• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Christmas Anime To Ring In The Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Any list with Shirokuma Cafe is a good list to me.

Anyways I remember Azumanga Daioh and Honey & Clover having pretty good Christmas episodes as well.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe ANN would think to put Chocotto Sister on this list! Most impressive!

Sailor Moon S has long been part of my Christmas tradition!

I'll agree that either the Love Hina or Ai Yori Aoshi Christmas specials should get the nod over Itsudatte Mai Santa, it was really a bit painful to watch.

Now I'm torn over whether I want to watch White Album....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:

White Album 2 is disappointingly boring. It has none of the crazy drama as the previous series.

...but it was terrible.

It wasn't romantic, it wasn't even enjoyably crazy it was just...bad.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Great to see Itsudatte My Santa on the list. Become a tradition of mine to watch it every Christmas, just really good festive fun.

Can do nothing but wholeheartedly agree with Tokyo Godfathers being number one on the list.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
octopodpie wrote:

White Album 2 is disappointingly boring. It has none of the crazy drama as the previous series.

...but it was terrible.

It wasn't romantic, it wasn't even enjoyably crazy it was just...bad.

It was a trainwreck I enjoyed because, at least during the process of it, I was rooting that spoiler[the protagonist ends up alone in the snow forever and ever] but yeah, the ending was too convenient. I liked the triangle of spoiler[Yuki, Rina, and the manager] but once the other girls were added in it got to be too much. Thus its low spot. But I still liked it.

EDIT: I'd put it in the same spot as some of those awful CW dramas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:34 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
Sailor Moon S has long been part of my Christmas tradition!

Nothing says the holidays like spoiler[Tuxedo Mask's big entrance in a Santa outfit!] Smile

I, OTOH, braced myself opening the article, as I knew
A) oh, sure, they're going to pick Azumanga Daioh: "End of 2nd Semester & Christmas", just for the karaoke scene and Osaka's ruminations on Rudolph,
and
B) yep, another fan who's going to pick Urusei Yatsura: "Doki-Doki Christmas" from the (ick!) first season, over the sillier "Mendo Family Summer-Christmas" from the more characteristically style-gonzo later years, just because it's more "iconic".
Er...none of them to replace Itsudatte My Santa?? Confused

I can appreciate that no one would remember Maison Ikkoku Ep. 2 ("Love is in the Air! Which One Does Kyoko Love Best?"), but it's always a tradition in my Christmas-anime pile.
And while Ranma 1/2 "Tendo Family Christmas Scramble" is one of THE unquestioned great Christmas episodes, I always like to throw in Ep. 75, "Step Outside" for a little extra.

If it was a Top Ten list, I might even be bold enough to give Sword Art Online: "The Red-Nosed Reindeer" some due recognition.
(No matter how cliche' you might think the first-half series may be, the girl's little spoiler[posthumous humming of Rudolph] always hits you from behind. Crying or Very sad )
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Let's not forget the Hamtaro Christmas episodes 25 and 77.

Last edited by trunkschan90 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:30 pm; edited 4 times in total
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
While not technically Christmas, the Kanon anime had a holiday-atmosphere. Or maybe it was all the snow. Razz

The final arc of Digimon Adventure 02 took place during the Christmas season.
victor viper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, Itsudatte My Santa isn't that bad. It's just mindless fanservice fluff. Although, there is certainly stronger Christmas-themed material out there.

Evergreen Holy Night/For the Love of Goddess
from the Oh My Goddess OVA is probably my personal favorite Christmas anime. Plus, OMG is now getting old enough that you could call it a bona fide classic.

I'd also list episodes 35 and 61 respectively of Card Captor Sakura, Sakura's Wonderful Christmas and Sakura, the Card, and the Presents. As with everything else CCS, they are warm and genuine Christmas stories.

Other regular entries in my Christmas anime rotation are Gunslinger Girl episode 4 (Bambola), Strawberry Marshmallow episode 12 (Present), episode 7 of K-On (Christmas!), and the final episode of the first season of Comic Party.

And, honestly, how can there not be at least a mention of the first episode of Hayate the Combat Butler?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Though it can't be on the list, I think my favorite Christmas vignette (next to the whole of Tokyo Godfathers) is now the Christmas/New Year's arc of the Saint Young Men movie. Buddha's efforts to spoiler[surprise Jesus with a birthday celebration] in the midst of the Christmas season is both hilarious and touching.

I really missed this column during its brief hiatus! Smile
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:49 pm Reply with quote
My favourite anime Christmas episode is indeed Urusei Yatsura episode 10, "Pitter Patter Christmas Eve", for the first legitimately touching moment between Ataru and Lum, but Christmas is just happening in the background, really.

The most thematically-interesting anime Christmas episode I've ever seen is Kamichu! episode 13, "We Do What We Like", that looks at Christmas as an alien concept to Shinto Japan, with two "miko" sisters, the older one very resentful towards Christmas while the younger one perfectly happy to have fun at Christmas without seeing any religious conflict.

The other Christmas episodes I'm sure to watch every year are Strawberry Marshmallow episode 12, K-On! episode 7, and Minami-ke episode 12, and I have many other Christmas episodes that I get around to watching if I have time and don't procrastinate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:59 pm Reply with quote
If your talking Christmas episodes, you can't beat that one from Majokko Tsukune-chan, where Tsukune accidentally kills Santa and that has to save Christmas herself with a giant Santa Mecha. My memory's not what it once was, but I believe the entire earth was destroyed.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait to continue my family's new(ish) holiday tradition of watching Tokyo Godfathers again!

Genma Saotome? Super-powered dad? More like super-COWARD dad!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I think that instead I'll be watching Gundam 0080, Big O episode 10 ("Daemonseed"), The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, Episode 12 of Excel Saga ("Big City Part II"), and that episode of Lupin III where he accidently steals the dollies for kids.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quote
The Love Hina Christmas Movie would be my pick. And yes Media Blasters or whomever, please license Chocotto Sisters. I've been wanting that series for years!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6