• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix to Stream Knights of Sidonia Anime in Summer 2014

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, Netflix is getting into the close to simulcast streaming game?

I suppose this could get a lot of eyeballs considering Netflix's huge subscriber base. At least the UK will likely get in on too.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote
This pleases me. But I don't think it'll be a simulcast, they tend to put out the entire season at once, even with their in-house shows. The article suggests the same:
article wrote:
The company noted that it will stream the complete 12-episode "firstly and exclusively" on Netflix, and it will include both the Japanese audio with English subtitles and in "dubbed local language dialogue."

I'm more interested in how they do the dub. Contract with one of the existing dub producing anime licencors? Hire a couple big name Hollywood actors and fill in extras with the L.A. talent? Something terrible that I haven't thought of?
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
I'm more interested in how they do the dub. Contract with one of the existing dub producing anime licencors? Hire a couple big name Hollywood actors and fill in extras with the L.A. talent? Something terrible that I haven't thought of?

I wonder how literal they will be about "dubbed local language dialogue." In how many countries is Netflix available?
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
At first I thought they'd be simul-dubbing the show, but the comments suggest that they may wait until all the eps are released before putting it up. And the "firstly and exclusively" suggests that Crunchy or Hulu won't even be able to simulcast the show.
It sounds like a net loss for fans of the manga who've been waiting for the anime for months already. I wonder what Vertical thinks about this?
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
DerekTheRed wrote:

I wonder how literal they will be about "dubbed local language dialogue." In how many countries is Netflix available?

Wikipedia wrote:
Netflix, Inc. is an American provider of on-demand Internet streaming media available to North and South America, the Caribbean, United Kingdom, Ireland, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, the Netherlands,

That could mean dubs in:

English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Finish, Dutch and German. But I would expect only English, Spanish and possibly German. That would cover most people in those areas.

Last edited by DerekTheRed on Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rederoin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:

That could mean dubs in:

English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Finish, Dutch and German.

The Dutch don't dub shows intended for teens/adults, so they can be written off that list.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:01 pm Reply with quote
This seems like it could be interesting. If anything, it sounds like it will be a good turnaround for dub fans. Here's hoping the dub is actually good.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I might actually have to turn my streaming back on to watch this.
GerardoE303

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:09 pm Reply with quote
yeah, it's not a simulcast. The anime premiers in spring and they will stream it in summer. I hope someone will still simulcasts it sill, even though i don't think anyone will,since Netfilx will exclusively stream it.
Takuku

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Netflix UK's Twitter states '...to hit Netflix immediately after Japanese TV'.

I don't see Netflix going down the simulcast route so I guess it means once it's finished airing in Japan. Nice to see some kind of effort being made with anime for NUK for a change.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
This pleases me. But I don't think it'll be a simulcast, they tend to put out the entire season at once, even with their in-house shows. The article suggests the same:
article wrote:
The company noted that it will stream the complete 12-episode "firstly and exclusively" on Netflix, and it will include both the Japanese audio with English subtitles and in "dubbed local language dialogue."

Yeah, I'm very curious how they do this and about how they are going to do the dub.

Been looking forward to this show.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote
It can't be exclusive if it streams anywhere else, so I take it either CR cannot stream it, or this is just some typical marketing bullshit lie. Guess that means fansubs for three months?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Guess that means fansubs for three months?

Heaven forbid anyone wait for anything in this day and age, eh?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Guess that means fansubs for three months?

Heaven forbid anyone wait for anything in this day and age, eh?

Yes, that's right. You're not talking a day or two behind like some streams can be behind on these days, you're looking an entire season later. Patience is one thing if it's only a week, this is not equivalent to that. One of the understood but unstated goals of simulcasts was to make fansubs irrelevant, this is not accomplishing that task.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
This will be for the dub fans. While I'm not particularly interested in this series, it's nice to see Netflix is getting more into anime. I don't mind the wait but I hope the dubs will be good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2