• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[Q] S.A.V.E. Editions (What is missing?)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
80sfanboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:09 am Reply with quote
Hello, after searching the net for information on these S.A.V.E. releases I have found discussion on the DVDs but not the Blu-ray editions.

1. Besides the packaging are the discs identical, or do they contain the exact same A/V and special features?
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:20 am Reply with quote
as long as it was released by funimation prior, its the same thing

just a re-release or greatest hits packaging

if it was previously released by sentai films or the license changed hands, the dub will be different
80sfanboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:25 am Reply with quote
Excellent, thank you
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:58 am Reply with quote
The dub isn't different, the extras are. Shows that were license rescued (not originally licensed by Funimation) don't have the same extras.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
80sfanboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:02 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the information. If only they didn't make it so obvious it was the cheaper edition! It is not really necessary to cover 1/3 of the cover in bright green text, surely just a removable sticker could have got the job done!
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:08 am Reply with quote
All SAVE editions outside, like, the first dozen or so put out have reversible covers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
80sfanboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:20 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
All SAVE editions outside, like, the first dozen or so put out have reversible covers.

Did they stop doing that or you can only confirm on what you have seen?
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:03 am Reply with quote
80sfanboy wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

Did they stop doing that or you can only confirm on what you have seen?

WTK has been keeping a spreadsheet with information on the S.A.V.E. releases.
From May of 2011 to June of 2013, the last month that he has information for, every one had a reversible cover.
Almost all of them before that also had reversible covers, except for the first few months when they used removable stickers instead.

I have not recently seen any mention of a S.A.V.E. release without a reversible cover. Every one that I own has it.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I have about two dozen save edition dvds/blu rays and the only two without reversible covers are Big Windup and Suzuka.

Technically, those two DO have art on the inside, so you CAN reverse the covers. But they would NOT have spine label and front cover title text like all the other reversed covers of the save edition titles that I have.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Some of the earlier FUNimation shows that were previously put out in singles - such as Speed Grapher and Solty Rei - are missing some of their extras.

But for all of the ones that were originally put out in half-season sets, those are the exact same discs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1