• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Thing About My Dokes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:29 am Reply with quote
I saw the same showing Mike did, although I seemed to have a better experience with it than he did, other than some jackass sitting next to me who was constantly texting, then running down to the lobby, then talking in a loud voice until I finally had enough and told him to shut up. It does help when you're a somewhat intimidating looking person to begin with, so after that he behaved better. I went to the Friday and Saturday showings, meeting up with someone from here at the Friday showing, and it was a great time. I was up in the balcony on Friday, so I didn't notice any sort of outrage about the ending, but on Saturday I was down in the main floor and I certainly noticed it then. I don't share that outrage and I felt the movie was very well done, but I suppose I can see where people would be expecting something and they didn't get it. I went in without any expectations, so as long as the ending stayed within reason, which it did, then there was nothing for me to rage about. I'm also glad I went to the Saturday showing, because on Friday I had been drinking beer all day, plus a couple at the theater, not to mention I didn't use the bathroom before the movie started, and by the time the ending started to roll, my eyeballs were floating. So, I missed the very end, post credits bit. Saturday I made sure to go before the movie and thus was able to sit through it comfortably. Well, as comfortably as one can in the Brattle.

Anyways, I say bring on more Madoka. I'm fine with another movie or even TV series.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:20 am Reply with quote
I also went to a theater with a very strict no talking policy, but afterwards there were definitely complaints, though I missed most of the details beyond what could be summed up "money grab" and "Urobuchi wasn't involved" from exactly two conversations. Like Sailor S, I had to make a pitstop once the credits rolled, so I missed most of the talk, but I made it back in time for the last scene(I just had a feeling there'd be one - and wanted a doggie bag for my food, anyway).

I did run into a Kyouko cosplayer on the way in(though it took a moment to register - she was dressed in her street clothes) and see a guy in a Homura getup from the waist up.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:40 am Reply with quote
All the merchandising doesn't bother me. I think its to be expected of any successful entertainment franchise and like others before it fans will eventually get burned out on it and it will die down. Aniplex prices on the other hand do bother me and I try to limit my purchases of their titles mostly out of protest.

Do I want more Madoka?
Not really. If I wanted more I would just re-watch the show. Sequels can sometimes be tough and I'm not sure if my level of satisfaction for a new iteration would equal my previous feeling for the show.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:57 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Short version: "I am incapable of forming my own opinion about things and instead base my opinion on things other people have told me"

Yeah, because it's not like anyone else has this problem:
Quote:
The debate's already raging in Hope's review, but I haven't read it, because I don't want her prose seeping into my own brain; I'm terrified of accidentally stealing other people's remarks like that.

But hey, go ahead and pretend the world revolves around you. I don't mind. The more you make yourself look like an ass, the better the rest of us laugh.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:24 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

But hey, go ahead and pretend the world revolves around you. I don't mind. The more you make yourself look like an ass, the better the rest of us laugh.

Except thats not the same thing at all?

I know you just wanted to get a cheap-shot in at me personally, but please try to use examples that make sense.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The tumultuous events and big sacrifices at the end of the TV series seem weirdly moot, and the plot starts heading into the kind of storytelling territory that reminds me of junky, shabby, superfluous sequels like Blues Brothers 2000, Eddie and the Cruisers II, Highlander 2, and those Star Wars prequels.
I've seen those movies and enjoyed Rebellion a lot more and consider it to be a very important part of the franchise. In fact, I honestly have no idea what you're getting at. It's like you weren't even watching the same movie as me.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:52 am Reply with quote
Honestly I would like the over merchandising to stop the last two spin off Manga weren't that good to me, and all of this risks "diluting the brand." That being said I'd be happy with an Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Different Story OVA at least
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:57 am Reply with quote
notrogersmith wrote:
Is it me, or are the reviewers of the third Madoka movie conveying that it's more or less the Madoka series' equivalent to Full Metal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shamballa?

I don't think that's a completely off-base comment, but I think overall the Madoka movie is much more solid. And more messy, at the same time. Like, Shamballa was fun and kind of wacky and unnecessary (but I still like it), but Madoka was waaaay more risky and interesting to look at, IMO. Like...the most notable thing about Shamballa was all the crazy nazi references and stuff, but ultimately it was just kind of forgettable in a weird way. Rebellion is anything but forgettable.

Adam Wednesdays wrote:
Something I was curious about- Mike mentioned that at least some of the audience seemed irritated and confused by the movie when he went to go see it. For other people who went to go see it, how did the audience react to Rebellion?

I went to the Alamo Drafthouse showing in Littleton, CO. Alamo famously has a no-talking policy, so there wasn't a huge amount of reaction during the movie itself (I think there were a few laughs at appropriate times, but that's about all I can think of). But once the credits started rolling and the lights went up the theater INSTANTLY buzzed with discussion. I got the impression that people reacted positively to the movie--although that might be because my group reacted that way.

Once the after-credits stinger started the entire theater hushed, watched the scene in silence...and then as soon as it was over the conversation started again after a brief moment of stunned silence. I think the conversation after that was a bit more subdued, considering that the tone of the stinger is very...bleak.

Anywho, re: Do I want more of the Dokes. I have kind of two separate answers to that.

Do I want more merchandise? Yes, yes I do. I can't buy more than a fraction of it since I'm pretty much always broke, but I just like that the OPTION is there for me. Most of my favorite series (Princess Tutu, Chrono Crusade, Paranoia Agent, D.N.Angel, etc) just don't have a whole lot of merchandise associated with them for various reasons, and I've always been a big collector, so I've been pretty bummed at how low my selection is typically. So having a flood of merchandise for a series I love that has so much stuff I like that I couldn't ever really hope to buy it all is pretty refreshing.

Now, do I want more of the series? Well, I really enjoyed Rebellion, and I want to see where they go with it after the twist ending. But at the same time, the original TV ending really is just plain better without the movie, and particularly now that the original writer seems to be done with the series I don't have very high hopes for what's going to come next. I'm completely prepared for them to run the series into the ground. I'll probably keep watching it out of curiosity (unless it just gets SO bad that it's unwatchable) but I don't think they'll ever top the TV series, so I'd be pretty happy to see them put out one or two more movies to tie everything up and then lay it to rest.

If they turn it into some sort of long-running, never-ending series a la Precure or Naruto or something I will probably get a little mad, honestly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If they turn it into some sort of long-running, never-ending series a la Precure or Naruto or something I will probably get a little mad, honestly.

Actually, I could see such a formula working if it is NOT focused on the Madoka cast.

I remember a poster saying that they were curious on a concept of "magical girls through time" in the Puella Magi verse, an endless production based on such a concept could work out without hurting the Madoka/Homura Storyline.
Yamato-san

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
I could personally go for a more or less infinite quantity of Dokes if it focused on other characters. We know there have been tons of other magical girls before Madoka et al were even born, and you could wring a lot of stories out of how different people react to the situation they find themselves in.

Hell, it's made clear in the show that there have been magical girls throughout history so you could do Dokes stories set in other time periods.

Admittedly, as much as I friggin' love this anime, I do worry quite a bit about stagnation. The world it takes place in does seem like it could be expanded on quite a bit, and yet almost all the spin-off media has been focused on the same five girls, an area within or close to Mitakihara, and/or the same month that Homura's been looping through time. Though, at least now they're releasing a manga based on Joan of Arc, so that's a start... to say nothing of Rebellion finally pushing the storyline past the "Walpurgisnacht is coming" period.

Also, I gotta say that I'm both surprised and pleased that Yuki Kajiura's still on board as of this latest movie (Kajiura being what most attracted me to this franchise in the first place). .hack more or less dumped her as soon as Liminality ended, and Mai-HiME/Otome failed to hold onto her up through the S.ifr OVA. If MadoMagi is to continue, I fear the day will come when she'll depart from it as well, but hopefully the franchise will still churn out some pretty decent music regardless. The PSP game's a good indication so far (incidentally, I still need to play through the rest of said game ^^').

FenixFiesta wrote:
notrogersmith wrote:
Is it me, or are the reviewers of the third Madoka movie conveying that it's more or less the Madoka series' equivalent to Full Metal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shamballa?

Rebellion isn't a dime a dozen "Anime: The Movie" productions, there may exist reasons why a person might legitimately complain about the film, but calling it a simple cash in project is not within the realm of an honest complaint.

Yeah, I don't know what kind of reviewers notrogersmith has come across, but the reaction I've been seeing has been a lot more positive, albeit still mixed. Even though I and several others feel that the series was perfect as is and didn't know how a continuation could possibly be done, this movie ended up pulling it off far better than any of us could've imagined, and regardless of how we all actually feel about the movie itself, a lot of us seem to agree it was nonetheless a highly worthy follow-up to the series that spawned it. And speaking personally, I really enjoyed the movie; it managed to genuinely surprise me and keep me on my toes in ways that only the series managed to do during its original Japanese broadcast.

A lot of people bitch about the ending, but to be fair, I recall quite a few people were pretty lukewarm about the series' ending as well, so it could be more accepted given some time (it's hardly such an asspull if you pay enough attention, besides which, it answers one of the few things that was bothering me with the series' conclusion: Madoka's wish to sacrifice herself is in direct contradiction with Homura's wish to protect Madoka). I don't know if it's been outright confirmed that the story will continue from here (in Urobuchi's interview, I can't tell if his mention of an unintended continuation refers to the franchise itself, or just extending the movie past his original ending of Madoka simply retrieving Homura), but honestly, I wouldn't mind if it does conclude here, with all the characters living in a superficial happiness (which is also about as bittersweet as the series itself ended with). Now they could continue from there, and actually show the conflict between Madoka and Homura rather than leave it up for implication, but let's be honest here: unless that storyline manages to screw with audience's minds as much as the series and this movie did, it's probably gonna go about as a lot of people expect and, frankly, dull as a result.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Question for everyone who's gone to the US screenings: Do you get any merch for the 15 bucks you pay or is it just the movie ticket?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:12 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Question for everyone who's gone to the US screenings: Do you get any merch for the 15 bucks you pay or is it just the movie ticket?

First some-odd (50? depends on the location?) people got an autograph card.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:35 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

At our theater they taped random autograph cards underneath people's seats, and also gave two random people a poster.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But a sequel to one of the best shows in recent years, while it's certainly not bad, needs to be better than this.

This hits the nail on the head, and sums up exactly how I felt. In answer to the question, no, I don't need any more, and am filing this movie under "sequels I pretend don't exist."

I'm sure more is coming, and I wish them well in salvaging this. But I don't think there's a way to navigate the course they've set for themselves. Either they veer off into insipidness, or stay the course, which would be kind of like diving into a Mandelbrot fractal -- you can go infinitely deep, but pretty soon the patterns will start to repeat.
tobeast777

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:26 am Reply with quote
I still think Dokes is way too hyped. It was ok... Best magical girl series is still Nanoha in my opinion though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4