• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Goverment Funds New Foreign Channel to Air Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Himeko90

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
They amount of PROFIT CR makes is pretty disgusting, especially considering they were rewarded for being criminals so many years ago.

THIS.

One of the reasons why I have a bone to pick with CR and am not really open to using their service.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Himeko90 wrote:

THIS.

One of the reasons why I have a bone to pick with CR and am not really open to using their service.

So basically, "I love anime so much that I don't have to support the industry"?
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:11 pm Reply with quote
If this comes to fruition, they better include Canada
thenix

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:16 pm Reply with quote
this would probably be less expensive if Japan wasn't so paranoid about putting tv shows online.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
It seems to me that "15.5 billion yen (about US$14.7 million)" is chump change for attempting to launch a new TV channel. (As "foreign broadcasting offices", I assume that is what this will be rather than a strictly online endeavor).

Even if this were online only, $14.7 million seems on the lean side considering dubbing was also mentioned.

Himeko90 wrote:

So it is safe to assume you've never in your life viewed fansubs? If so, congratulations. If not, and even if you've since stopped, you're effectively the pot calling the kettle black.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Himeko90 wrote:

THIS.

So basically, "I love anime so much that I don't have to support the industry"?

Everyone so far in this thread who is anti-CR has either:

A) Shown enthusiasm for Cool Japan, or
B) Expressed how they'd prefer obtaining and viewing anime

For all you know, the guy you're quoting has shelves worth of anime. So basically, "your comment is dickheaded and lacks any and all forethought."
---------------------------------------------------------
I hate watching things on a computer screen. I'm all for an actual TV channel that shows anime. There are also devices such as Roku where you can access streamsites like Crunchyroll, Hulu, or Netflix. It's a step.
Himeko90

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:

Everyone so far in this thread who is anti-CR has either:

A) Shown enthusiasm for Cool Japan, or
B) Expressed how they'd prefer obtaining and viewing anime

For all you know, the guy you're quoting has shelves worth of anime. So basically, "your comment is dickheaded and lacks any and all forethought."

THIS ^ 10

And I do have shelves worth of Anime (I have at least 30-35) titles. Just because I am hesitant to support a company with a checkered past doesn't mean that I am a leech that doesn't support the industry. People on this site really need to stop making unfounded assumptions about people and worry about what they themselves are doing.

Himeko90 wrote:
So it is safe to assume you've never in your life viewed fansubs? If so, congratulations. If not, and even if you've since stopped, you're effectively the pot calling the kettle black.

Yeah.....the difference is that I didn't get rewarded with cash for my behavior (Crunchyroll did). Not a very valid comparison. Rolling Eyes
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:11 pm Reply with quote
15.5 billion yen is more like 200 million dollars (using the average exchange rate of the past 5 years, corrected for inflation). That's a substantial amount of money.

Oh yeah, the Japanese government is being incompetent in making a TV channel. I think that the best policy for them to promote the country's culture more would be simply to reduce taxes and restrictions on their cultural industries and to open the country more for foreigners, as Japan still is very closed if compared to most western countries.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Himeko90 wrote:
I am hesitant to support a company with a checkered past

Apparently TV Tokyo had fewer scruples than you do. Also I'd assume that the production committees would simply refuse to license their product to CR if they objected that strongly to its past history. By their behavior, I've concluded they don't care and have moved along.

I've subscribed to CR for perhaps three years now and will continue to do so until they have nothing for me to watch. I'm happy with finding a couple of shows to follow each season for my $7/month.
Himeko90

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:43 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Himeko90 wrote:
I am hesitant to support a company with a checkered past

Apparently TV Tokyo had fewer scruples than you do. Also I'd assume that the production committees would simply refuse to license their product to CR if they objected that strongly to its past history. By their behavior, I've concluded they don't care and have moved along.

I've subscribed to CR for perhaps three years now and will continue to do so until they have nothing for me to watch. I'm happy with finding a couple of shows to follow each season for my $7/month.

I really don't care about what position they (and you) have taken on the subject. However, I am sticking with mine and don't feel bad about it (nor do I feel that I need to explain/defend it).
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Himeko90 wrote:

Yeah.....the difference is that I didn't get rewarded with cash for my behavior (Crunchyroll did). Not a very valid comparison. Rolling Eyes

LOL.

So I assume you purchased every series you viewed as a fansub? If not, "Supporting the industry" isn't the same as supporting the efforts of each and every one of those companies and individuals that brought you the anime you viewed.

It isn't as if every purchase you make of anime or merchandise goes into some big pot that gets equally distributed to every company and person that worked on every anime you ever viewed.

Hopefully you at least torrent your anime instead of visiting fansub websites, as otherwise you are really being hypocritical. (Most of those sites are profitable operations, thanks to ads and farming out the video bandwidth to free video streaming sites).

You were "compensated" by not having to pay money out of your pocket to view anime before deciding what to buy.

Sorry, you don't get to play the scrupulous individual here while painting CR as the bad guy.

As for "rewarded with cash", CR didn't become profitable until months after they became legit. As a fansub operation, they were burning cash.
Nuuzen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I only hope it's not a premium channel. Not having something like the Funimation Channel or Anime Network readily available hurts. Sad
Himeko90

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:37 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
So I assume you purchased every series you viewed as a fansub?

Pretty much.

Quote:
It isn't as if every purchase you make of anime or merchandise goes into some big pot that gets equally distributed to every company and person that worked on every anime you ever viewed.

Neither does watching things on CR........

Quote:
You were "compensated" by not having to pay money out of your pocket to view anime before deciding what to buy.

BS

Quote:
As for "rewarded with cash", CR didn't become profitable until months after they became legit. As a fansub operation, they were burning cash.

Whether the money made them profitable or not is irrelevant to this discussion. The reality is that they received money in response to their activities.

Ultimately, like I have already said, I am not changing my opinion on the subject. You are not going to make me feel bad by arguing that I'm a freeloader because I don't use your beloved crunchyroll (despite the fact that I spend hundreds of dollars a year on Anime).
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:56 pm Reply with quote
If you don't like Crunchyroll, why don't you use Hulu? I understand if you live outside its service areas, but otherwise having a grudge against CR doesn't mean you have to fansub and import anime in order to support the industry legally.
Himeko90

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
If you don't like Crunchyroll, why don't you use Hulu? I understand if you live outside its service areas, but otherwise having a grudge against CR doesn't mean you have to fansub and import anime in order to support the industry legally.

1.I live in the U.S. I don't need to import Anime in order to buy it (usually).

2. I'm not opposed to all streaming (don't know how you came to that conclusion), I'm just opposed Crunchyroll and using their services.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4