• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nana Mizuki, Hiroshi Kamiya Return for Hunger Games: Catching Fire Dub

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LavenderMintRose

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:02 am Reply with quote
I like how Thunder is the credit listed for Yuichi Nakamura. He's played more main characters but no... Thunder. Nice <3

... I wish they'd dubbed some songs for Glee in Japanese, by the way. Nana Mizuki and Maaya Sakamoto... Oh well, they each sing theme songs for certain recent robot anime that I like, so that's nice.

Always fun to hear about Japanese dub casts of things.
jkphantom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:57 am Reply with quote
Hinata and Levi.... never thought of that pairing before....
Dimlos

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:33 am Reply with quote
For the life of me, I'll never understand why anyone would watch live action stuff that's been dubbed over.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Dimlos wrote:
For the life of me, I'll never understand why anyone would watch live action stuff that's been dubbed over.

Agreed. With animation, it doesn't matter as much since the lips move regardless. But when actual people are talking, hearing a different voice takes you out of the experience.
senbonzakura

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote
MetalUpa1014 wrote:
Dimlos wrote:

Agreed. With animation, it doesn't matter as much since the lips move regardless. But when actual people are talking, hearing a different voice takes you out of the experience.

Well, Kanji can be very difficult to read even for a native so imagine how the Japanese would have a hard time when reading the subs.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, Kanji can be very difficult to read even for a native so imagine how the Japanese would have a hard time when reading the subs.

You serious? Somehow, I doubt that. I'm pretty sure a native person would have an above proficient mastery of their own written language assuming that they're literate. Unless it's some complicated film involving quantum physics or something, I doubt it'd be that difficult for a native Japanese person to understand an English film with kanji subtitles. And if that's too complicated, that's why there's hiragana and katakana.
senbonzakura

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:20 pm Reply with quote
MetalUpa1014 wrote:
Quote:

You serious? Somehow, I doubt that. I'm pretty sure a native person would have an above proficient mastery of their own written language assuming that they're literate. Unless it's some complicated film involving quantum physics or something, I doubt it'd be that difficult for a native Japanese person to understand an English film with kanji subtitles. And if that's too complicated, that's why there's hiragana and katakana.

I am serious. :p You will be surprised how a lot of natives are not proficient. There are kanjis that have multiple meanings and multiple readings. That's why they have furigana on top of the kanji so they'd know how to read it. It might be too small if you read it on screen. If they use a specific kanji and this kanji has multiple meanings/readings the film might be lost in translation.

We are fine with English subs because it is easy to read. Japanese is complicated and it might take the fun out of the movie if you scramble reading it.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Peter @ J-List writes about this on his blog fairly often. People don't have difficulty reading kanji, but due to computers and cellphones and such cutting down on handwriting, they have difficulty writing it.

(Which I can understand... other than my own name and the longhand numbers written on checks, I haven't written anything in cursive since high school 20+ years ago. I'd be able to read it on sight, but I'd have to really think to write a capital Q from memory. And I only have to remember 52 characters, not hundreds.)

The issue with subtitling movies is that kanji is taught piece-by-piece through all levels of school, so a grade-school-age kid who might want to watch Hunger Games probably wouldn't be able to read all the subs. (Yes, furigana on the tougher characters, but I don't know if they'd decode that at "speaking" speed.)
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:05 am Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
The issue with subtitling movies is that kanji is taught piece-by-piece through all levels of school, so a grade-school-age kid who might want to watch Hunger Games probably wouldn't be able to read all the subs. (Yes, furigana on the tougher characters, but I don't know if they'd decode that at "speaking" speed.)

There's also another issue with putting furigana characters next to the kanji--they are often printed very small and can be difficult to read, especially subtitling in Japanese for a movie not spoken in Japanese. As such, that could make it difficult for some readers to comprehend, especially the younger audience intended for Hunger Games: Catching Fire that may not know the full kanji set of 2,136 characters a high school graduate has to know.

Interestingly, Peter Payne at J-List has said that for many Western movies shown in Japan, they're shown in Japan mostly subtitled. I believe the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy was shown this way in Japan. Western movies intended for younger audiences like the Disney or Pixar animated movies are likely dubbed in Japanese to avoid the kanji readability issue, I believe.
ReverseTitan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:25 am Reply with quote
@Sacto0562 That misconception is not quite true. They're shown with both a subbed and dubbed versions, most films and more often than not, it's the dubbed version with the higher admissions, unless it's something like Avengers with name actors, since Robert Downey Jr is well known over there. Even films not intended for kids like Pacific Rim, Man of Steel were delayed to be dubbed. I believe South Park Bigger, Longer and Uncut, which is for adults was shown dubbed on its release as well.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:16 am Reply with quote
Simple - mainstream prefer dub. And the pay is good.

Primrose Everdeen is so tsundere. (Kugimiya is misspelled BTW.)
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
If it is marketable for younger kids it will usually be dubbed.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see the dubbing cast from the first movie return and reprise their role, not that the Japanese dub will be put for the NA release, but kinda cool to see some of our seiyus that do anime and video game role do dub for movie too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Some people in Japan are complaining they're getting the movie late again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1