Japanese thing. It exists because of the Korean movie and it is a remake of that. Regardless, that also doesn't matter. It's not marketed as a remake. It's marketed as a new movie. You'd have to be in the know(read wikipedia) to know it's even a remake. All remakes are like that. They don't live or died based on what they are adopted from. If The Departed failed it wouldn't mean people dislike Hong Kong movies. It wouldn't mean anything other then people weren't interested in Departed and maybe Internal Affairs because of it's similar plot.

I'm just saying, Speed Racer flopped, Dragon Ball Evolution flopped, Scott Pilgrim flopped, Pacific Rim flopped, any movie that's either based on or evocative of Japanese anime/manga is box office poison in America

now Oldboy may or may not count, like I said you could only really call it a "manga movie" on a technicality, it's more directly based on the Korean movie, but I think it shows that John and Jane America just don't like anything Asian anymore, they'd rather stay at home and watch Duck Dynasty I guess
evilkorpse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:28 am Reply with quote
HOLLYWOOD MOVIE ADAPTATIONS ARE ALWAYS MEANT TO FAIL!!!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:40 am Reply with quote
Again, the comparisons of going back to the Korean adaptation and how few money goers even know of that film's existence, and then the other layer of it all coming from a manga only a few in the know would be privy to, it makes me wonder how known actor Sam Jackson and Kite will end up when the only connection is to a super graphic OVA. I'd love to see interviews asking the cast if they had seen the uncut original, or just only worked off the adapted script alone.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
As someone who hasn't seen the original Oldboy movie or read the manga and who did see the trailer and was aware that it was being released last weekend, I didn't see it because it looked like a "mystery box" movie and I don't much care for "mystery box" movies anymore. If the only compelling reason to see a movie is to find out the cause of an implausible situation presented in the trailer, I'll just go to the Internet and read the spoilers. I don't particularly care about Spike Lee movies (Inside Man was alright) and nothing else about the trailer really grabbed me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ReverseTitan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:03 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
AnimeKing: Speed Racer was awful, too, and nothing like the show. Astro Boy was better, but was from a different generation of anime/manga fans here than in Japan. In Japan, it's got the same legacy as DBZ. Over here, it's more like Rocky and Bullwinkle.

Be aware that Speed Racer The Movie is twice removed Japanese. Speed Racer itself was nothing but a bastardized, watered down version of MachGoGo

@isoge Park's vision ruined a great manga. Making things "edgy"/giving the characters Korean names is not what a great adaptation makes and thanks to that shit, people somehow bash Spike for making an unfaithful version, yet will look the other way when Park does it, which is known as double standards. Come on people, they BOTH suck, especially Park's version of Oldboy, which is Oldboy in name only.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3