• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Space Dandy's 90-Second Trailer Previews English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:36 am Reply with quote
jree78 wrote:
Somehow this reminds me of Redline, I don't know why.

It's the hair.

Definitely the hair. Cool
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:23 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

And I wasn't saying that disliking fanservice=thinking men should dislike the female form or as some idiot once told me I think all women should dress like nuns.

What I said is I am against the objectifying of women that happens in fanservice. That the female character is known for her "big boobs" and not as a fully realized character. I don't care if a female character is flat chested or has the most amazing cleavage, I just don't want that to be the focus of her character.

As Crow Lia points out a female character who is known for her body and dim wits doesn't sound very promising.

You can also keep talking about your experience with "women" but that sounds silly on a message board when you are debating with other women.

I've never really bought into the 'objectification' line of reasoning that many people who dislike fanservice are invested in, mainly for two reasons.

The first is that it suggests people can't be admired for their positive physical attributes unless they also have positive personality attributes or a fleshed-out character as well. There seems to be this perception that if a woman is portrayed sexily, then she must be "balanced out" by having a compelling character or personality. But that sort of reasoning seems to imply that being "sexy" just by itself is a negative quality, that has to be made up for by some other perceived positive attribute in order to legitimize the character. Now if you have a female character with a flat personality alone that doesn't happen to be sexy, for some reason there's no reason to take offense at that--- but a character can't just be sexy, you have to be sexy and intelligent, or sexy and compelling. It suggests that you can't just appreciate the beauty of a woman by itself, which makes it into a negative that I think it isn't.

The second reason is that the only way I could see the act of admiring physicality alone as being offensive, is if you project onto a character a sexist message that isn't necessarily being communicated by the author in the first place. It's my impression that in many cases of fanservice, the authors are mainly trying to appeal to the audience's carnal physical libido, more than they are to impart any story-telling characterizations or sensibilities. And for the most part, that's how I interpret it --- I don't try to view the work as some sort of commentary on real-world gender-issues. For example, if I see a shirtless male character in a shojo, dojinshi or BL manga, that's made out to be incredibly tall/handsome/rich, with predictably stock suave and/or intelligent personality traits, I don't take offense that the character is presenting a completely distorted and unrealistic view of male beauty and personality traits, because I don't see the author as pushing a message/agenda (intentional or not) that this is how men should be in the real world. I just roll my eyes. because I know those characters are designed to appeal to the fetishes and tastes of their female readership. Or as another example, I'm sure there are members of PETA who take offense at Wile E. Coyote being a stooge, suffering the raw end of physical comedy for the sake of entertaining the masses, but that stigma of "offense" doesn't ring true to me when the author's intent was clearly comedy and not a commentary on animal rights issues. Taking offense at something like that seems to suggest more of projecting an issue onto the work, than the work itself somehow reflecting the issue. I don't see, then, the character Honey in Space Dandy as being some sort of unintended message by the creators that "women should be sexy", or that "unintelligent women are preferable", because I think that's reading meaning into the character that isn't being communicated by the creators in the first place.

Now I do agree that there can be problems with 'objectification' in creative works, but I don't see that problem from a sexist point of view. I consider objectification bad from a story-telling standpoint, when it's done in a manner that's dissonant with the atmosphere/spirit of a work to the point of breaking the 4th wall, making overly clear the creator's intent to service the fans. It can be a distraction and bad story-telling if it's out of place or excessive, because it has the effect of taking you out of the work.

I think from a broader perspective "Objectification" is an inherent aspect of story-telling, in the sense that all characters are essentially designed as vehicles to convey an author's story and entertain an audience. Some are designed with more independent agency and personality that's distanced from the author than others, and it's often true that in classic works the author's presence of design is far-removed from the presentation. But not all works are trying to be classics, and I think fluff characters have their place in entertainment as well, offering a simple, uncomplicated diversion for scratching an audience's particular itch.

And just to be clear on my own personal stance on fanservice and women in creative works --- I absolutely love strong female characters, and personally wish there were a lot of more of them in entertainment. There are few things I love more than seeing women legitimately kick ass and take names, regardless of whether they're sexy or not. I adored how Lenneth was originally portrayed as a noble warrior in the original Valkyrie Profile, and was severely disappointed by subsequent attempts to "sex up" her character by trying to make her dress more revealing. Although I do appreciate sexy and fun female characters, I'm much more intrigued by women with bold and take-charge personalities. TBH, I'm infinitely more annoyed by the culture of "cute" that seems to promote weak-kneed daintiness instead of more compelling grandiose ambition amongst women (which is one of the reasons I really love the character Satsuki in Kill la Kill).

CrowLia wrote:
Obviously we're watching different trailers. I just rewatched this one and she doesn't even show up, as opposed to 15 seconds of "LOL BOOBIES!"

Actually, if you watch again you'll notice she is in fact in the trailer and fighting, at 1:16. But it's a lot more clear if you've watched the other trailers, where you can basically tell she's the one who's fighting.

jree78 wrote:
Somehow this reminds me of Redline, I don't know why.

Black-haired adult-guy with a pompadour and a cool jacket speeding across the galaxy with wacky-looking aliens all around, that probably has something to do with it. Very Happy
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Christ let episode 1 speak for itself. The man himself said they aim to make space dandy "the stupidest anime ever" with glee. all I'm worried about is whether it's humor will make me lose my shit for two cours. Otherwise the trailers look fun, and I'm not even a 90's junkie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6