• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: MPD-Psycho Licensed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:29 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I don't really get Dark Horse. They have problems picking up titles like Gantz, but they'd license an obscure manga, just because of the Miike connection?

The way I hear it, they didn't get Gantz because too many people were after it at the same time.

One problem, though..."Mike Gombos, Japanese Licensing Manager at Dark Horse, called MPD-Psycho "the gorriest manga you'll ever read,""

Lies. It doesn't come close to Gantz, Battle Royale, Berserk, and (mainly) Koroshiya Ichi. It's incredibly gruesome, but it's not as "bad" as those four.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
barbapapa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:11 pm Reply with quote
coolerimmortal wrote:
Lies. It doesn't come close to Gantz, Battle Royale, Berserk, and (mainly) Koroshiya Ichi. It's incredibly gruesome, but it's not as "bad" as those four.

While it's true its definitely not the goriest. The way the violence in MPD Psycho is portrayed is the only one of those series that could actually make me physically disgusted.

Oh, and the reason they cant get to Gantz is probably because Viz wont let them. Since its Shueisha property.
jboncha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:17 pm Reply with quote
This is GREAT news.
This is one of my fave series and I was beginning to think that it might never get licensed.

J B
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:36 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I don't really get Dark Horse. They have problems picking up titles like Gantz, but they'd license an obscure manga, just because of the Miike connection?

They didn't pick up Gantz because Shueisha wanted too much money. They've always been stingy licencing stuff to non-Viz companies, and the disapointing sales of TenTen probobly haven't helped things.
Monumension

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Nice. Read some of it a while ago. Didn't have the time to finish it back then, but this title deserves attention.

There have been plans for a release of The World Is Mine? Interesting.
barbapapa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Monumension wrote:
There have been plans for a release of The World Is Mine? Interesting.

Have there? First I ever hear about it.
Monumension

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure, I just got the impression from some of the other messages in this thread. I'm sorry if it was a misunderstanding from my side.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:44 am Reply with quote
That is awesome news. I keep meaning to check out that series and I love Dark Horse. Another Omanga / Band of the Hawks manga gets liscened. Awesome. I am glad to see someone picks up seinen manga (titles targeted at an older male audience). I LOVE Dark Horse!

Anne Freaks. Blame!. Now MPD Psycho. Three titles I first learned about from the same scanlators. I guess Berserk was by them too back in the day. Of course, Anne Freaks got picked up by ADV and Blame! by Tokyopop. Gotta give them credit too. Though Dark Horse has the most seien titles of any publisher I can think of. Though Viz is doing Golgo 13 and Monster.

Yes! I am glad to hear others mention stuff like Humunculus and Fressia. Nice to hear an audience is there for these books.

I can only hope someone eventually distributes other stuff like Freesia, GANTZ, Alive, SkyHigh, or Homunculus. Mature and sometimes just plain distubing titles that I really like. Gantz has an anime. Alive and SkyHigh (same author) both have films released in the US.

I sure hope this shows a decent market for seinen titles in the US. I for one and more than happy to support the market for them here. I want these titles off my hard drive and on my bookshelf.

Actually when a friend went to Japan he picked me up Freesia vol. 1 and the one volume Alive because I wasn'tn holding my breath on them getting picked up. I also bought vol.1 of Blame! in Japanese a while ago. Now, I'm slightly more hopeful about seinen titles like them getting picked up. Slightly.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:49 am Reply with quote
barbapapa wrote:
Oh, and the reason they can't get to Gantz is probably because Viz wont let them. Since its Shueisha property.

Oooo. Very good point. I keep forgetting Viz's ties with Shueisha. It's one I don't think many realized and I know I need to remember.

Though I would phrase it more to that Shueisha won't let them get Gantz because of Viz.

Wait, damn. Someone already beat me to the point.

Kagemusha wrote:
They didn't pick up Gantz because Shueisha wanted too much money. They've always been stingy licencing stuff to non-Viz companies, and the disapointing sales of TenTen probobly haven't helped things.

S---t. There's also the point that Tenjo Tenge was a pretty mature manga, not sure if it was seinen or just older teen, but that belonged more with shirnk wrapped R to X rated stuff like Hellsing and Berserk then the PG-13 crowd CMX stupidly tried for.
fuchikoma

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:46 pm Reply with quote
This is some awesome manga - I've read around 9 tankoubon of it. Mark my words though, even if it's Dark Horse, no matter who they market it to, this one will be edited AND still surrounded by controversy.

...I just hope they don't target it at the 8-10 crowd and turn it into Detective Conan...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2