• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Magical Warfare (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote

Magical Warfare

Genres: action, magic, romance
Plot Summary: Takeshi Nanase is an ordinary high school boy who has a somewhat dark past. Due to certain circumstances, he formed a "fake" couple with his childhood friend Kurumi Isoshima, but otherwise, he lives a normal life. However, one day, he comes across a girl named Mui Aiba, in a uniform he has never seen before, collapsed on the school campus. This encounters changes Takeshi's destiny completely. Mui tells Takeshi that she is a magician, and she apologizes, for she turned Takeshi into a magician, too. What Takeshi once knew as one world is actually two—the world where magicians live and the world where humans live.

Magicians and warfare. Now this caught my attention. I haven't read the LN yet but I did check out both the LN and anime preview. The plot sounds somewhat generic but I think I can deal with it. This probably one of my most anticipated series along with Space Dandy and Chuu2. That and the fact that the most of the characters seems to be in some type of feud furthers my interest. Should be fun.

Here's the PV: http://youtube.com./watch?v=cTg8bgMga5U
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:37 pm Reply with quote

Genres: Action, Fantasy, Magic

Plot Summary:

In this modern magic action story, Takeshi Nanase is an ordinary high school boy who has a somewhat dark past. Due to certain circumstances, he formed a "fake" couple with his childhood friend Kurumi Isoshima, but otherwise, he lives a normal life. However, one day, he comes across a girl named Mui Aiba, in a uniform he has never seen before, collapsed on the school campus. This encounters changes Takeshi's destiny completely. Mui tells Takeshi that she is a magician, and she apologizes, for she turned Takeshi into a magician, too. What Takeshi once knew as one world is actually two—the world where magicians live and the world where humans live.

Episode 1:

Pretty good opening episode in my opinion. Explains the laws of the world in a simple and understandable fashion. Sporting some great music and beautiful animation. Have high hopes for this one.

Edit: Oops just noticed there was already a thread for this. Lock it up if needed.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Lol at the power to make your boobs bigger. How did she know the guy was calling her by her first name?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Is that Saber and Archer there? Fate/High School Hi-jinxes?

Ah, well, another "ordinary" high school boy living a "normal" life. I'm sure it will be interesting... for someone other than me.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm his life didn't seem that ordinary with his mom looking like she was about to kill him and his brother acting like a zombie.

Quote:
How did she know the guy was calling her by her first name?

How common is Miu as a surname?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode felt kinda rushed...

I'm not a fan of either the protagonist or Miu yet. spoiler[I want to know more about them obviously especially since they are magicians. Also, some of the other characters have powers and I want to know its origins.]

Some of the dialogues felt cheesy but I liked the OP song and OST. Artwork seems average and generic so I'll have to get used to that. I'll see how far this goes.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

Quote:
How did she know the guy was calling her by her first name?

How common is Miu as a surname?

Well we are talking about Japan. I have seen same names used as first names and as last names. I know someone whose last name is the same as my first name lol.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
The problem with this first episode is that it is almost completely focused on world set up with bare minimum amount of character set up.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:59 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
The problem with this first episode is that it is almost completely focused on world set up with bare minimum amount of character set up.

I actually like it better this way. The first episode gets the main details of the world out of the way so we don't have to worry about it showing up later. We know how things work so all that's left is character development, story and potential twists. There are some shows that hide the details of how a world works but then when it's convenient for the story reveal them which i've allows kind of hated.
Bango

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:26 am Reply with quote
I prefer it more half-and-half, usually broken over the first 2 eps. So you get some character and some world development over a 2ep span.

My feelings on the episode are in running point form again. It seems to be a trend with me this season.

-Is it just me or did the OP have very little animation in it? Or was it that the song was so much more fast-paced than what was on screen?

-Dude doesn't even bat an eye when she spoiler[pulls a freakin gun on him]. At least have some valid reaction! He's already proven he's not an emotionless robot or all-accepting zen master.

-Wait, what the heck was wrong with Mui after she nods twice when they're both sitting on the floor (Around 6:30). It's like her cel (if it's even called that anymore) shifts. Oh, man I'll be distracted all episode looking for more stuff like that.

-So Takeshi's friend sees a guy running with a giant sword yet he's surprised at some spoiler[heroine addict? I suppose it makes sense because she's confronting him with the syringe and the sword guy was running away.]

-Well... it's a good thing glasses guy spoiler[has a really short memory and his soul spontaneously combusted. I guess the entire meaning of his existance was to show the consequences of magic. Sucks to be him.]

-I was actually about to turn it off and call it dropped when spoiler[magical breast expansion happens. Who was it that said a supremely bad writer will know exactly when the viewer has had enough and will bait them to stay with fanservice?] Well, congrats, Magical Warfare. You bought yourself an extra 5 minutes of my attention. Now explain.

-The show totally doesn't deserve that awesome ending.

spoiler[-So we're going to the magic academy next (which features a building that looks almost exactly like one in my home city. YAY!) But didn't the "can't use magic directly on other mages" rule only apply to the muggle world? So the one cool angle the show was working is going away next episode? There's no little yellow face icon to convey this emotion I'm feeling right now.]

It's actually kind of a shame because, while I don't care for her personality I really like Mui's design. The rare slender body without being an outright loli or oppailoli is a nice change from the norm, especially considering her generic overly violent reactions at the start.

I'll give it another episode. Currently worried that going to the school will somehow cause it to turn into a training/tournament thing.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:47 am Reply with quote
You know, there are actually a few interesting things lurking around this show. The prospect of a protagonist with a messed up home life is a fresh and potentially interesting premise. In general too the atmosphere is strong and appropriately moody. And the action scenes are pretty solid and the ruined world looks pretty sweet (although I'm sorry to say that if the preview is to believed, it will just result in them going to a stupid "magic academy" instead of something interesting). The art design falls somewhere in the middle. It's almost painfully derivative of the Fate universe. From the character designs to the big spinning magical glyphs. It could not be more obvious. Then again, I actually do like the Fate look so its not entirely a bad thing. But a lot of other parts were just brutal. The characters are all painfully cliche and in the case of the tsundere girl, fantastically annoying. During the scene where she falls off the bed and inexplicably ends up kissing him, I began contemplating throwing either my TV, myself or maybe both out an eighth story window. And then, later, when in the middle of the big action scene the girl suddenly used magic to make her boobs bigger for no apparent reason, I began to contemplate the possibility of throwing the entire planet into the sun. And, although it doesn't compare to inflataboobs, it's pretty absurd how not only boring MC-sama but also his two friends for some reason suddenly manifest magic powers. Like, she alluded to somehow accidentally turning him into a magician but what about them? They weren't even there!
Bango

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:43 am Reply with quote
I'd assume something to do with needle girl for the fire guy and the girlfriend had some item that was covered in pixie dust. I don't remember what it was or if she had it before and I can't check right now. I also wanted to check if zombie brother or whatever appeared in the intro like he had a major role.

I'd like the show to play with the ruined world (that did look cool), girlfriend/Mui drama (in a non-annoying way) and the main character's home life but I'm not sure anything more than his home life will come into it for very long.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:53 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
You know, there are actually a few interesting things lurking around this show. The prospect of a protagonist with a messed up home life is a fresh and potentially interesting premise. In general too the atmosphere is strong and appropriately moody. And the action scenes are pretty solid and the ruined world looks pretty sweet (although I'm sorry to say that if the preview is to believed, it will just result in them going to a stupid "magic academy" instead of something interesting). The art design falls somewhere in the middle. It's almost painfully derivative of the Fate universe. From the character designs to the big spinning magical glyphs. It could not be more obvious. Then again, I actually do like the Fate look so its not entirely a bad thing. But a lot of other parts were just brutal. The characters are all painfully cliche and in the case of the tsundere girl, fantastically annoying. During the scene where she falls off the bed and inexplicably ends up kissing him, I began contemplating throwing either my TV, myself or maybe both out an eighth story window. And then, later, when in the middle of the big action scene the girl suddenly used magic to make her boobs bigger for no apparent reason, I began to contemplate the possibility of throwing the entire planet into the sun. And, although it doesn't compare to inflataboobs, it's pretty absurd how not only boring MC-sama but also his two friends for some reason suddenly manifest magic powers. Like, she alluded to somehow accidentally turning him into a magician but what about them? They weren't even there!

I think you missed a few things. Mui isn't the only magician here. Her brother and the other guys from her world are magicians too. The rule is that if you use magic against or near a normal human they become a magician (makes total sense!). The girl that was part of the group targeting Mui attacked Kazumi with magic (it wasn't shown but it can be implied that she did since we saw magic circles forming around her before the scene cut away) so he became a magician.

The guy with the glasses attacked both Mui and Kurumi with magical insects. Mui blocked most of the attack but Kurumi ended up getting nicked by one of the bees which is why she gained magical power. Thus the absurd breast expansion is justified Very Happy
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

So main guy actually has a girlfriend in the beginning, please don't break them up so he will get with Mui aka Natsuki (magic guns). And he won't be alone as he is thrown into the deep end of the magic world. The guy seemed a bit too unfazed, but I do want to see more.

And what other uses other than making her breasts bigger will her power allow.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:23 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
I think you missed a few things. Mui isn't the only magician here. Her brother and the other guys from her world are magicians too.

Well I didn't miss that. But I you're right. I don't remember the bit where using magic on someone makes them a magician. Although maybe they did say that. It seems possible my brain simply rejected that information when it deemed it too stupid to be true. But yeah, accepting your (or apparently the show's) dubious premise, I guess that part does make sense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7