• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds DNA2, 1st Lupin III TV Special, Dragon Half, Fatal Fury Specials

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see the Fatal Fury film instead, with a new transfer. DNA Squared was kind of boring and stupid, definitely not any close to Video Girl Ai or Iria:Zeiram.
deathfromabove1993

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:09 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'd like to see the Fatal Fury film instead, with a new transfer. DNA Squared was kind of boring and stupid, definitely not any close to Video Girl Ai or Iria:Zeiram.

They already picked up the film. I would like to see Video Girl Ai and Iria rescued too.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Discotek. Never stop being awesome!
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
If you click on the DNA 2 pic, it says "complete series", so I doubt they left out the OAVs.
partially

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Neat. I always meant to get DNA2, but by the time I eventually got around to it the prices were expensive on ebay just for a used copy. Sure it wasn't a great show, but it was silly fun.
victor viper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, DNA2. That's a show that I never expected to see a rescue. It was always vaguely on my "maybe I should pick this up someday" radar, but I never got around to doing so. Maybe this will finally be the time if the price is right.

It's good to see Dragon Half back in print. One of the funniest shows there is, at least in my opinion.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm super excited for both the Lupin special and DNA2. I agree that DNA2 isn't that great, and is definitely the weakest of Katsura's serial titles (I like it more than some of his one-shots though), but if this release looks better footage wise than the VHS-caliber DVDs that came out before...I'm game.

I'm honestly kind of shocked it got rescued though since, it's kind of a non-entity here. Video Girl Ai is considered a classic (and really needs re-released, HINT HINT VIZ), Zetman is brand new so it gets some notice, and even I"s had a full manga run to get some notice - DNA2 has had none of those things.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Lupin III season 2 when Sad?

Geneon can't still be sitting on those licenses.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Bye Bye Liberty Crisis. The TV special that posited that all computers are super magic and it's possible to steal the entire Statue of Liberty, ala Carmen Sandiego. I think I'll pass. I'd prefer Hemingway Papers or From Russia With Love (no relation to my favorite Bond movie). At least they have an English dub for this special, even if it is horrible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully, we'll start seeing re-releases of the old Lupin films that FUNimation put out. Honestly, I'm rather surprised that those haven't been touched yet.

Now that I think about it, I don't think anything that was originally licensed by FUNimation has ever been license rescued. It helps that they very rarely let things go out of print, but the few titles that they have let go of seem to never get picked up by anyone else. I know that Rosen Maiden and a few other Geneon licenses that they dropped were later picked up, but other than that, shows like Baki the Grappler, Spiral, and the Lupin films just seem to dawdle forever in out-of-print purgatory.

It makes you wonder if FUNimation likes to keep a tight grip on their shows, even after they no longer have the home media rights. I find it especially strange that Sentai didn't immediately jump on the first season of Hell Girl when it went out of print.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Van:
Quote:

Whenever it becomes financially feasible, and whenever they got the time to put in liner notes.

Gyt:
Quote:
I'm honestly kind of shocked it got rescued though since, it's kind of a non-entity here.

DNA2 has a fanbase through the fansubs, and, more importantly, a dub.

penguin:
Quote:
I'd prefer Hemingway Papers or From Russia With Love (no relation to my favorite Bond movie).

If they ever get the latter, they'll have to change the title, and probably emphasize the "no similarities" clause, because it makes fun of Dubya's dad.

Spaceman:
Quote:
Hopefully, we'll start seeing re-releases of the old Lupin films that FUNimation put out. Honestly, I'm rather surprised that those haven't been touched yet.

Those could still be stuck with FUNi. Of course, you're ignoring the elephant in the room: Cagliostro. I'm surprised Sentai hasn't picked that one up.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:43 pm Reply with quote
VanGosroth wrote:

I think they're waiting for the right moment to commit to releasing that monstrosity. They've said that long-running series are a challenge.

I'm thinking there's a small chance FUNi could re-release what they put out. It's true that nothing formerly licensed by them has seen a rescue, except for the Geneon stuff (where they only distributed) and Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles (which was also more of a distribution thing). Their Lupin III stuff has gone OOP, and so has Spiral, Baki the Grappler (as mentioned) as well as Kodocha and a couple ADV saves like Nerima Daikon Brothers.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:13 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
VanGosroth wrote:

I think they're waiting for the right moment to commit to releasing that monstrosity. They've said that long-running series are a challenge.

In this case, there's also copyright issues they would have to deal with.

If they don't get that series then there's always Part III with some more unreleased specials.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I hope Discotek will eventually license rescue Ronin Warriors, that series is long overdue.
hack_benjamin22

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:
I hope Discotek will eventually license rescue Ronin Warriors, that series is long overdue.

I would be all over that. Ah, nostalgia.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4