• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Thing About My Dokes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I think the excessive merchandising seems like the logical next step of corporations pitching to fans who for the last several years have stopped buying discs and been proclaiming the merits of the merchandise purchases as industry support. I'm not saying that is an incorrect notion, but for the companies, if they can't sell you discs, then they're gonna see what they CAN sell you.
Yamato-san

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:31 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Personally, I think the excessive merchandising seems like the logical next step of corporations pitching to fans who for the last several years have stopped buying discs and been proclaiming the merits of the merchandise purchases as industry support. I'm not saying that is an incorrect notion, but for the companies, if they can't sell you discs, then they're gonna see what they CAN sell you.

I don't think this would be quite as much of a problem if companies weren't selling discs at such rip-off prices (in Japan at least, though Aniplex USA certainly seems to be imitating that model).... though, I heard someone on Sankaku Complex mention that Japan actually did experiment with selling them cheaper at one point but never got a higher consumer turn-out from it (that person never gave a source nor any further details on this, so I can't be too sure that was actually the case). At any rate, I'm probably not one to talk on the subject: in the midst of Madoka's localization, I went and imported the Japanese limited edition BDs myself... partially because I wanted the soundtracks that came with them (dat Kajiura), but I was also interested in owning a Japanese set, prices be damned, at least once (and I figured this series, being my recent favorite, was the perfect choice for that).

Last edited by Yamato-san on Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Yamato-san wrote:

I don't think this would be quite as much of a problem if companies weren't selling discs at such rip-off prices (in Japan at least, though Aniplex USA certainly seems to be imitating that model).... though, I heard someone on Sankaku Complex mention that Japan actually did experiment with selling them cheaper at one point but never got a higher consumer turn-out from it (that person never gave a source nor any further details on this, so I can't be too sure that was actually the case). At any rate, I'm probably not one to talk on the subject: in the midst of Madoka's localization, I went and imported the Japanese limited edition BDs.

As a tip, Sankaku Complex is a very bad place to go for actual information.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
People who refer to Madoka Magica as "Dokes" have small and insignificant genitalia.

That is all.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I personally don't see a problem with merchandising as long as the original work remains good.

Now, if they try to drag Madoka out endlessly, that's a problem, but why would they? EVA is still crazy strong and only had one movie and a series of recap movies. They could make only, say, another movie/season of Madoka and I guarantee that 15 years later they'd still be making merch.

I don't see Madoka becoming a franchise zombie or anything similar.

you mention eva, but whenever magica quartet talks about the franchise they mention gundam, so if anything expect madoka to turn into gundam, not eva. which is why I liked the ending of this movie, that turned madoka into amuro, homura into char and sayaka into camille.
nechronius

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:25 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
People who refer to Madoka Magica as "Dokes" have small and insignificant genitalia.

That is all.

Hmmm depending on who you talk to I thought it was more due to my excessively large phone, excessively powerful car, excessive collection of firearms or any number of other excesses. But I'll take your statement under advisement.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Dokes didn't really jell with me the same way it did so many others. I recently rewatched it over the summer and it still didn't really do it for me. I really dug it at first, but about half way through I just got kinda... Eh about it. I feel like they don't give me anything to invest in the characters, there are some semi-asspulls, and I just really didn't care for the original ending (it's a love it or hate it thing I guess). I bought into the hype and bought the limited editions of the tv series, but I definitely regret it. Like you said, Aniplex's pricing is ridiculously high (but like you said, they know the supply and demand marks, so they make just enough to make their pricing work), and to have spent that much on a series that I didn't even particularly dig really hurts. I do have the compilation/remake movies though, so maybe that'll fix what I felt about the series. I wonder if I can find someway to resell them...

I do want to see what went down in Rebellion Story. I mean if it pissed off that many people, it must be a fun watch.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

That is all.

I'm a bloke that says "Dokes" and I poke with a spoke.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm someone who has never seen Madoka Magica.

I'm sure it's a fine show that perhaps is as great as everyone says it is, but the hype reminds me exactly of the hype for Neon Genesis Evangelion, which I tried watching some years after the hype began but it just didn't do anything for me because I couldn't separate the show from the hype and appreciate Evangelion on its own merits, and I fully recognize that's my own failing and not a problem with the show but the experience of an anime failing, in my eyes, to live up to the hype left a bad taste in my mouth and put me off watching any series that gets all that much hype.

The other thing that puts me off ever trying Madoka Magica (besides the price of the show) is that I am a spoiler-reader but, even if I wasn't, it's pretty hard to avoid certain major spoilers for this series especially if you spend any time looking at anime image boards so I know about many of the deaths in the show and to be frank, what I've seen in image memes about certain deaths comes across as rather brutal and sadistic and that's just not the kind of show I'm interested in watching.

I mean, I'm not going to dispute the acclaim a show I haven't watched receives, but, as for me, I'd rather just stick to happy anime about girls eating cake and drinking tea.

EDIT: I took out the "and am not making any plans to either", which in retrospect comes across as a bit flippant. To be more precise as to why I'd bother replying to the article in the first place, Madoka Magica is a show I'd considered watching because I have liked magical girl shows in the past but I can't get past the hype, which I admit is my own failing. If the article was about a hyped show like Attack on Titan that doesn't have much of any elements I'm interested in, I wouldn't have replied at all.

Last edited by Tenchi on Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Adam Wednesdays

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been able to see Rebellion yet (there aren't any screenings near me), but what I've heard doesn't have me looking forward to it. I'm definitely on the side that wants there to be less Madoka to begin with- the TV series is brilliant, but a lot of its greatness and power comes from being entirely self-contained and completed by the end of the last episode. No matter its quality, "Rebellion" was always going to be an unnecessary coda at best.

Every review and description I've read of Rebellion makes it sound like an incredibly awkward affair. And if I'm being honest, the opening act of mundane magical girl stuff sounds like something I'm going to find absolutely painful. Not because I dislike magical girls, but because the thought of 45+ minutes of screwing around in the name of stylistic irony as directed by Akiyuki Shinbo sounds utterly painful. Most of SHAFT's work irritates me to no end, and I can't imagine the first act of Dokes:Rebellion is going to be an exception to that.

Besides, we all know that no one can out-henshin Kunihiko Ikuhara. Why even try? Razz

Last edited by Adam Wednesdays on Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm someone who has never seen Madoka Magica and am not making any plans to either.

Does anyone else not see the problem with such a sentiment within the context of this conversation?

Quote:
45+ minutes of screwing around in the name of stylistic irony as directed by Akiyuki Shinbo sounds utterly painful

At least this poster knows WHY he refuses to watch Shaft works.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I'm someone who has never seen Madoka Magica and am not making any plans to either.

But I'm sure you will then avoid giving us your opinion on it any-

oh.

Quote:
I'm sure it's a fine show that perhaps is as great as everyone says it is, but the hype reminds me exactly of the hype for Neon Genesis Evangelion, which I tried watching some years after the hype began but it just didn't do anything for me because I couldn't separate the show from the hype and appreciate Evangelion on its own merits, and I fully recognize that's my own failing and not a problem with the show but the experience of an anime failing, in my eyes, to live up to the hype left a bad taste in my mouth and put me off watching any series that gets all that much hype.

Short version: "I am incapable of forming my own opinion about things and instead base my opinion on things other people have told me"

Quote:
The other thing that puts me off ever trying Madoka Magica (besides the price of the show) is that I am a spoiler-reader but, even if I wasn't, it's pretty hard to avoid certain major spoilers for this series especially if you spend any time looking at anime image boards so I know about many of the deaths in the show and to be frank, what I've seen in image memes about certain deaths comes across as rather brutal and sadistic and that's just not the kind of show I'm interested in watching.

Spoiler: spoiler[Everyone dies. And everyone lives. And then some of them die. Then some of them live again.]

There is exactly one 'brutal' death, and its not exactly sadistic in how it was done (albeit emotionally...). On the other hand, you haven't even watched the show so again, why are you commenting?

Quote:
I mean, I'm not going to dispute the acclaim a show I haven't watched receives, but, as for me, I'd rather just stick to happy anime about girls eating cake and drinking tea.

Then don't talk about shows you haven't watched!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:39 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Quote:

Does anyone else not see the problem with such a sentiment within the context of this conversation?

If my post had been just that one sentence, it would be problematic, but I explained myself and people are free to agree or disagree with my reasoning as they like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

If my post had been just that one sentence, it would be problematic, but I explained myself and people are free to agree or disagree with my reasoning as they like.

No, it actually got worse!

You post doesn't contain any "reasoning", it contains complaints about a completely unrelated series (seriously, not liking a show because it doesn't live up to the 'hype' is YOUR problem, not the show's) and then a demonstration that you have absolutely no idea what the show is actually about.

What is so hard about not opining on the content of stuff you haven't watched any of?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

What is so hard about not opining on the content of stuff you haven't watched any of?

While I'm sure it happens a lot, it really seems to be kind of a plague with this series in particular and that movie especially.

Do not go to the book club meeting if you haven't read the book.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4