• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Space Dandy (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:34 am Reply with quote
This episode reminded me of some of the unfunny segments of Monty Python or some of the more bizarre works by Spike Milligan. I did try to like this episode, the theme of the episode was interesting and wonderfully chaotic but I did not laugh at any of it. The absurdity of the episode was good but they just ruined it with unfunny characters and parodies.

There is a good show within this somewhere but they rely too much on the 'lol random' field of comedy.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:50 am Reply with quote
Well I laughed my ass of in this episode and thought it was wonderfully creative.The insane Kanada style animation at the beginning was wonderful to watch, it is kind of stuff Imaishi would animate.The closest episode to this one would have to be episode 4 (not weird , considering they share the same writer) , they took a simple premise and then took it to insane directions , while still inserting a lot of references.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 1

Laughing That was great, perfect way to start the second season by making jokes of the whole premise. I found multiple parts funny, even just the opening part of Dandy apparently spoiler[getting a cow]. Other gems being things like the spoiler[changing styles], and an alternate spoiler[Gogol Empire being a carrot person and an actual gorilla]. And of course spoiler[creepy meowing] Meow.

Totally want spoiler[gender bent Dandy and Meow]. But what was with the spoiler[white stuff on hot Meow's face]? With Space Dandy's constantly changing pace I look forward to more.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:21 pm Reply with quote
So.

The first episode of Space Dandy: Season Two was WAY better than the first episode of Season One. The animation was great, the humor was good, and the concept and execution was strong. I had the dorkiest smile on my face while watching this. Easily the best part of the entire package was the endless amounts of creativity.

Now onto spoilers!

spoiler[I loved the way that Dandy and crew traveled through the alternate dimensions. It tied in very well with the very first episode as well. Also, the alternate dimensions themselves looked unique, pretty much giving me an animation-enthusiast nosebleed just from watching. The ending was perfect, giving just the right amount of laughs and surprises to keep me watching. Overall, the second season if off to a great start!]

And those are my thoughts. Happy viewing, everyone![/b]
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:12 am Reply with quote
That was just wonderful. I'm glad the show is back, and with such a strong start. Great visual storytelling, great humor, great entertainment.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:04 am Reply with quote
Regarding this week's episode, I'll have Honey and Bea sum things up:

Alexis Tipton @AlexisTiptonVA · 9m
spoiler[So he's the alien version of the joker....#LetsPutASmileOnThatFace #SpaceDandy]

Micah Solusod @maioceaneyes · 5m
Remember, kids! The next time you see @BrycePapenbrook at a convention... give him your best smile~ #SpaceDandy
GreyFoxes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:24 am Reply with quote
So that was a weird episode, but I suppose for Space Dandy, that is sort of par for the course.

I knew as soon as Dandy started to imagine a sexy alien had sent him that letter, there was no way that was going to be who he would find. The ukulele skeleton alien he did find was creepy, but his flail-y dance was actually kind of funny.

I was glad that they brought back spoiler[Dandy's surfing.]

Lastly, I think that had to be one of the least informative next episode previews I have seen.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:40 am Reply with quote
So spoiler[Dandy pretty much gets trolled when he thought a "beautiful girl" would actually invite him over.]

Oh well...at least he gets to show off his cool spoiler[surfing moves] right? And damn, I need to get that OST because it was dandy, baby.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
First things first...

Wow, Bryce Papenbrook really shined in this episode. (Fun Fact: I was trying to place the actor and only realized why the voice was so familiar during the end credits. It was because I heard it yesterday while watching Attack on Titan.) I loved Ukulele Man in this episode. Sympathetic motivations, sympathetic backstory...spoiler[too bad he was evil. I really liked Ukulele Man. Uwah. Sad]

Anything else? I didn't know Japan knew that capybaras exist. Certainly didn't expect seeing them this episode.

The premise was very interesting, and our antagonist was creepy and yet kind of lovable. Also, l loved how they executed the river of time idea. Very good.

That's kind of it. Good story, great animation, interesting alien, and loads of creativity. This show is fun!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 2

Standard creepy weirdness they can have, not among the best episodes. Had me thinking of Majora's Mask. Liked the touch of QT spoiler[having a skeleton while it was being shocked]. And a spoiler[time loop].

That preview, now that is weird.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
First things first...

Wow, Bryce Papenbrook really shined in this episode. (Fun Fact: I was trying to place the actor and only realized why the voice was so familiar during the end credits. It was because I heard it yesterday while watching Attack on Titan.) I loved Ukulele Man in this episode. Sympathetic motivations, sympathetic backstory...spoiler[too bad he was evil. I really liked Ukulele Man. Uwah. Sad]

Anything else? I didn't know Japan knew that capybaras exist. Certainly didn't expect seeing them this episode.

The premise was very interesting, and our antagonist was creepy and yet kind of lovable. Also, l loved how they executed the river of time idea. Very good.

That's kind of it. Good story, great animation, interesting alien, and loads of creativity. This show is fun!
capybaras are actually becoming really popular in Japan. There's a zoo where they have their own hot spring. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bXJ6PxSlBs
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Ukulele Man was creepy. Not only does he spoiler[turn people/other lifeforms into statues], but he can spoiler[crawl inside their petrified bodies to wear their smiles?] And since he thought Dandy had the "perfect" smile, spoiler[that means he wanted to wear his petrified body forever.] Yeah, too creepy. I guess I do feel a bit sorry for him, but still.

Next episode...yeah, what? I don't understand, but looks like it could be a lot of fun.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:06 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 3:

Good episode! Not only was it quite out of this world and unique but also because of Masaaki Yuasa directing it.

Next week should be fun with the spoiler[school concept]. I hope it works out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:18 am Reply with quote
You can absolutely tell where the budget on the episode was spent, so it was so lopsided.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:23 am Reply with quote
Holy sheep shit, that Shinya Ohira scene was mind blowing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 24