• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Christmas Anime To Ring In The Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:12 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Orange Hollow wrote:
Quote:
Even a mostly nonsecular country like Japan

Doesn't "nonsecular" mean religious? Japan is most certainly not that Smile

The country has religious history and customs, but most of its population doesn't identify as religious.

Thats 'secular' not "non-secular'
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:28 pm Reply with quote
The Heartcatch Precure Christmas episode comes to mind

Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:32 pm Reply with quote
What? No Oh My Goddess OVA? How could anyone forget that? Laughing
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Orange Hollow wrote:
Quote:

Religion is a very important part of Japanese society.
When somebody builds a house or starts a new business it is common for them to get a priest to give a blessing.
Things like that are standard in Japan.
Both Shintoism and Buddhism are very important to them.

Notice all of the shrines that you see in anime.Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Scalfin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Even a mostly nonsecular country like Japan can't escape Christmas holiday cheer.

I'm sorry, is this a typo or does the author have a slightly off idea about how many non-Christians celebrate the holiday?
tehyar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:32 am Reply with quote
Scalfin wrote:
Quote:
Even a mostly nonsecular country like Japan can't escape Christmas holiday cheer.

I'm sorry, is this a typo or does the author have a slightly off idea about how many non-Christians celebrate the holiday?

Well, Christians borrowed the holiday from the pagans, so they won't mind if everyone else borrows it too. Smile
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:48 am Reply with quote
Another really good Christmas episode is the episode of The Irresponsible Captain Tylor OVA titled White Christmas. Tylor is on his way to a Christmas date but gets sidetracked by a young boy who appears to be all alone. Tylor decides to spend some time with the boy and together they have an impromptu sidewalk Christmas party.
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:05 am Reply with quote
There was Big O Ep with Christmas theme ep
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:09 am Reply with quote
@ trilaan:
I was afraid someone would bring that up. I find it hard to express in words the depth of my loathing for that episode. It mashes all my buttons about being stood up without a word. Sure Tylor's a flake, but I would have been out of there after an hour, tops, and never spoken to the man again, except as work demanded. It makes my blood boil just thinking about it.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:56 am Reply with quote
tehyar wrote:
Scalfin wrote:
Quote:

Well, Christians borrowed the holiday from the pagans, so they won't mind if everyone else borrows it too. Smile
It wasn't borrow as more assimilated and non-christians have been forced to celebrate it by embarassment and worry for looking like scrooches for not buying gifts to give by shops and department stores who have brainwashed society that that is what they would appear to everyone if they did not participate. Wink
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:57 am Reply with quote
Kobato Episode 19 is my holiday favorite. Very beautiful episode that could easily stand alone, with Kobato wondering what to get the ever grumpy Fujimoto for Christmas. The background artwork alone is enough to get me to watch it - there's a really nice sequence featuring ornaments and Christmas trees. I own several backgrounds from this sequence, and it's interesting to note that the animators made backgrounds from pre-existing photos they found on blogs around the web. One of the backgrounds even came with a print out of the site that they took it from.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:59 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Orange Hollow wrote:
Quote:

Religion is a very important part of Japanese society.
When somebody builds a house or starts a new business it is common for them to get a priest to give a blessing.
Things like that are standard in Japan.
Both Shintoism and Buddhism are very important to them.

Notice all of the shrines that you see in anime.Wink

I've operated under the assumption (and correct me if I'm wrong) that Japanese people tend only to pay lip service to Shintoism, as more of a cultural quirk, rather than a truly religious standard. It's more out of tradition than faith.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
tehyar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:04 am Reply with quote
The final episode of Kashimashi is a pretty fun xmas show as well.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:39 am Reply with quote
I'm a little surprised there wasn't a mention of the currently-running Kickstarter for Santa Company, if only in the article's introduction. I mean, it's an entire OVA entirely about Christmas, rather than a special or episode, and it's topical and all.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:35 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
I'm a little surprised there wasn't a mention of the currently-running Kickstarter for Santa Company, if only in the article's introduction. I mean, it's an entire OVA entirely about Christmas, rather than a special or episode, and it's topical and all.

Wow, and I was just about to mention this one Anime hyper

Seriously, if anyone watches the short video on that Kickstarter page and doesn't think that the idea and art is awesome, they must be the Grinch Very Happy

Check out the official website and all the awesome pictures too - there's even one with the director of the OVA and the Prime Minister of Finland!

http://www.santa-company.net/en/#!/page_news
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6