• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Noragami + Aragoto (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:07 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

And when Yato often shows up he is doing something that pisses her off. Trying to get her to make the Yato club, sneaking into her house, going into the ladies room, and other.

Oh come on, that's hardly the same thing. Those moments are meant to be played for laughs....and they are pretty funny.

They're played for laughs but Yato really is a creepy stalker who at one point (OVA spoilers) spoiler[hijacked her body and made the impression she was a call girl to people at her high-school]. It is definitely mostly because Yato's never had a friend before rather than any malicious intentions, but he takes it really far.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:31 am Reply with quote
Well it really is not the same thing as so far as one is happier. But you cannot ignore that there are some surprising similarities.

Comedy comes from Yato thinking he is doing the right thing when he crosses boundaries. Similarly Nora thinks she is doing the right thing in making him act like a way she know he is. It is probably in the way they have done things that has kept him alive up till now as staying relevant.

Not saying they have to cut their relationship quickly, but as much as the series says that their friendship is good, that it has benefits, it can't go on forever. Hiyori falling in love with him is actually dangerous, we have seen that gods don't see things like living people do, they require the spirits of people to guide them. Hiyori is a young girl and she has become attached to the first supernatural event, and what might happen when she has to eventually move on and huge swaths of her youth are removed from her memory.

I feel like I am being some bad guy, but I want to believe I am more playing the Devil's advocate. This current arc has had quite a bit of focus of a god like force stuck in the land of the dead, who's loneliness makes it fall in love with what might fall into its presence and tries to drag it into its land of the dead. Yato is not being as forceful, but doesn't that sound kind of eerily similar to him?

Not really the same thing, but if you take some emotion out of the situation, things don't look quite black or white. Maybe it means we should pitty Izanami.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:

They're played for laughs but Yato really is a creepy stalker who at one point (OVA spoilers) spoiler[hijacked her body and made the impression she was a call girl to people at her high-school]. It is definitely mostly because Yato's never had a friend before rather than any malicious intentions, but he takes it really far.

Yeah....I didn't like that dumb OVA at all; it was very OOC. I'm sure it wasn't even from the manga.

Quote:
Hiyori falling in love with him is actually dangerous,

Lol, ask me how much I care. If they both want each other, that's all that matters. The author of the manga definitely wants them together and she will make a way for it to happen if that's what she decides. This is manga/anime after all. There are no "rules" when it comes to love, be it sex, species, relation, dead, undead, human, or supernatural being ♥

Quote:
Yato is not being as forceful, but doesn't that sound kind of eerily similar to him?

No, because he was going to let her go. But she refused so he didn't cut ties with her.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:47 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Yeah....I didn't like that dumb OVA at all; it was very OOC. I'm sure it wasn't even from the manga.

It is. Yato can get real creepy when he's away from Hiyori for a few days. (manga spoilers) Like so
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:37 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
It is. Yato can get real creepy when he's away from Hiyori for a few days. (manga spoilers) Like so

More messed up (Yukine's words) than creepy I'd say. There's no denying that Yato is a head case but he becomes absolutely focused when it is the right thing and it matters. That's what makes him so attractive as a character.

Also, he's a god. Not to be judged by human standards.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
There's no denying that Yato is a head case but he becomes absolutely focused when it is the right thing and it matters. That's what makes him so attractive as a character.

Yes, indeed ♥
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12:
Wow this episode was intense.

I love how they fight for Yato and even though it wasn't easy to figure out his true name, the fight itself wasn't just a physical but emotional one too. I think Hiyori tends to be underestimated but she played her role very well imo this episode. Glad to see her succeed in helping out Yato when he needed it the most.

The episode also deserves some praise for its effective use of OST. Can't wait for that to come out soon. Felt bad for Ebisu because of those damn heavenly executioners. Can't the guy ever catch a break? D:

Good episode overall. Can't wait to see the finale!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Wow this episode was intense.

Maybe so but I found myself oddly unsatisfied. I suppose that has to do with the rather mindless rush-to-judgement attitude of the heavenly gods. I also felt that the reconciliation between Yukine and Yato was neglected.

And what happened to Hiiro anyway? Did she get left in the underworld?

Lastly, I can't help wondering if everyone stopped treating Izanami like crap she might be a bit less nasty. Seriously -- they lie to her, steal from her, break their promises. She's so lonely that even getting beat up in a battle seems preferable to having everyone leave. Nobody seems to care.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:08 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Lastly, I can't help wondering if everyone stopped treating Izanami like crap she might be a bit less nasty. Seriously -- they lie to her, steal from her, break their promises. She's so lonely that even getting beat up in a battle seems preferable to having everyone leave. Nobody seems to care.

I felt *exactly* the same way. Doesn't *anyone* have any compassion for her? Even her scum-sucking husband deserted her. Her eldest son came down to use her and steal something she'd made to try to become just a tiny jot less lonely.

Compassion doesn't seem to be a widely held or highly regarded virtue in their pantheon. Sad

Maybe she'd be a lot nicer if someone would just give her a big hug.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:23 pm Reply with quote
From the beginning of the world, Izanami has gotten the short end of the stick. Her story is actually a bit like Lilith's, in that apparently everything went wrong because she wasn't subservient enough and spoke first during the wedding ritual (which is why Ebisu ended up such a mess). At least Susanoo still loves her. Smile

Still trying to puzzle out how she knew his name. I assume it has to do with how she carved it, which is a bit different looking than how she would have written it by hand.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Really wanted a YatoHiyo hug. A bit disappoint. :[
Zork

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

Stark700 wrote:
Episode 12:
Felt bad for Ebisu because of those damn heavenly executioners. Can't the guy ever catch a break? D:

I think he will, based on the incantation Heavens's Punishers were chanting before firing their ultimate weapon.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:05 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Still trying to puzzle out how she knew his name. I assume it has to do with how she carved it, which is a bit different looking than how she would have written it by hand.
Gabriella will probably explain this in her review, but just in case: it has to do with the similar-looking characters (usually only distinguished by size), the katakana ト (to) and the kanji 卜 (boku). The primary meaning of the kanji is "divination", but there is a more common character for that concept. The kanji 卜 is considered pretty archaic and isn't even taught in Japanese schools, so it's no surprise that most people would assume that the katakana ト was intended (and that Yukine seemed to have no clue as to how Hiyori figured it out). At some point Yato must have decided to hide his true name in plain sight by pretending that it was written with the katakana (and before the age of computers, nobody could prove that it wasn't Smile )

Unrelated, but in light of recent event it amuses me that my autocorrect replaced "Yato" with "ayatollah" Very Happy
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:44 am Reply with quote
I see. I was thinking it had to do with the fact that she crossed her lines when carving the ト so that it looked more like 十 (or some other characters I can't post, and given how crude her 夜 is), and that wasn't leading anywhere useful. :)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:54 am Reply with quote
Might put in a guess that the real bad guy are among the gods that were quick to accuse, convict Ebisu without trial, and kill. Like shouldn't they question why the phantoms he summoned did not have masks?

Kind of surprised me that they did not see coming that Yato used a fake name, I thought that this was rather obvious in how he tends to avoid actually talking about his past, and so much emphasis is on names. I was actually thinking that maybe they could call Hiiro and then she could give Yato's true name. Instead apparently Yato decided to abandon Hiiro on his way out despite the fact she helped him get that far, regardless of any other negative aspects. Does that itself mirror the story of Izanami? And possibly a weird echo of other relationships.

Who else shouted "Rend" at the same time as Yato. It was pretty thrilling.

*reads about Izanami* Wouldn't it be a downer ending if a character dies, another tries to bring them back from death only to be horrified by what they become/look like. Make my loosely related fanfiction romantic and have it something like Hiyori becomes a phantom or something, but Yato stays anyway and lets himself be corrupted. Also Chiibi is going to kill me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 28