• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crowdsourcing - Anime/Manga/Merch.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
At 31 volumes, that's $24 per volume

Considering that they're all set to be $14 a volume.... not a good deal.... which is why I'd want a smaller one to pledge for, I'm willing to pay a little more for a few volumes to help support the kickstarter and get the manga in the first place, but I can't possibly do $10 extra per volume.

I paid a bit more for Captain Ken (though I also get the bandana, decal, and get the books early) at $35, but that I can afford to blow. Even then, it wasn't $10 more per volume but less than $10 overall for both.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Good news on the Kickstarter, they've added some cheaper book options! Still a little pricey, but I can get behind these at least. I may dive in on the economy orange pack now!

---Pledge $ 50 or more Economy Yellow Pack: e-Hug / e-thank you; Three Eyed One Volume 1; Rainbow Parakeet Volume 1

--- Pledge $ 420 or more Economy Blue Pack: e-Hug / e-thank you; Three Eyed One 13 Volumes; Rainbow Parakeet 7 Volumes; Digital Books Of Wonder 3; Digital Books Of Alabaster; Digital Books Of Birdman Anthology; Digital Books Of Vampires

Estimated delivery: July 2015

--- Pledge $ 110 or more Economy Purple Pack: e-Hug / e-thank you; Wonder Three 3 Volumes; Alabaster 2 Volumes; Digital Books Of Three-Eyed One 13 Volumes; Digital Books Of Rainbow Parakeet 7 Volumes; Digital Books Of Birdman Anthology; Digital Books Of Vampires

--- Pledge $ 125 or more Economy Orange Pack: e-Hug / e-thank you; Birdman Anthology 2 Volumes; Vampires 4 Volumes; Digital Books Of Three-Eyed One 13 Volumes; Digital Books Of Rainbow Parakeet 7 Volumes; Digital Books Of Wonder 3; Digital Books Of Alabaster

--- Pledge $ 520 or more Economy Brown Pack: e-Hug / e-thank you; Three Eyed One 13 Volumes; Rainbow Parakeet 7 Volumes; Wonder Three 3 Volumes; Alabaster 2 Volumes

--- Pledge $ 650 or more UPGRADED Tezuka World Paperback Pack: e-Hug / e-thank you; Three Eyed One 13 Volumes; Rainbow Parakeet 7 Volumes; Wonder Three 3 Volumes; Alabaster 2 Volumes; Birdman Anthology 2 Volumes; Vampires 4 Volumes; Digital Books Of Three-Eyed One 13 Volumes; Digital Books Of Rainbow Parakeet 7 Volumes; Digital Books Of Wonder 3; Digital Books Of Alabaster; Digital Books Of Birdman Anthology; Digital Books Of Vampires

F-Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:06 pm Reply with quote
DMP also posted a video from their president revealing what they should probably have said first: that this Kickstarter is not only to release these 6 titles, but also to make it possible to release all 400 volumes they licensed in the next 6 years alone, ie. 10 times faster than it would normally take.

This makes it, quite literally, the manga Kickstarter of a lifetime.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:09 am Reply with quote
Whew, finally got a chance to pledge! I saw the update, but had to go to work. I pledge $125 for the orange economy pack! Which is physical Vampires and Birdman and digital for the rest. Though I shall eventually own them all in print anyway, but not at $650.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Keiichiro Kimura is trying to use Kickstarter to fund his hand-drawn 5-minute short film "Go! Samurai":

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1287579779/go-samurai-an-animated-short-film-by-keiichiro-kim
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:32 am Reply with quote
Animeigo on BGC:

Quote:
We have checked the final test discs and cleared them for mastering, and the replication data files are currently being uploaded to the replicator. At this point, the approximate schedule looks like this:

10 days to produce check discs and deliver to Wilmington.
1 week for check disc testing.
Released to Production.
7-10 days for disc production.
4-5 days shipping.
3-4 days for packaging assembly.
1-2 days to ship to Wilimington.
Shipping to backers begins.

I will post updates every week or two, and try to remember to tweet (@AnimEigo) when we hit milestones.

Anime Sols on their FB page:

Quote:
Current Sets Status

Hi fans of classic anime!

Sorry about not making more regular updates during these busy months, but progress is being made on the sets still awaiting release.

Black Jack set 2 & Dear Brother set 2 - disks are authored. Dear Brother needs to be checked in Japan, then the data for both sets will be sent to Right Stuf tomorrow.

Creamy Mami set 2 - disks & cases all printed by Right Stuf. The goods have been bar-coded and are ready to be shipped to them as well.

I'll let you all know when Mami is about to be sent out, and as other news becomes available.

Also, the video materials just came in for episodes 4-13 of Dororo, and translation is starting on those, so look forward to more demon-hunting adventures!
lem

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:33 pm Reply with quote
KICKSTARTER wrote:
Dear Backers,

Online sales!!! Please spread the word!
http://timeofeve-shop.com

And, the Rightstuf launched pre-sales today! (this should be good news for folks, especially Canadian residents, with TRSI accounts)

Standard Edition $34.95

Deluxe Edition $59.95

Announcement!!!

We have licensed Time of EVE: Another Act, Kei Mizuichi's light novel based on Yoshiura's story, with original illustrations by Ryusuke Chayama. The book is 100% designed, translated and edited -- except for a few extra pages in the back that we've reserved for Special Thanks to pre-buy supporters.

Pre-buy before November 7 Friday 11:59PM EST for Special Thanks credit in the book!

The backstory!

Throughout the Kickstarter we were reaching out to all of our partners in Japan to license Time of EVE products for international release. For the manga, we were told flat out that Square Enix would absolutely not license to a new partner overseas. For the light novel Another Act we were bounced around international licensing at Shogakukan and Viz Media, and had all but given up, when we got a message from Viz Media, literally on day 28 of the Kickstarter campaign: if we would promise to publish the English edition of the light novel, they would pave the way for a green light from Shogakukan. We knew that working out the contract details would take weeks and would be beyond the scope of the Kickstarter campaign, but we took the plunge, and said yes.

We signed the contract with Shogakukan, commissioned the English translation, and then shelved the project as we dealt the subtitles, dub, packaging, and trying to get the Official Fan Book moving.

In mid-July we had some breathing room, and took our first serious look at the manuscript. Tony Gonzalez, who also translated Yoshiura's "act0.5: SAME" short story in the Bonus Book, had given us a fully immersive and compelling rendition of the novel. He has that special gift of being able to grasp the ideas, narrative development and imagery of the Japanese, and conjure that as a fully realized world that lives and breathes in English.

However, there were points that gave me pause…a certain line would work for the scene, but it didn't feel true to Rikuo. Or tech lingo felt a little too edgy for the everyday texture in Time of EVE. What about the use of gendered pronouns for androids? I was stuck with these doubts, and needed to work them out with someone else. But who?

Each and every one of the backers who helped out with editing the subtitles (across all languages) and Official Fan Book brought a special contribution. You'd be surprised at how little overlap there was in the feedback, and also the intensity of focus that each person brought to the project. However, there was one contributor, Ng Jun Siang, whose obsessions (!) aligned uncannily with the needs of the book, specifically: deliberate choices for every aspect of layout and design, from the typesetting of ellipses and colons to the implications of margin size; the ability to step inside the characters, and identify what feels authentic vs. jarring; and a sense of how to use language to describe Yoshiura's near-future world, from the gadgets to the TV jargon. Plus, it is nice that JS is from Singapore, so that he could highlight phrasing that felt alienating to non-Americans.

So, over a few very intense weeks in late July, JS poured through every word of every line of the manuscript with me, at what I am certain was great personal sacrifice, especially of sleep.

Each word in the book has earned its right to be there.

And, most importantly, we would not have this book without the momentum created by the Kickstarter campaign. So, regardless of whether you pre-buy the book or not, you helped make it happen.

On money

We have tried to be as upfront as possible throughout this production process, and you've shown your generosity by not jeering when things have gotten messy. So, I'm going to go out on a limb and write about money, a subject that is always there, and always touchy.

As some of you have noted, the spirit of a Kickstarter campaign requires that we spend all of the funds raised on the rewards for backers. As we wrote about in the last few updates, shipping has put Pied Piper over budget. And, it actually goes a little bit further than that.

First, Pied Piper has invested roughly $10,000 out of pocked in Time of EVE: Another Act (printer, layout, minimum guarantee to Shogakukan and translation).

Second, when the Kickstarter campaign closed in June 2014, Tom Nagae at Directions and Yoshiura gave me the directive to put 100% of the funds into producing the best possible Blu-ray for fans around the world. In other words, they didn't take any royalties or other compensation for themselves, while both Yoshiura and the staff at Directions (especially associate producer Yuji Abe and producer Kaname Hayashi) put in countless into the project to review the script, subtitles, revise artwork, dig up old files, and liaison with other partners like the voice actor agencies and Aniplex. It was, however, a calculated decision by Tom Nagae and Yoshiura, and myself as well, as we know that we have just 1 shot to make this Blu-ray shine, and to create something that can have value and continue to sell beyond this campaign.

We've produced 3,000 additional Standard Edition Blu-rays (retail $34.95) and 2,500 additional Deluxe Edition sets (retail $59.95). We are printing an additional 800 copies of the Official Fan Book, and we are planning a 3,000 copy print run of Another Act. There are all kinds of expenses involved in selling, but if we can sell half of the Blu-ray stock in the next 3 months, and the rest as long-tail sales over time, we'll be OK. If not, then we spent too much time and money on the project.

As we begin sales, it is like stepping off a cliff, wondering if we will make a safe landing.

So there you have it. Jump!

Ann/Time of EVE^^
Adamanto

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:39 am Reply with quote
Anime Sols has shipped Creamy Mami set 2 and confirmed that Black Jack set 2 and Dear Brother set 2 have been sent to Rightstuf for manifacturing so it seems things are moving along a bit over there.

But where are the Dororo stream subs?
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
From Animeigo's BGC Kickstarter:

Quote:
Today marks the one year anniversary of the end of the kickstarter campaign, so I thought I would post an update on the production process.

All components of the BGC Ultimate edition are in production, and they will soon start arriving at Optical Experts Manufacturing in Charlotte, NC for final assembly and shipping to AnimEigo in Wilmington.

OEM has given us an estimated ship date of December 8th for the Basic sets and December 12th for the Premium sets. On our end, we have prepped everything we can, including assembling all the shipping boxes and arranging with the post office to send a truck to pick up each day's output of packages.

Our goal will be to get the set to as many people as possible in time for Christmas. For US Domestic backers, this should not be a problem, as we are sending 1st Class or Priority Mail and the deadline is December 20th.

For International backers, things get more complicated. The recommended shipping deadline for almost every international backer is December 9th, and shipping from OEM in Charlotte via LTL ("Less than Truck Load", aka "Big piles of stuff on pallets") is usually a single day. So as the current schedule stands, we'll be getting the Basic sets sometime on December 9th and the Premium sets on the 15th (the 12th is a Friday, and we may not be able to get Saturday delivery).

However, as the various components arrive at OEM, we may be able to shave some days from the schedule, and we may also be able to shuffle the assembly order so that we can get a partial shipment of Basic and Premium sets a bit earlier, and thus increase the likelyhood that International Backers will get their sets for the Holidays.

If necessary, I'll drive a truck up to Charlotte (about 4 hours each way) -- for example, if I can pick stuff up on a Friday afternoon and then ship on Saturday instead of waiting until Monday.

As soon as I get any updates on the shipping dates, I'll post them to the AnimEigo twitter feed.
F-Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Adamanto wrote:

I'm obviously very hyped for Dororo. I find it crazy it takes this long just to get our first episode of the batch. And people are obviously waiting for these episodes before pledging for Set 2, seeing as it has only 16 backers so far.

Not that I would recommend waiting: the faster Dororo is all dealt with, the faster we can get the next Tezuka show on the site, hopefully Astro Boy.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Adamanto wrote:
Anime Sols has shipped Creamy Mami set 2 and confirmed that Black Jack set 2 and Dear Brother set 2 have been sent to Rightstuf for manifacturing so it seems things are moving along a bit over there.

I just need to do final checks on eps 4-6, translator's gonna start speeding up on them soon, but he ended up doing a lot of simulcasts this season...
Adamanto

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

I just need to do final checks on eps 4-6, translator's gonna start speeding up on them soon, but he ended up doing a lot of simulcasts this season...

Thanks for the reply. Will episode 4-6 be available once they're completed, or will we have to wait for all 13 episodes to be completed before they get added?

(I've also noticed Gordian has been getting some more pledges lately - that's a good show, give it your money, people!)
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:55 am Reply with quote
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/digitalmanga/publish-osamu-tezukas-ludwig-b-vol1-2

DMP has started a new, more modest Kickstarter for Ludwig B!

As for AnimeSols, I am one waiting for more Dororo to come up on the website before pledging for more so yeah, there's gotta be more than just me on that one. I'd also like some more Black Jack set pledges.
F-Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Composer Nobuyoshi Koshibe passed away. What better way to support his great work than by supporting or watching Temple the Balloonist?
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote
BGC again:
Quote:
Just a quick update: I got an email from OEM that they expect to be shipping the basic sets to us on Dec 10th (Wednesday) and the premium sets on Dec 12th (Friday), with arrival scheduled for Dec 11th and 15th, respectively.

They consider these "worst-case" dates and hope to beat them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 30