Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Toast the New Year with Evangelion Champagne


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
classicalzawa
Space CowboySpace Cowboy


Joined: 19 Jan 2008
Posts: 5117

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Just goes to prove, if you can't make something more expensive by plastering NGE all over it, you are simply not trying hard enough.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Dop.L



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 328
Location: London

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I can't help wondering is there a big Evangelion Fan / Champagne Drinker crossover market?
Or is it a case of a fool and their money soon being parted?

Are there actually people out there buying this stuff and never opening it purely because it's Eva merchandise?

Given that it's probably the same as Cattier's 56 dollar champers it's a big markup!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chrno2



Joined: 28 May 2004
Posts: 4007
Location: USA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote
It's never ending.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Quark



Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 690
Location: British Columbia, Canada

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
I can't help wondering is there a big Evangelion Fan / Champagne Drinker crossover market?
Or is it a case of a fool and their money soon being parted?

Are there actually people out there buying this stuff and never opening it purely because it's Eva merchandise?

Given that it's probably the same as Cattier's 56 dollar champers it's a big markup!


Not going to lie, but the phrase "I want that" was uttered while looking at these. And I don't drink.
But for $350, I'd rather spend that money on some really nice figures instead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Adam Wednesdays



Joined: 24 Jun 2012
Posts: 30

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:44 pm Reply with quote
This article fails to answer the most important question - has the champagne been died orange? Because if not, someone really dropped the ball on that one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lizardking461



Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 199

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
these bottles of cuvée Brut Champagne herald from the Champagne region of France.


*Facepalm* You don't say? Otherwise, it wouldn't be champagne, it'd just be sparkling wine...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tenbyakugon



Joined: 11 Jan 2012
Posts: 625
Location: Ohio, United States of America

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:22 am Reply with quote
lizardking461 wrote:
Quote:
these bottles of cuvée Brut Champagne herald from the Champagne region of France.


*Facepalm* You don't say? Otherwise, it wouldn't be champagne, it'd just be sparkling wine...


American sparkling wines aren't subject to the strict culinary culture laws of the E.U. where sparkling wine from Champagne is the only kind that can be labeled as such. Popular American sparkling wine brands like Cook's and Korbel are marketed as such in some cases but come from California. True champagne comes with a cost (I'm looking at you, $65/bottle Veuve Cliquot.).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
lizardking461



Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 199

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:21 am Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:


American sparkling wines aren't subject to the strict culinary culture laws of the E.U. where sparkling wine from Champagne is the only kind that can be labeled as such. Popular American sparkling wine brands like Cook's and Korbel are marketed as such in some cases but come from California. True champagne comes with a cost (I'm looking at you, $65/bottle Veuve Cliquot.).


That may be the case, but that doesn't actually make those champagnes. By historical and many dictionary definitions, champagne must at least be made from grapes grown in Champagne. Same goes for stuff like Cognac, Armagnac etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Polycell
Thread KillerThread Killer


Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 3433

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:35 am Reply with quote
Next you'll be saying the parmesan cheese that they always throw in with delivered pizza isn't because it wasn't made in Parma. Actual use in a language determines what is what, not mercantilists begging for state privilege.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tenbyakugon



Joined: 11 Jan 2012
Posts: 625
Location: Ohio, United States of America

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:29 am Reply with quote
lizardking461 wrote:
Tenbyakugon wrote:


American sparkling wines aren't subject to the strict culinary culture laws of the E.U. where sparkling wine from Champagne is the only kind that can be labeled as such. Popular American sparkling wine brands like Cook's and Korbel are marketed as such in some cases but come from California. True champagne comes with a cost (I'm looking at you, $65/bottle Veuve Cliquot.).


That may be the case, but that doesn't actually make those champagnes. By historical and many dictionary definitions, champagne must at least be made from grapes grown in Champagne. Same goes for stuff like Cognac, Armagnac etc.


You're right, it definitely doesn't, and that was my point. Some American sparkling wines will be marketed as "champagne" because there are no legal restrictions saying they can't do that but it won't even be true, made-in-Champagne champagne.

Polycell wrote:
Next you'll be saying the parmesan cheese that they always throw in with delivered pizza isn't because it wasn't made in Parma. Actual use in a language determines what is what, not mercantilists begging for state privilege.


That's the European Union's perspective, anyway. The dichotomy has come to be, in America at least, that everything Parmesan cheese that was not made in Parma, Italy is "Parmesan cheese" and the counterpart that actually is made there remains "Parmigiano-Reggiano."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Managing Editor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 3819
Location: The OC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:45 am Reply with quote
lizardking461 wrote:
Quote:
these bottles of cuvée Brut Champagne herald from the Champagne region of France.


*Facepalm* You don't say? Otherwise, it wouldn't be champagne, it'd just be sparkling wine...


I don't know what kind of laws Japan has about labeling champagne, so I thought it reasonable to specify that it's "real" champagne, as opposed to just sparkling wine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
suprememoonempress



Joined: 21 Oct 2013
Posts: 91
Location: Georgia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:51 am Reply with quote
Just to show if you put Eva on it, it can sell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 10975

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Must be getting desperate. Japan is a country, after all, that every year celebrates the Autumn shipment of Beaujolais Nouveau wine. Wine drinkers will tell ya it's good for mouthwash. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lizardking461



Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 199

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:43 am Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:


You're right, it definitely doesn't, and that was my point. Some American sparkling wines will be marketed as "champagne" because there are no legal restrictions saying they can't do that but it won't even be true, made-in-Champagne champagne.


Ah, I got you. I hear American fizz had somewhat of a renaissance a while back. They any good?

ANN_Bamboo wrote:

I don't know what kind of laws Japan has about labeling champagne, so I thought it reasonable to specify that it's "real" champagne, as opposed to just sparkling wine.


Fair dues.

Polycell wrote:
Next you'll be saying the parmesan cheese that they always throw in with delivered pizza isn't because it wasn't made in Parma. Actual use in a language determines what is what, not mercantilists begging for state privilege.


Yeah, funnily enough, Parmigiano-Reggiano - like Champagne - is a protected designation of origin - by European law, only cheese from the provinces around Parma can be labelled as such.

Just because you can market or label something as something similar doesn't make it so. There would literally be no point in using a geographically indexical name for something unless it signified the place of origin. You'd think someone on an anime site would be familiar with such a concept...


Last edited by lizardking461 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Polycell
Thread KillerThread Killer


Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 3433

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:52 am Reply with quote
lizardking461 wrote:
Polycell wrote:
Next you'll be saying the parmesan cheese that they always throw in with delivered pizza isn't because it wasn't made in Parma. Actual use in a language determines what is what, not mercantilists begging for state privilege.


Yeah, funnily enough, Parmigiano-Reggiano - like Champagne - is a protected designation of origin - by European law, only cheese from the provinces around Parma can be labelled as such.
Let me reiterate myself: I don't give a flying flip what privileges the EU doles out compared to actual use.
Quote:
Just because you can market or label something as something similar doesn't make it so. There would literally be no point in using an geographically indexical name for something unless it signified the place of origin. You'd think someone on an anime site would be familiar with such a concept...
And just because some state somewhere defines something as the only thing that can be called something doesn't make it so.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group