• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Remastered Ranma 1/2 Blu-ray Trailer Compares Differences

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:03 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

The first premium edition includes three discs with the series' first 23 episodes in original Japanese order

23 eps? The original Ranma 1/2 was only 18 eps. Why break that up.......
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:25 am Reply with quote
From the clips presented to us, I think some areas may look better(or are at least a little more discernible) on standard DVD than blu-ray than others do but overall, I think the blu-ray does look better. I'm willing to accept a little over-saturation here and there.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:33 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Murder, She wrote:

The first premium edition includes three discs with the series' first 23 episodes in original Japanese order

You got me on that one...!
I'm guessing they're splitting up the show to whatever their number crunchers say is more economical and will earn them their money back plus profit... This will NOT be exactly like the Japanese Blu ray release even though it's probably using the same HD masters.

The original Ranma TV run was split into two shows -- one 18-episode, the other 143 episodes.

Viz chose to do the series as "Seven Seasons" which made it convenient for them when they released the whole thing to DVD.

I don't even know if I'm going to get past the first 23 episodes and releases of the movies and OVA's myself! I have the entirety of what Viz released on DVD. I thought the first season was the best of the TV episodes. The show goes downhill by Season 3 and the production quality is up-and-down thereafter. There were a lot of filler episodes and only so many plots over the run of the TV show. It got really tired after a while! The highest quality production animation is definitely on the second motion picture and the 13 OVA's (the thirteenth of which Viz HASN'T officially announced licensing but you can bet it's probably being worked on now). I liked the second picture best of the "three motion pictures". Can't go wrong with the OVAs -- I thought they were all excellent and some of the better original AND adapted Ranma stories, too.

I would definitely get the OVA's and movies (widescreen PLEASE if that was the original theatrical presentation?) if they restore the original opening and ending animations to the OVA's and stop pretending that stuff was anything but three related OVA series plus some one-shots! I HATE it when home video companies cut opening/ending title animation and repurpose 2- and 3-part OVA series into motion pictures (Manga Video) or did what Viz/Pioneer did with the original 12 OVA's and strip one set of opening/ending animations for the whole shebang. What Pioneer and Viz did on the DVD releases of the OVA's sent this importer of the original Japanese OVA LD's up the wall... All the OVA opening/ending title music had been translated BUT they just used one set for the whole thing instead of keeping ALL the opener's/closer's for their proper OVA's! Very, very cheap presentation of the OVA's, IMHO.... But, then again, Pioneer didn't bother to subtitle at least half the opening/closing title animations on its DVD releases, either!
TehDarkPrince

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:41 am Reply with quote
Even if it wasn't bleeding, all the reds look over saturated in general. You can't even distinguish the shadow gradients in just about every scene that has red in it, except for one close up of Akane blocking a boxing glove with her hand bag. The cooler reds in the dvd version blend better with almost every scene as a whole, except for a couple where the backgrounds are warmer.

It makes me curious enough to ask: are the people involved in remasters artists in their own right? Do they know color, staging, and all the good stuff, or at least correspond with people who do? If the BD looks like the trailer, than that probably isn't the case, and they work strictly to get the most saturated colors and highest contrast possible.

I'd have to wait and see for a review.
bca360

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:55 am Reply with quote
Call me when they make a bluray box set for the OAV/Movies.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:46 pm Reply with quote
How butt-hurt can one be over the brightness of Ranma's red shirt or Akane's yellow leotard?

Can't people be fans without being little bitchy nitpicky nerds?
EricJ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:14 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Murder, She wrote:

What the heck is its "original Japanese order!"?
Which made me wonder whether they were going to break up and "fix" the TV series' idea of shuffling up the manga sequence by introducing Shampoo in the first season, and the Golden Pair in the second season. (Thus causing Akane to "remember" Ranma standing up for her when he hadn't done it yet.)
That was the show's fault and not Viz's, but the purist fans still nitpicked anyway.

(And George? Don't go nuts like you do on the other board.
You might get a free ride over there, but we've got mods here who'll ban you for blinking. Wink )
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:28 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
How butt-hurt can one be over the brightness of Ranma's red shirt or Akane's yellow leotard?

Why not be discerning? Do you just accept everything that comes to you without a shred of curiosity or questioning? Do we have to grateful and grovel before VIZ's feet for this BD or somehting?
EricJ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:40 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
the-antihero wrote:

Why not be discerning? Do you just accept everything that comes to you without a shred of curiosity or questioning? Do we have to grateful and grovel before VIZ's feet for this BD or somehting?

No, but given their 20-year history, we've learned to say "That was a good thing you did, Viz!" before they get mad and wish all three Rumiko series back into the cornfield again... Rolling Eyes

Just humor the rest of us on this one, 'nuff said--Hold off with the anger-management for a bit until they get UY back on Blu again with a dub, and THEN go into whiny Occupy Viz fanboy mode.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:13 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:

To be fair,

You should expect higher quality from Blu ray than DVD.
People are expecting an image that's truer to the original cel colors and linework than what you get on DVD or VHS which due to the technical specs of those formats degrades the original image quite a bit.
THOSE are the reasons people upgraded to Blu ray players and broke down and bought HD TV sets. If you can't understand that, then stick to the DVD sets BUT don't criticize other people for expecting better from a video format that supposedly is at least 6-8 times sharper than DVD ever was on its best day. People want their money's worth and what they were promised!

Ranma 1/2 TV episodes were shot on 16mm film.
16mm film transfers better than expected to Blu ray. In the early days before BD mastering became more routine, there were expectations that 16mm remastering for HD wouldn't give meaningful outcomes on the new format.

That hasn't been the case when proper restoration has been done for 16mm film and QUALITY HD mastering is done, too. Good outcomes are still dependent on having good master films to work with and a video production house with technicians who know what they're doing. That's true with larger size film being transferred to HD/Blu ray as well.

I would say that based on most people's reactions to the comparison clips, Viz failed to impress. I don't know who put out the video clip but it does not inspire a lot of confidence. I don't know if this is the result of compressing video to fit online or just a bad early sample of the work that was done on the Ranma 1/2 BD remaster... Either way, the early PR/video teaser kind of blew it.

Most people will stick around to see how the final product actually turns it but this was not a good way to tease it...

The earliest we will know anything more definitive about the video quality on the Ranma 1/2 Blu ray project is after the first Japanese BD set releases at the end of January... then we'll know for sure whether this clip represents how the BD set will turn out or if it's just a mistake by Viz. The video quality between the Japanese and North American Viz releases shouldn't be different if they're using the same master tapes for BD.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
And we're also not "wrong" for basing any kind of early opinions on a preview video, that's the entire point of it to exist, to show us what the outcome should reasonably look like. FUNi's DBZ videos clearly showed how awful their new BD was going to be, but this will take a bit more discerning.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:41 pm Reply with quote
sailorvista wrote:
I got all of the DVD box sets. Some are slim pack and others are the old style box. I do not know if it worth the money then to upgrade. Is it a Dragon ball z loop

Nope,

The Ranma 1/2 TV DVD box set releases in North America were identical between the original "fat boxes" and thin paks. The only differences were fixing up audio issues that creeped into some of the original releases and putting the same number of discs into smaller disc jackets so that more boxes could be put onto the shelves at Best Buy.

There's no way Ranma 1/2 will go through as many changes and edits as DBZ. Ranma IS popular but still nowhere near as popular as DBZ. It's also nowhere near padded episode-wise as DBZ.

Both shows had the problem that the original manga were still being produced while the TV series were in production. They both had original story arcs AND padding in episodes to deal with the slow pace of manga material appearing that could be adapted. DBZ just went on and on for a long time in production because it was such a popular series. The ending for the DBZ manga did get worked into the DBZ TV show. They both ended their original runs within a year. The Ranma 1/2 manga was produced for over 5 years after the TV series ended (it ran 1989-1992) and there was no ending for it really since Takahashi hadn't come up with an ending for it. In the meantime, Ranma 1/2 was still popular so that it continued as 3 separate OVA series plus a twelfth OVA that was released as a "third" Ranma movie in Japan. I think the interest in Ranma (in Japan) had just dried up by the time the last 1990s OVA was produced.

The Dragonball and Ranma 1/2 mangas ran roughly contemporarily and almost the same length. DB/DBZ manga ran 1984-1995; Ranma 1/2 manga ran 1987-1996. DBZ beats Ranma on paper by 3-4 volumes (41-42 collected volumes versus Ranma's 38). DB/DBZ were in constant production for ten years as animated TV shows and there have been something like 12-13 DB/DBZ movies. That's 444 episodes of Dragonball/Z versus 161 Ranma TV episodes + 3 Ranma movies + 12 Ranma OVA's. There's lot a more DBZ product out there!
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
Let's use side by shots not from a Youtube video, shall we?

Do remember those shots are from the JP BDs. Those averaged 6 episodes per disc as opposed to ~7-8(23/3) here so we can't be sure if it's even the same master.

Leaving aside any conspiracy theories on intentionally botched masters from the JP side to prevent reverse importation...

Woah now...!

You haven't seen the differences between the Japanese releases of Sailor Moon Seasons 1 and 2 and what ADV released in the US?

How about all the CONFIRMED stories on how Funimation had to do restoration work on Dragonball Z to get their early DVD releases in releasable form?

Those were bad master tapes Toei gave to ADV and Funimation for those two very popular shows. People can continue to give ADV and Funi crap for some of their translation choices and the way certain shows have been marketed and remarketed over the years but you can't blame them for the quality of the source material (video tapes, audio) that they were given by the people they licensed the shows from!

That WAS shoddy treatment on the original show owner's part.
Completely unfair and unnecessary. Those shows were already out on Japanese DVD well before the first US DVD's got released.

Toei proved later on that wasn't an accident. Their own short-lived home video label in the US produced some of the absolutely worst and ineptly made anime DVDs released anywhere outside of a bootlegger's market.

The kinder way to deal with reverse importation is the way Disney's been dealing with Ghibli releases: delays for up to a year so as to give the other foreign AND Japanese markets time to sell as many BD/DVD's as possible before the US releases. I actually don't mind waiting knowing I'll get pretty much the same thing as the other Region A releases (Japan) for half the cost or less.
The only other option is a "same-day release everywhere" but the only problem with that is that the film rights holders are going to demand higher prices on the American market discs, too. Staggered releases aren't perfect but it works to the advantage of people who have tight entertainment budgets, multiple hobbies, and/or DON'T want to spend $80 on every movie disc they buy!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:20 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:

People are expecting an image that's truer to the original cel colors and linework than what you get on DVD or VHS which due to the technical specs of those formats degrades the original image quite a bit.

... and film grain while retaining a clear HD image plus muted, vibrant colors of an uncropped image with a specific episode count. The only constant is people agreeing on it being done in the first place and that's "just barely". Hey, why not add the intermittent static and snow of the TV broadcast while you're at it? "Reproduce the full experience!"

It's the old typical spiel {this happens in one of my other hobbies, music reproduction. Put it a digital format and people will miss the imperfections of vinyl and tape playback because "analog is just better."}: The latest format is the "ultimate format" and this Remaster will stand for all time - until the next format comes out or someone just wants to RE-Un-Remaster the product in order to rerelease it...

People, what do they want? They want to want, they want to find it wanting, a "well, it's ... bad, I can tell" reaction rather than "OMG, this is perfection!! I can tell..."

I can't tell but I like what I see. Still, since I boost the color intensity on my visual set-up anyway, I have a certain bias towards colors. The dazzling red blazer beats the hell out of the ... burgundy? Really? ... one, even if it's bleeding {on a youtube image. Yeah...}. If I have to mute my set-up then I'll know they went to far with it.

I like the price, I like the episode count, I love the box. I'm sold. Viz has done the impossible, got me interested in buying a Rumiko Takahashi show but it probably helps it's the only one I haven't seen. She has a reputation and it has to be for something.
superdry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:14 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
superdry wrote:

Leaving aside any conspiracy theories on intentionally botched masters from the JP side to prevent reverse importation...

Woah now...!

You haven't seen the differences between the Japanese releases of Sailor Moon Seasons 1 and 2 and what ADV released in the US?

Well, yes, I do about stuff like that.

My main point which you didn't quote was pointing out to the person I replied to was a blu-ray with 7-8 episodes on a BD50 will have minor quality loss, if any, compared to 6 episodes on a blu-ray if done by someone who knows what they're doing.

Which is why I prefaced my post with what you did quote, but now, I think about it, I should have said "if Viz receives a copy of the same exact masters the JP used."
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4