• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Space Dandy (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Anyway, I feel like this was the most 80's episode of Space Dandy. And not just due to the inclusion of 80's arcade video game universe, the moody lighting in the beginning was reminiscent of early Sci-Fi OVAs.
Yep, very 1880s: Flatland.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 11

That episode was kind of doing my head in. I can't think of many anime that really tackled these concepts of dimensions, fairly high level theoretical concepts. The end of the episode brought up the idea that what they shown as warping spoiler[might seem that way from our perspectives]. But from a spoiler[4th dimensional being's perspective they are not really actually changing location, but just popping out an almost identical universe where they want to go is the same place]. It really is not too uncommon to get into thinking exercises of how things would look and be perceived upon different dimensions.

I remember reading an article or watching a video from a certain fact comedy site that went over some of the concepts. Actually, wasn't there a Simpsons episode?

Also retro video game references are funny.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
danilo07 wrote:
Anyway, I feel like this was the most 80's episode of Space Dandy. And not just due to the inclusion of 80's arcade video game universe, the moody lighting in the beginning was reminiscent of early Sci-Fi OVAs.
Yep, very 1880s: Flatland.

Unless Flatland envisioned two-dimensional world as a retro video game, I think my observation stands.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:41 am Reply with quote
PAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUULLL!!!!

*ahem* As we near the end of Space Dandy I found myself growing more and more depressed and yet more joyful. Sure, a show I really like is coming to an end. On the other hand, it'll be down to five shows at the same time for me.

For this episode...I have to admit, it may have been too geeky for me. I really liked the look and art shifts we see. Honey has proven herself once again to be much smarter than she looks. I really like the dub voice for Catherine. Other than that?

This episode wasn't my thing. It was good, but I personally don't care for it. I'm still depressed because last episode was the final episode Kimiko Ueno wrote. Sad

Next time...Dandy goes to court? Huh.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:06 am Reply with quote
spoiler[TO BE CONTINUED?!]

Well, I almost feel trolled by the latest episode because of spoiler[Dandy being asleep and all during the trial.] I wonder what will happen next though but it sure doesn't look pretty...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:28 am Reply with quote
Law and Order with 12 Angry Men

Interesting since until recently, Japan doesn't have a jury system.

Next ep, we find out what Dandy really is, and all his friends a-comin' to rescue him.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:08 am Reply with quote
At least we know Johnny will be coming to help Dandy. However, the jury's still out on some of Dandy's other associates, like Adelie, Prince, Freckles, and Gentle. It'd be neat if they all came back for the finale, though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Note to self, don't hire green for legged alien defence lawyers.

I loved the spoiler[Twitter] bit, I hope we will eventually have another show that can do similar humour. This episode was a convenient way to summarise Dandy's character, the series is putting up a bit of hype for the finale.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:40 am Reply with quote
Actually a somewhat weaker episode this week I thought. Not bad by any stretch but probably my least favorite of the season after Space Gentleman. It was a bit on the dull side. Not much visual flair. Very talky and without much in the way of depth or humor to support it. The premise was interesting and might have worked given more time to breathe but they had such a mouthful just trying to explain their convoluted scenario that the latter half just felt like pure exposition. Plus, they seemed to contradict their own premise when the defense attorney spoiler[suddenly starts arguing for Dandy being the murderer for no clear reason.] Ah well. Hopefully the finale will be better.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, not too much to say about the episode this time around, except it looks like the promise of "To be Continued" might this time actually be true?

Well, I find myself with high hopes for the finale, hope I'm not wrong to do so.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:58 am Reply with quote
OH MY GOD I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS SHOW IS ALMOST OVER I'M SO SAAAAAAD. Sad

*ahem* Anyway, this episode was fine. It is Dai Sato, after all, and I'm very much indifferent. However, I really liked the idea of this episode. The acting for the dub was pretty good, with returning members and some really good performances for this week's guest characters. I really loved the designs for the two lawyers.

Also, I thought the use of spoiler[Twitter] was pretty fun.

Well, that's it. It's over next week. I can't believe it. I'm going to go cry now. :'(
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:40 pm Reply with quote
IIRC, according to CC subs, it's "Chwitter." Laughing
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:11 am Reply with quote
No more Space Dandy Anime cry

I gotta say, Dandy's decision right there literally had me laughing for a moment. Well, he's the spoiler[Dandy man so he does what he wants even if it's against the will of a God/Narrator/Divine Entity.]

8/10. I expect the ambiguous message at the end to be a movie announcement because Bones said they would like to work on a Space Dandy movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:24 am Reply with quote
Still trying to gather my thoughts regarding the finale. In the meantime, here's some commentary from Honey and Bea:

Alexis Tipton @AlexisTiptonVA · 42m
spoiler[All of the main cast of Space Dandy knew about Bea's twist before @maioceaneyes did and he hated us haha #SpaceDandy]

Micah Solusod @maioceaneyes · 38m
spoiler[They hid that plot twist from me for almost two months! #SpaceDandy]
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:44 am Reply with quote
I generally don't like the show, but since it's on in the middle of Toonami and I have a tendency to play games on my laptop later than I should, I often catch it, so I saw last night's episode.

And the only thing I could think of was that it was a parody/rip-off of spoiler[Madoka].

It's got all the benchmarks. Multiple universes, Dandy being the same guy in each of them, spoiler[Dandy being given a chance to become god, because of this power that was built up over all the universes].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 24