• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Unleashed in Canada?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
herbkir

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:17 am Reply with quote
That's a bizarre turn of events. I can't imagine why the CRTC would turn down Tech TV's request. I'd bet TTV lost because of a technicality rather than some problem CRTC has with the idea of TTV running anime and fiction programming. Canada's YTV Network, for instance, runs anime and other fiction programming. Remember this is Canada, where govt. is a stickler for the legal technicalities. (^_*)
herbkir

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:37 am Reply with quote
Turns out there may be a "reason" for CRTC denying TTV its license expansion -- intellectual protectionism. I saw a post in another thread here saying Canada wants to restrict importation of foreign TV programs to protect its native TV channels and programs from being buried under a stream of American, Japanese and other foreign content. Hooey!! Canadians do produce decent programming and the good stuff will be carried, despite the influx of foreign material. It may be that govt. officials are insecure about Canada's national culture and fear it cannot survive against foreign ideas. Sad, if true. (^_*)
Stockmosh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Usually, Canadian broadcasters are not leaned upon as harshly as TechTV was by the CTRC. However, because of the fact that TechTV is not a brodcast network (like YTV or CTV), but rather an outlet (which has the majority of programming provided by the American arm), the CTRC sees some reason to jump on them. I've been watching Canadian broadcasting for a long time (we can pick up CTV and YTV from over Lake Erie here in OH), and have never heard of this being an issue before. Another fine example of the Canadian government overreacting in areas where they are over-regulating.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Wait... how can you watch YTV in Ohio? I thought it was a cable/satellite-only channel. Do they carry YTV on some American cable/satellite TV providers, or are you watching the raw satellite feed on an old, big-ass TerrorVision-style dish?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Stockmosh wrote:
Another fine example of the Canadian government overreacting in areas where they are over-regulating.

That is a very debatable statement the way it is phrased. Every country puts importance in its culture and its uniqueness. Living next to a country that speaks the same language but is 10 times as populous, it would be very easy for Canadian culture to be overun by American culture.

Most Canadians agree that they do not want to see this happen, and most agree that the single biggest place where American culture is permeating Canadian culture is mass media, primarilly television.

So you'd be surprised how many Canadians actually support the CRTC's decision to require a certain percentage of Canadian content on Canadian television stations.

And if a country's population supports regulations, as abundant as they may be, it isn't over-regulation.

Now then, all this aside, I don't see any reason that denying Tech TV's request would benefit cultural protectionism, so I am a bit surprised and dissapointed by the decision.

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ikari

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:06 pm Reply with quote
It may take a while, but I am still in the hopes that eventually "The Anime Network" will be available to us Canadians eventually.

If Tech TV is able to cut through the red tape though and get Anime Unleashed on air, I would be REALLY excited. I have faith that the CRTC will be good to us in the end.

^^;;
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:15 am Reply with quote
Well, you all want to know what I long to say to the CRTC?

"Why don't you just piss off, Fischer, ya dotty wee skid mark?"

("Is that Latin?")
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Glenn Sempai

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:40 am Reply with quote
There is allot of stuff that pains me about doing animation in Canada is the fact that blood and death can't be shown in some forms of animation.

As for Canadian content? Well, one of the facets of D Glenn Entertainment is the fact that we employs a staff-on-demand staffing principal. That allows us to employ the type of staff when we need them and from anyware on the globe. So D Glenn naturally has a presence in Canada as well as Asia and Europe. In Canada, we have had entire productions done there - thanks to or partners there. In tern, our local staff (of three) has done some work for our partners in Canada. These kind of alliances gives D Glenn an International flavor that nobody else has. So we have little problems with CTRC.
RantingOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:17 am Reply with quote
I honestly do not see a problem with it, if anything the CRTC should get rid of all them stupid @$$ reality TV shows and talk shows (the View, Maury, Springer etc).

Yes preserving the local culture is a good thing, but it's getting rediculous, we get pumped full of the craptacular shows from the US (no offense guys, it's a personal opinion). But if the crap that YTV shows is considered anime, I pity the future of it here in Canada. Just imagine if enough of us petitioned to get the all anime channel Shocked

As it is right now, unless you live in one of the larger cities (Toronto, Montreal, Winnipeg), you are pretty well SOL for getting anime... it costs about $6 per rental (2 days though, not bad) and most dvd's sell for $50+ with boxed sets going $250+. I've even tried calling the crtc.. on hold for an hour, then they hung up on me! Evil or Very Mad
Ikari

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:21 am Reply with quote
Ok, so I emailed the CRTCabout this a while back and they just got back to me recently. I figured you guys might want to know more about WHY "Anime Unleashed" cannot show in Canada.

This is the link for the license TechTV had with the CRTC....and it explains all http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Decisions/2003/db2003-169.htm

It's mostly jargon, but in the first paragraph we see that Anime Unleashed apparently belongs to the category of "Drama and Comedy"....which was a category that the CRTC....believing that Tech TV was meant only for Internet and technology programming mainly....deemed unsuitable for our consumption as subscribers to TechTV.

So basically, it has nothing to do with the fact that it is anime, but rather the category the "Anime Unleashed" block belongs to is unsuitable.

It's all kinda lame really, and the CRTC is going to let them have game shows....but not "drama and comedy".....pitiful.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:53 am Reply with quote
Hey,

I think we actually covered this in the first article, animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=3513.

But yeah, that's exactly it, TecHTV isn't mandated to show "dramatic" (ie: Fictional) programming.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1