• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Holiday Madness Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superdry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
superdry wrote:

Both Priss from BGC and Deedlit from Record of the Lodoss Wars are two of my favorite female anime characters of all time.

Both of them are pretty moe to me. But, I guess I was wrong all along this whole time then.

So you feel the need to protect Priss ? Priss needs no protection, the others around her are in need of protection. In my case I've never felt all warm and fuzzy and motherly towards Priss. On the other hand I find Priss sexy. But the feeling to protect her ? Hell no. Laughing

hahaha...no. I have no clue how you came to that conclusion besides trying to twist the word moe into a pejorative.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Voice actors/acresses being used for OP/ED other songs in the anime could probably have its own dedicated article or regular column.

There are more forgettable OP/ED songs by the voice actresses (e.g. TV Anime "The Qwaser of Stigmata (Seikon no Qwaser)" Outro Theme: Wishes Hypocrites) but there are also great songs that become karaoke and/or concert favourites (e.g. Paradise Lost / Minori Chihara (Ga-rei Zero OP)). Elements Garden written songs aren't generally intended to be filler material either.

There is a broad contiuum of voice actors/actresses who are singers and sometimes composers and instrumentalists as well. One wouldn't categorise Nana Mizuki the same as someone with very limited singing ability. The good singers become evident, and fans will buy their CD's and videos, without needing meet-and-greet tickets as incentives. Some series have had specific concerts and videos, the most successful probably being Macross Frontier.

Sometimes the promotion works the other way, with existing singers creating an interest in an anime (e.g. in my case, Chiaki Ishikawa's songs introducing me to Kamisama Dolls and Minori Chihara for Ga-Rei Zero). One article in the Daily Yomiuri ("Anison key component of anime fun", by Takamasa Sakurai, 14 September 2012, p11) noted that good music was necessary but not sufficient for a successful anime series.

People will follow interests in songs and voice actors/actresses between anime series and the live shows and music releases of the artists.
Himeko90

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:57 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Perhaps, but it's still a shitty trade-off. Especially considering how many early 2000s fans moe alienated. It put industries in both countries in the unfair position of having to re-introduce and re-invent anime to general audiences, simply to let casual viewers know that most anime is not like that otaku crap. So thanks, moe. You succeeded where tentacle rape failed in turning off people from anime.

What a troll-worthy comment.........
Timeenforceranubis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed how, for the most part, the "moé is so ill-defined!" or "moé is a meaningless term!" talking points are only brought up by people who tend not to like moé? Whereas fans of moé never need to bother with that, and often know exactly what each other are talking about when they say "moé?"
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Timeenforceranubis wrote:
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed how, for the most part, the "moé is so ill-defined!" or "moé is a meaningless term!" talking points are only brought up by people who tend not to like moé? Whereas fans of moé never need to bother with that, and often know exactly what each other are talking about when they say "moé?"

Actually I guess you're right, the term is really only misused by people getting a rise out of others, for the most part the term is used pretty well to categorize certain anime. I will complain that because it doesn't have a hard set definition you still get people who say "moe is loli", but that's better off ignored.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Timeenforceranubis wrote:
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed how, for the most part, the "moé is so ill-defined!" or "moé is a meaningless term!" talking points are only brought up by people who tend not to like moé?

It seems to me that it is just the opposite.
Whenever somebody claims that moe is the disease that is killing anime I might respond by pointing out that "moe," as he is using it, is poorly defined and meaningless and ask him to tell us what he means by "moe." I do not remember anybody ever responding with an actual explanation.
Typically they say "Everybody knows what it means. You're just trying to change the subject." or "If you don't know I can't explain it." or "This isn't about definitions." or, most likely, they just ignore the question.

Quote:
Whereas fans of moé never need to bother with that, and often know exactly what each other are talking about when they say "moé?"

I do not know if anybody really thinks of himself as a fan of moe, though I am probably one of the people who you would apply the term to.
I like a lot of characters and shows that other people people say are moe, but I do not think of moe that way. I am one of those who still consider moe to be an emotional response to a character.
Personally, I never make assumptions about what somebody means by "moe."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Because [yaoi fangirls] keep it to themselves and don't plaster that crap on banners or cars everywhere they go.
Tell that to the male bishie cosplayers who get glomped or harassed at conventions.

GATSU wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

Yes, spectacular Geneon sales failures like Fighting Spirit, Heat Guy J, Cybuster, Demon Lord Dante, and Rumiko Takahashi Anthology certainly were awful otaku-pandering moeblob-fests that turned viewers away en masse.

You forgot Rozen Maiden, Familiar of Zero, and Nanoha. Oh, and that shitty Ken Akamatsu thing which I guess is different from his other shitty stuff, because it's technically SFW. What was it again? Oh, yeah, Mao-Chan. Rolling Eyes Oh, and what was that other one? Right, Girls Bravo.
Note that all of those except Mao-chan and Nanoha were re-licensed by other companies, including two separate companies re-licensing Familiar of Zero. If they were really that toxic, I somehow doubt any other company would touch them. Plus, Geneon was already in a death spiral when they released FoZ and Nanoha. I won't claim that Geneon didn't have any moemoe sales bombs (Higurashi comes to mind, though that was also in the "death spiral" era), but pretending that Geneon's demise came about exclusively because of moe titles is willful ignorance.

Assuming relatively constant* per-episode dubbing costs, Geneon spent about as much creating the English and Spanish Fighting Spirit dubs as they would have on Higurashi, Strawberry Marshmallow, Popotan, Rozen Maiden, Familiar of Zero, Nanoha, Mao-chan, and Girls Bravo combined. And speaking of Girls Bravo, Chad Kime's ANNcast interview indicated that the straight-up boobs/panties/harem shows like it and Ikki-Tousen/DearS/etc. generally made money or at least "almost broke even"; in other words, they didn't show the kinds of spectacular failures that some of the more serious titles did.

*some of them may have been more expensive, but the notorious shoestring nonunion fly-by-night Nanoha and FoZ dubs should average them out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5