• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling DVDs in Japan, #1-50: 2013

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully those EVA sales will encourage them to work harder on the final movie. I was disappointed that it got moved back to Winter 2015, but as long as its just because they want to get the job done right and its not a matter of financial problems, I am fine with it. The last thing I want is for it to have the same budget issues as the show.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Given the way the merch and discs move, I'm pretty sure it's physically impossible for Khrara to have financial problems.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:35 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
The last thing I want is for it to have the same budget issues as the show.

The show was a complete unknown quantity and probably couldn't get more budget from people cutting the checks. It's unlikely that now that it's a cash cow, it wouldn't be able to get extra funding if needed. It kinda already happens considering that any delay in release date means people are having to be paid for a longer period of time.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

The show was a complete unknown quantity and probably couldn't get more budget from people cutting the checks. It's unlikely that now that it's a cash cow, it wouldn't be able to get extra funding if needed. It kinda already happens considering that any delay in release date means people are having to be paid for a longer period of time.

You mean they are unlikely to get more funding, right?

That's pretty much what I figured, but my naturally optimistic self just likes to hope. Definitely a valid point in terms of labor costs.
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
they have enough funds, dont see them getting more unless anno wants to make a 3-4 hour final movie, only time can tell.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote
vangelionite88 wrote:
they have enough funds, don't see them getting more unless anno wants to make a 3-4 hour final movie, only time can tell.

I'm sure you're right. Hey, I wouldn't mind a 3-4 hour final though haha.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:57 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

No, the total and complete opposite.

If something is a total and complete unknown quantity, people may not be willing to increase the budget if it runs into shortfalls. It would be a risk because who knows if the the product will even be successful on the original budget?

When you have something like Evangelion and you know with like 99% accuracy that's it's going to be one of the largest grossing and highest selling releases of the year, you would be more willing to increase the budget because there is very low risk of it not being successful unless they came with some crazy number like wanting to double or triple the original budget.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

No, the total and complete opposite.

If something is a total and complete unknown quantity, people may not be willing to increase the budget if it runs into shortfalls. It would be a risk because who knows if the the product will even be successful on the original budget?

When you have something like Evangelion and you know with like 99% accuracy that's it's going to be one of the largest grossing and highest selling releases of the year, you would be more willing to increase the budget because there is very low risk of it not being successful unless they came with some crazy number like wanting to double or triple the original budget.

I see. Haha, sorry. The double negative confused me. But yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for the input.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1