• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Witch Craft Works (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:02 pm Reply with quote

Witch Craft Works

Genres: action, romance, supernatural
Themes: witches

Plot Summary:
Quote:
Honoka knows his classmate Ayaka is talented in both the pen and the sword, attractive in face and figure, and that everyone at school calls her the Princess. When he gets himself involved in the "Witch of the Tower" incident one day after school, however, he learns she is also a witch sent to protect him. From then on, his ordinary school life is completely turned upside down, as he discovers that most of his classmates are not what they seem.

Episode 1:

Not bad, I loved the style of it so far along with the artwork. Ayaka is obviously like the idol of the school. Action so far is alright I guess. JC Staff is animating this so some of the artwork looked familiar.

Ha, look @ all the jealous kids at the school. Can't be helped I guess. But yeah, this was a decent start imo, looking forward for more! That ED song is also adorable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:13 pm Reply with quote
so this pre-aired recently?
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:04 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
so this pre-aired recently?

Yes, a few hours ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:49 pm Reply with quote
The animation is awesome.
Colors are really vivid and the characters look good.
The story is unusual, but very fun!
Kept me glued to the screen the entire time.
I'm definitely watching this ^^
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote
This might work for my tastes, but I can see the line of people not wanting to stay for the overly used clichés.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Yep everything about this opening episode just screams "UNORIGINAL".

So many cliches in one episode makes my brain hurt. I can't say anything about this episode even kept me slightly entertained. It's all so predictable and unimaginative. Only thing that was decent was that the CGI bunnies actually looked kind of cool in battle.

But other than that i don't really have high hopes for this one. Pity since a couple people i know have been hyped for it. But i honestly can't see why.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But other than that i don't really have high hopes for this one. Pity since a couple people i know have been hyped for it. But i honestly can't see why.

One can assume it is that they are fans of the source material.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
First episode wasn't bad. I like rare shows where the female MC is taller than the male one. I think the only other show I watched with that duo was Lovely Complex. Accel World doesn't count because Haruyuki was basically in chibi form. Also I wonder why she kept calling him a spoiler[princess? Maybe he is the reincarnation of some past princess.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

The feeling I got from this episode was a little like a reverse gender in the one being adored by a legion of girls is a cool tall girl who must now protect guy who is apparently a princess. Or at least a slight blend. I am guessing he is something like a spoiler[reincarnation of a princess].

Lol at a couple things like the cat eared girl's plan A spoiler[being have all her minions run wildly at them, and plan B just run away]. A ridiculously spoiler[prepared wiener] with suggestive dialogue, and her reasoning being down to her choosing spoiler[who to eat with and he does not get a choice]. spoiler[Five mysterious transfer students at once], really pushing the cliché to the edge. One with cat ears, another having a matching eye-patch to her freaky wolf scarf, a katana handle clearly visible in the folds of what should be a kendo sword, one of them witch a scowl on her face, and I think it might be things like being dressed childishly including a frilly socks and a nametag.

The ED was a fun watch.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:51 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
First episode wasn't bad. I like rare shows where the female MC is taller than the male one. I think the only other show I watched with that duo was Lovely Complex. Accel World doesn't count because Haruyuki was basically in chibi form.

I am aware of a couple more. xxxHolic, Negima!, Hanaukyo Maid Team, Photon: The Idiot Adventures, Sora no Otoshimono, Princess Ressurection and Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
lesterf1020 wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
First episode wasn't bad. I like rare shows where the female MC is taller than the male one. I think the only other show I watched with that duo was Lovely Complex. Accel World doesn't count because Haruyuki was basically in chibi form.

I am aware of a couple more. xxxHolic, Negima!, Hanaukyo Maid Team, Photon: The Idiot Adventures, Sora no Otoshimono, Princess Ressurection and Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari.

Funny you should mention that, as I just finished Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari last night and I didn't even realized that. Well to be fair he is taller than half of the female main characters.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:08 pm Reply with quote
well I'm hooked. the bunnies were hilarious, as was that ED
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:07 am Reply with quote
There was also Mamoru-kun ni Megami no Shukufuku wo back in 2006 for short guys and tall girls, but it was never licensed and and probably forgotten. It also had a nice straight shota flair, and WCW reminds me of it somewhat. There's also Kanokon.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:56 am Reply with quote
That was pretty polished looking and had some pretty good music too. If only I could find more to like about the actual show. Rabbits were kinda fun (and I did like the ED). But the characters are painfully boring, the idol worship of the girl is ridiculous and unbelievable and the whole thing is wrapped in a dumb, magical girlfriend scenario. Largely waste of a slick presentation. Wonder if they'll actually do anything with the whole princess reversal thing?
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote
The worship of the girl was incredibly dumb. If a show is going to go that route it has to be funny, yet it was played seriously instead. Really off-putting.

The guy is so generic and pathetic and useless that it makes him completely unlikeable. He's got less personality than Gordon Freeman, and is one of the most obvious male self-insert characters that I've ever seen in anime.

Those rabbits were really out of place, as were the transfer students. Can't anyone tell that one of the girls has cat ears? And what about the girl with a freaking dead wolf around her neck; does no-one question that? How does it get past uniform regulations? And if the heroine really is the daughter of the chairperson then why were the evil witches even allowed to transfer into the school in the first place?

However, the heroine herself is awesome. Calls the guy "Princess", has cool powers, is always calm and non-plussed, wears the pants in the relationship (though the guy is so pathetic he could never wear the pants no matter whom the heroine was). The only thing I wasn't too keen on was her calling him "master". She's too cool to be bowing her head to that muppet of a boy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9