• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crowdsourcing - Anime/Manga/Merch.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Riding Bean again. Older update first. Pics of the color artwork and keychains here. Also, this:
Quote:
Over the next week or two I will be emailing everyone an "account status update" so you can check your address and the "name on disc" (which will also appear in a poster in an insert in the amaray). You can message or email me ([email protected]) with any changes. You can use a pseudonym, nickname, etc. as your "name on disc".

Newer update here:

Quote:
Vital Statistics

Over the last few days I have sent account status updates to everyone so you can check your "name on disc" and mailing address information. If you haven't gotten the email, check your spambox! Also, if you sent in a correction more than 24 hours ago and haven't gotten a confirmation of the change, contact me so I can double-check.

Packaging Decisions

We are currently working through concepts for the Premium box and would like your advice....

Buff Model

We have obtained a high-resolution 3D scan of the Buff sculpt! Project backer Mark Bell has volunteered to clean it up, and then we are going to use it as the basis for making molds for the model kit. OnTheLamb thinks we can cast the main body in just one or two parts (wheels will be made separately) so assembly should literally be a snap.

...Here is a link to a rough layout of the all-graphics artbook; this hasn't been made pretty yet, but I'd like your feedback (both on the idea, and anything extra you think should be included): https://www.dropbox.com/s/8fezrcmpbb2rqih/RB-Artbook-Rough.pdf?dl=0

Also, from Woodhead's Twitter:
Quote:
Yes @drgonzo369 you can upgrade your order here: http://www.animeigo.com/bean — we generally let people do this until we lock down for shipping.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Just out of curiosity - has anybody received their physical copy of Mai Mai Miracle yet?
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Just out of curiosity - has anybody received their physical copy of Mai Mai Miracle yet?

I have. Watched it today in fact. They sent out an update today saying international folk should have theirs in the next few days.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that probably means it will be delivered to my old office during the Christmas break. I hope that doesn't cause any glitches in actually getting my copy.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping maybe to get my copy by Xmas, but it looks like it'll be after. I also am getting the artbook but I think that is shipping separately later.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Project update 48 says:

"So the Collector's Editions and the Standard Amaray Editions went out right before I disappeared for a couple weeks. Most of you should have received these by now - if you haven't by the holiday period, please message me with details and I'll look into it as soon as I get back."

Project update 47 says:

"Rest of the World backers: expect to receive your copies in 5-8 working days (possibly 10 depending on where you are in the world). "

So I guess it's been 14 days since update 47 I haven't gotten it and I'm on the east coast. Yeap, just what I expected from this project. Because of holiday best I can now expect is Tuesday. Of course that's if it hasn't been lost in mail and rerouted to Siberia or worst it never shipped for some strange reason.

Joy.
Rolling Eyes
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:24 am Reply with quote
You might know. The only time the address I'm having Mai Mai Miracle sent to is closed is during the Christmas holiday season and that's probably when delivery will be attempted. If Canada Post is delivering that's not a problem because the office has a hold on all mail while it's closed. But if it is going to be delivered by Fedex, for example, I'm hoping if they try during closure they will put a notice on the front door and I'll have to go pick it up somewhere. My big fear, and it's probably unlikely, is that the delivery person will just prop the package up against the front door where anybody could see and take it. As I say, I don't think anybody would be that stupid, but I have had an Amazon package propped up against my apartment unit's front door when I wasn't around to accept delivery. That's when I started having stuff sent to the office.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I got my copy of Mai Mai Miracle today and was pleasantly surprised to find it included the artbook. I was rushing out the door so didn't have time to really peruse it but I flipped through it and it looks good and it is one solid, heavy hardcover book. This is also the first time I've gotten something with a sleeve over a chipboard box. It was a little hard getting the discs and booklet out as the box is real tight but otherwise I have to say I am very satisfied with the presentation. Now I need to watch the movie.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Got my Mai Mai Miracle yesterday also. So I guess that was 19-20 days for going across Atlantic to here on the East Coast? Maybe they sent it in the opposite direction across Asia and then the Pacific? Rolling Eyes

Having voiced my criticism, I do hope they reconsider and stay in the Kickstarter business.

Anyways, that said the packaging looks really nice. I'm very pleased with how it looks and I can't wait to sit down and watch it. I'm looking forward to seeing how the dub came out.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Has the company behind the Mai Mai Miracle disavowed using Kickstarter in the future? I don't blame them. I doubt this KS campaign netted them much in the way of profit and certainly brought them massive headaches. They got unlucky in that the people on the Japanese side of the equation who needed to give approval on things were insanely slow. Not the fault of the UK company, but they are the ones who had to deal with customer dissatisfaction.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Has the company behind the Mai Mai Miracle disavowed using Kickstarter in the future? I don't blame them. I doubt this KS campaign netted them much in the way of profit and certainly brought them massive headaches.
I can't remember now where I saw it, but I did see at one point them saying that they didn't see themselves doing Kickstarter in the foreseeable future. It doesn't mean they wont change their mind if the right project comes along. It also might be that they are extremely busy and don't have time or staff for a Kickstarter commitment. On the other hand, its possible that I'm not remembering correctly and dementia is finally setting in.

Quote:
They got unlucky in that the people on the Japanese side of the equation who needed to give approval on things were insanely slow. Not the fault of the UK company, but they are the ones who had to deal with customer dissatisfaction.
It wasn't just that. There will be people on the internet that will always blow up and there will be some people you can't make happy no matter what you do. But it went beyond that because they communicated poorly to the backers and they didn't know how to keep enthusiasm going. Look at the Time of Eve Kickstarter and the updates that made fans feel part of the process were key to overall satisfaction. All The Anime was weak at that and instead of rallying people to their side they turned people off.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I agree that they could have communicated better, for sure. But as I say, the main problem was the enormous delay in getting the product to backers and that can be laid at the feet of the Japanese. In fact, they dragged their feet so much that a JAPANESE release WITH the English dub paid for by KS backers got released first. That was just scummy behaviour on the part of the Japanese.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:23 pm Reply with quote
This is all purely speculation. And I hate to badmouth 'em, now, but I have a really bad feeling about Digital Manga's ability to keep up with demand on those Kickstarters. See, if they're based in hellay, like most businesses around here, then there's a good chance they're running on a skeleton crew. That means that, while they might have enough translators and editors on-board, they don't necessarily have enough people to put the books together, package them, and the merch. It would also explain why they haven't updated since those KS'es ended, and why even their hentai FB page is down. That is, they took on more orders than they could handle. Now, this doesn't mean they're gonna run off with your money like the Crater people did. But they might be scrambling for a while to find extra hands... Confused
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:04 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Oh, I agree that they could have communicated better, for sure. But as I say, the main problem was the enormous delay in getting the product to backers and that can be laid at the feet of the Japanese. In fact, they dragged their feet so much that a JAPANESE release WITH the English dub paid for by KS backers got released first. That was just scummy behaviour on the part of the Japanese.

Andrew has noted and they've taken on board that people do appreciate messages saying "no new updates but we haven't forgotten about you". I hope they do more Kickstarters in the future too as they're easily the best UK anime distributor and for niche things it's a great idea.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote
Riding Bean Kickstarter again...

Quote:
The big news is that Mr. Sonoda has told us he will be getting us the manga artwork in the near future. This means we will soon be able to proceed into the production phase.

Name Checks

I would like to do a final check of the names that will appear on the disc and the package insert. Here is the current version (as of 2017-01-01) of the names video; please take a moment to check it and make sure that (a) you appear in if if you wanted to, (b) you are in the correct section, and (c) that your name is spelled and presented in the way you prefer.

The deadline for changes is 6 AM on Monday, January 16th. Email any corrections to me at [email protected].

I would appreciate it if you'd let your friends know that if they are considering signing up for the set, they need to do so before the deadline or they won't appear on the disc or in the insert -- speaking of that, here's a link to the PDF of the insert with all the names on it (and the poster!)

Also, via @Chrisbeveridge [He still needs to raise money for his medical bills on GoFundMe, BTW!] and @Animeigo:
Quote:
Wow… only about 100 BGC Ultimate Edition Premium Sets left… you snooze, you lose...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 30