• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nobunagun (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:27 pm Reply with quote
You know, if this show gets a second season I would be shocked if Kaoru didn't eventually turn out to be an E-Gene holder too, probably for Florence Nightingale just like Sio mentioned. The problem right now (and the reason I'm glad they seem to be keeping her and Sio as just friends and focusing more on Jack as a love interest) is that it's rather difficult to keep her involved regularly when the action is predominantly centered all around the world or out in the middle of the ocean. You basically have to find an excuse to bring things back to Japan, which you can do, but only once in a while.

Also, add me to the list of people who love that the enemies actually act in a smart, tactical way. It's a lot more fun and gives the show more of a feeling that we're actually building to something even through this string of mostly one off episodes. Although speaking of that, they definitely seem to be building to something for the final few episodes. Which is great. The first few episodes were really strong and the middle ones have been okay. But there was a definite step down during the mid portion of this show. Seems like they're picking back up now as we head into the conclusion.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about other Symphogear fans, but I was starting to think about the similarities between the two shows in the recent episode. Sio should try singing while fighting.
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:35 am Reply with quote
I thought that too. Especially along the lines of G where it seems there's an ever-present enemy threat. The enemy does not rest. EVER. Just swap the singing for Sio's danging.

Oh, god. I just pictured the Symphogear girls in concert with the Nobunagun crew as backup dancers. And oddly enough with the Nobunagun clothes they actually look better as dancers than singers.

I'm sure somebody will Miku Miku Dance that eventually. Everything gets MDD'd. I saw a Mad Father one for god sake.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Well I don't know if we've ever heard the alien rabbit name, but from now on it's pedorabbit.

Man this show gets so much better when Shio actually grow a pair, hopefully it'll stick around this time.

The way jack was talking about his e-gene holder… makes me think he's going to try and kill Shio eventually, that would be glorious!
Bango

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I liked the pace of this ep. It had a real "get stuff done" feel for an episode where they didn't actually "get stuff done". Well, the planning is done and that's important.

So the commander is really, really spoiler[old but was in stasis for several periods], which I think is fairly cool. spoiler[She was cute when she was younger too]. I like that they got into her background and motivations. It's far too often that they skip over the commander.

For me, spoiler[Sio one-upping Vidocq] was a serious high point. I was on the fence on if he was actually plotting something evil but I've kind of just simmered it down to the possibility that he's just an arrogant jerkward. spoiler[Still though, he accepted her input, which gave him a few brownie points. Also I like how the suits were all bickering over what to do]. IMO it gave a very realistic look at the fragility of command structures during crisis, something I'm pretty familiar with.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:47 am Reply with quote
Please tell me that I wasn't the only one that chuckled when I heard that their ships were called Ellen Ripley and Johnny Rico Very Happy

meiam wrote:
Well I don't know if we've ever heard the alien rabbit name, but from now on it's pedorabbit.

I don't recall them ever mentioning his name, but apparently his name is Dogoo.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:11 am Reply with quote
Good episode, one of the best ones thus far. Got the commander's backstory and some actual intelligent planning.

I loved the Starship Troopers and Alien references. Plus there was this awesome line of dialogue:

Mate, I can tell you right now; its tentacle strength is over 9000.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Ortensia1980 wrote:
Please tell me that I wasn't the only one that chuckled when I heard that their ships were called Ellen Ripley and Johnny Rico Very Happy

Does my current avatar of a Xenomorph in a serafuku not heavily imply my strong interest in Alien? Although sadly I was not able to remember who Johnny Rico was, I should hang my head in shame and make myself watch Starship Troopers again.

Few things are more exciting in this shown than Shio getting her Nobuna on. Her spoiler[shaming Vidocq over seeing the actual threat and having an effective plan], was glorious. The other E-Gene holders seem to be a little angry spoiler[at Shio's plan], but it beats spoiler[kamikaze].
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:50 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Although sadly I was not able to remember who Johnny Rico was, I should hang my head in shame and make myself watch Starship Troopers again.

"Watch"? Surely you mean "read". The book was simply amazing, but those movies are terrible and insulting.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:14 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Although sadly I was not able to remember who Johnny Rico was, I should hang my head in shame and make myself watch Starship Troopers again.

"Watch"? Surely you mean "read". The book was simply amazing, but those movies are terrible and insulting.

Yeah, yeah, I know. But I doubt I have the patience lately to do so.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:40 am Reply with quote
Loved the episode. I was already curious about Saint-Germaine, but no I really want to know what's up with that guy. Also Jack and Sio spoiler[getting in touch with their E-genes was super cool.]

On an unrelated note, I didn't notice before, but now that we have two Nobunaga shows airing simultaneously I've noticed a pair of common ground between the Fool's and GUN's Nobunaga:
-The use of the phrase "It's inevitable/it was inevitable" It's also the exact same phrasing in Japanese "zehi mo nashi " [sp?]
-Referring to Hideyoshi as "Saru" (monkey). The latter is very common in the Fool, but this episode of GUNspoiler[ featured Nobunaga's memories and he calls that name too]

Is there some sort of historical record regarding any of this or it's just a very weird coincidence?
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:04 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Is there some sort of historical record regarding any of this or it's just a very weird coincidence?

Regarding the "monkey" nickname, the real Toyotomi Hideyoshi was called that by his allies and enemies alike. According to Wikipedia:

Toyotomi Hideyoshi had been given the nickname Kozaru, meaning "little monkey", from his lord Oda Nobunaga because his facial features and skinny form resembled that of a monkey. He was also known as the "bald rat."

Hideyoshi rose up from being a peasant - the son of a lowly footsoldier - to becoming the de facto ruler of Japan and the second of the three great unifiers. His conquests ended the Sengoku (AKA "Warring States") period, and his reign shaped and solidified Japanese artistic values and social structures for centuries to come.
born2die

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:58 am Reply with quote
Bango wrote:
IMO it gave a very realistic look at the fragility of command structures during crisis, something I'm pretty familiar with.

Completely right. It killed him that he had to give that up to her, but he did what was right in the end.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote
Me during the first 99% of this episode "Man this is great, glad I stick trough the boring mid part of this show for this, these last couple of episode are gonna be awesome if they keep going like that"

Me during the last 1% "Oh FFS!"

It's like anime has it's own version of rule 34.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Oh Japan, you and your tentacle rape.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12