• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crowdsourcing - Anime/Manga/Merch.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
F-Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Adamanto: Dororo's probably the only Tezuka show which has a chance, unless they bring over the Japanese edition of the 2003 Astro Boy.

Plenty of other stuff have a chance. The Black Jack OVAs which are already coming soon, the 80's Astro Boy (could even be on Blu-ray cause it is in Japan), the Japanese versions of the original Astro Boy, Kimba and Princess Knight, the 1989 Kimba, the brand new Little Astro Boy TV show, and I'm probably forgetting some (I assume the museum shorts are never coming).

I wish people would hurry up with funding Dororo so we could get all of these other things faster.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
F-Man wrote:
The Black Jack OVAs which are already coming soon...

They're in no hurry to get the TV series finished (even the slow once-a-month schedule quickly collapsed down to no updates) so I'm not so sure a drive for the OVAs is coming soon.
F-Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
F-Man wrote:
The Black Jack OVAs which are already coming soon...

They're in no hurry to get the TV series finished (even the slow once-a-month schedule quickly collapsed down to no updates) so I'm not so sure a drive for the OVAs is coming soon.

For what it's worth it's been stated more than once that the OVAs crowdfunder would run alongside the ones for the TV sets, so the slow state of the TV series shouldn't matter.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:53 am Reply with quote
F-Man: I said shows, not OAVs. If we're talking those, then Phoenix also has a chance. As for the 80s Astro Boy, I have a feeling the nostalgia value isn't as high for it as the 60s version, even though it's more recent. Too much under the radar when it came out.

Quote:
the Japanese versions of the original Astro Boy, Kimba and Princess Knight, the 1989 Kimba,

I doubt the demand is that high for any of those, or Right Stuf would've gotten them personally by now.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I was genuinely surprised at how much I liked Dororo. Sure, I'd read the manga, and played the PS2 game (which was fun, though platforming was hell and the voice acting was god-awful, at least there wasn't much of the platforming, but so many awesome bosses! Even the palette swaps at least had different attacks).
But I'd never really liked any of the previous black & white anime I'd seen before. 1960s Astro was way too choppy, Gigantor annoyed the hell out of me too, but Dororo, well first of all, it's presented as a much more mature story so maybe that helped. But it also seems like it was made right at the border of color anime coming out so it's animated much much better than 60s Astro or Gigantor were. It's also sub and I think that helps as anime dubbing during the 60s was.... less than stellar if some of these shows were anything to go by. I supposed if you had nostalgia for them...
I'm already familiar with Dororo's story, it's solid, and it seems from what I've seen that it's being told really well so all is good with me!

I've tried one episode of all the new series, but Dororo was the only one I wanted to pledge for. Wonder 3 wasn't anywhere near as good as Dororo and I can't say the Tatsunoko children's shows have really caught my eye at all.

Any idea when I'm getting my Dear, Brother set 2? I really wants it! And more Black Jack TV set pledges (I pledged for 2 and threw 1 on there as extra, so I'm still waiting for both, dammit!) I really want more sets to pledge for in general. I like the idea of testing the waters first, but now I'm ready to fork over more money for a physical Dororo release.
Adamanto

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
But it also seems like it was made right at the border of color anime coming out so it's animated much much better than 60s Astro or Gigantor were.

It was the last anime to ever be made in B/W, and it was done for budget reasons, not because it was the standard at the time. The short Dororo TV movie that predated the TV series and was made to sell TV stations on the show was in color.

classicalzawa wrote:

Any idea when I'm getting my Dear, Brother set 2? I really wants it! And more Black Jack TV set pledges (I pledged for 2 and threw 1 on there as extra, so I'm still waiting for both, dammit!) I really want more sets to pledge for in general. I like the idea of testing the waters first, but now I'm ready to fork over more money for a physical Dororo release.

Anime Sols made a tweet about Black Jack set 2 a couple days ago where they tossed around a "Tuesday" guess for its shipping date, so there's that.
F-Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Adamanto wrote:
Anime Sols made a tweet about Black Jack set 2 a couple days ago where they tossed around a "Tuesday" guess for its shipping date, so there's that.

Tuesday for notifying Right Stuf that the DVDs are ready to be pressed. Not the shipping date.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Dunno if it qualifies as "anime", but since Hiroshi Shimizu will be involved on the animation side in this mostly OEL / OFL work, and writing a doujinshi as a reward, and uses PLAID for the soundtrack (Tekkonkinkreet), I'd thought I'd mentioned this hyper-stylized futuristic dystopia dance-themed show:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2088672139/urbance
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Woohoo! DMP just posted something pretty big for us Tezuka fans!

Quote:
The collective ‪#‎Tezuka‬ Update Teasers from Twitter:
- Project Code BBK = Big Bang Kickstarter! Prep ya funds & be ready! It's a BIG one, ya won't be prepared enough.
- 3 goals total 2 are stretch goals. 50+ possible rewards (includes limited edition goods) w/ 20+ tiers to pick from
- Kickstarter is for 6 Tezuka Series = Grand total of 31 vols.
Initial Goal: Publishing 3-eyed one + Rainbow Parakeet.
1st Stretch Goal: Publishing Wonder 3 + Alabaster
2nd Stretch Goal: TBA on DMP Twitter on Oct. 19 @10am PST

The only question is: How much money will I be giving them? And oh man! They got the two longer series and want to do W3 and Alabaster?! Awesomeness!!

Their Twitter from yesterday says they hope to launch it next week or the following
F-Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:16 pm Reply with quote
So Wonder 3's anime AND manga will be crowdfunded at the same time from two different sources. Hopefully this creates some sort of accidental cross-promotion.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm just curious how many volumes each of these will come out in. DMP, and pretty much anyone else, do Tezuka in omnibus format now after all.

Three-Eyed One was originally 13 volumes, so maybe 5 or 6?
Rainbow Parakeet is 7, so 3 or 4?
Wonder 3 is 3, so probably 1 or 2, I'm betting 2 because, for whatever reason, the kids series tend to get split into two while the adult series tend to get shoved into one. For example, Vertical split Princess Knight's 3 into two volumes, but put all of Ayako together. Sure, it's a different company, but DMP put all of Swallowing the Earth together but split Triton.
Alabaster is 3 and I'm betting one glorious single volume for the reasons stated above.

I can't wait to see what else they might get! Would they please just get Jungle Emperor already? So many other countries have it, why not us?! What else does France have that we need....Crater (I think we're all convinced by now we're not getting that damn book), Castle of Dawn, Stand Up Humanity, Birdman Anthology, Don Dracula, Gringo, Dove Fly Up to Heaven, Jiletta from Upside Down, Record of Fusuke, IL, Futureman Kaos, Ludwig B, Midnight, Norman, Vampires, some other random stuff. Of that list, I'd really want to see Creater (duh, I forked money for it(, Don Dracula, Birdman Anthology, IL, Futureman Kaos and Vampires. But with a wish list that long, it's hard to be disappointed by any announcement, right?
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Tezuka Kickstarter is LIVE!

I'm not sure what to pledge at because the cheapest option with any physical books is pretty high and I'm not as interested in the goods. For people wanting exclusive goodies, there's some pretty cool Tezuka stuff they have up. but I really wish there were like, a $30 option for just books 1 of each Rainbow Parakeet and Three-Eyed One.

On the plus side, since I've opened the window like 20 minutes ago, it's already gone up a good $2000

Oh and they also plan to release all of these manga by late summer 2015, insane!
Wooga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:19 pm Reply with quote
As much as I want Tezuka manga, I think they are asking too much. $800 for the base physical sets, that's more than a lot of people can pay up all at once...
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Seems they've added a "just the books" tier at $750. That's still a lot though, I wish they could have smaller book tiers too, like "just series A" or B-F or lots of other combos. I'll eventually get them all, but I will get them all at a hell of a lower price than $750. If I could pledge for just Vampires, that would be ideal for me (or Alabaster if it doesn't look like they'll hit the second goal), that way, I still contribute directly and get a book.
Wooga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:02 pm Reply with quote
At 31 volumes, that's $24 per volume
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 30