• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Noragami + Aragoto (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Yukine is a very special regalia.
He grew so much]
& it's amazing indeed!
spoiler[Veena] was repeating history.
spoiler[Aiha] finally stepped up, about time too.
Will Yato have to kill everyone again or will he be able to save them this time?
One thing is for sure... spoiler[Dr. Kuga is insane.
Shame about Kazuma..]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I haven't seen today's episode yet, so the comment you are responding to was from my impressions of last week's episode.

I realize that, but that was the impression I had from previous episodes too, so I didn't think I was giving anything from this episode away. Smile For that matter, even now I'm not absolutely sure my impression is correct that she suppressed the memory (rather than simply being in denial) of what was going on before Yato showed up back then, but given the state she was in when he killed everyone, her mind was totally in "please don't kill them" mode and all other thought, rational or otherwise, went right out the window. So I just figured she forgot due to the shock.

Anyway, I'll be interested to read your thoughts after seeing the episode.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:18 pm Reply with quote
This is going to be a bit roundabout to start, but please bear with me.

As I understand it, in Japan, gods (at least some of them) are formed from people's wishes/needs. If there is a particularly strong, widely held need, it will likely create a powerful god to express that need.

Bishamon is a powerful Japanese god, and from what I've seen about her in this series, I would suppose that she was formed out of a desire to protect -- in this case, aggressively protect the things that are important. If this is true, then it would explain why she feels so impelled to save even those spirits that wouldn't be particularly useful to her.

When she's been reduced to what we might consider her primal state, her urge is to fiercely attack her enemies, in order to protect. She does this even when she's basically not thinking at all. Even though Yato and Bishamon are both gods and both use weapons to accomplish the same goal (purify things and destroy phantoms), their reasoning is extremely different from one another.

This all may seem obvious to some, but it took me a little while to understand why Bishamon acted the way she did and why it was all but impossible for Kazuma to explain to her what happened, or to prevent her from creating the same situation again. (As a side note, I think Kazuma's job is to fine-tune Bishamon's personality to help prevent her from making any serious mistakes... kind of like tugging at the nose of a charging bull to get it to veer slightly to one side or the other.)

At any rate, now that I've seen this episode, I see that Bishamon didn't understand what happened previously: she was probably in too much shock and pain at the time to process the actual events, and once Kazuma missed the opportunity to tell her, he was unwilling to hurt her by revisiting it. And in this episode, we can see how once again the shock and pain of corruption/losing her shinki, turned her once again into a being with only one goal: to destroy her enemy and protect the things she cared about. She lost her ability to think outside of those lines until Kazuma intervened, just as Yato himself was growing more tunnel-visioned towards *his* primal trait (which, it would seem, makes him more succeptible to Nora's influence).

After this episode, I'm a little less critical of Bishamon, but some criticism does remain. Kazuma was at fault for not telling her the truth once she was stable enough to be told, and Bishamon was at fault for not trying to find out in more detail what exactly happened. My guess is that neither of them wanted to deal with it, and both felt they were better off leaving the matter alone and getting on with life. Then, as time passed, the matter become glossed over and the lie of omission became the truth in their minds (well, in Bishamon's mind).

Kazuma may have been a nice guy who cared deeply for his master, but he really did give Yato the short end of the stick: Yato did what was asked, and pretty much ever since has had to watch his back so that Bishamon didn't take him down; that wasn't part of the deal Kazuma made with him.

This time, though, I think Bishamon is going to remember the whole thing. Now she knows the truth: the fake reality she and Kazuma made has been slashed apart, and now she's going to have to live with the consequences (I assume she'll survive this). I'm not entirely sure what Kazuma's fate is right now, but it isn't looking good for him. I honestly hope he'll make it as I think he's and Veena make a good couple, but I guess we'll have to wait until next week to find out.

This was a really good episode, though sad. I hope a certain doctor gets what's coming to him next week.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:13 pm Reply with quote
^Good post. Would read again. Wink

I think the desire to protect what you hold dear is often the motivation for war (at least among the people who enlist to fight it), but I wonder what desires formed Yato as a chaos god? He was kind of the flip side of a war god, caught up in the blood lust of destruction (although maybe Nora was responsible for that? That's a whole 'nother story we need to hear!).

I even understand Kuga's motivation to replace Bishamon, but I just wish he wasn't so damn gleeful about it. It reduces him to an easy-to-hate villain, and this would have been a better story if he were a hard-to-hate antagonist (see Johan in Monster for comparison - he's done horrific things but he's difficult to truly hate, even as you want to see him brought down because he can't be allowed to continue).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:44 am Reply with quote
Man, this episode was intense, I could barely turn away. I put food on before watching and I totally did not realise it was ready in the middle of it. A great episode.

I think an interesting point is the Blight thing, it only really starts if the Regalia does something it knows is wrong. That Kazuma only got stronger after what happened in the past was that he truly thought it was the right thing. That the doctor is not being blighted also means he probably does not seem to see what he is doing as wrong either, he does look quite unhinged though.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:04 am Reply with quote
I think something else is going on with Kuga. He may no longer even be one of her Regalia, since his name had no effect when Kazuma tried to use it to bind him. How he could hide that from her though, I don't know. But Kazuma was asked to give up his name by Nora and Yato, and he said he wouldn't, not that he couldn't. So maybe Kuga gave up his name to Nora (I really can't tell what their relationship is)? Or maybe he just has to renounce it without giving it to anyone.

I don't think you have to think you're wrong to get blighted, you just have to feel negative emotions. Surely all her former Regalia didn't think their suspicions and fears were wrong, since they were acting in self defense in a way, as well as out of concern for their Master.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:10 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I don't think you have to think you're wrong to get blighted, you just have to feel negative emotions. Surely all her former Regalia didn't think their suspicions and fears were wrong, since they were acting in self defense in a way, as well as out of concern for their Master.

Well what they think is negative. Plus it looked like the previous Regalia corrupted each other like what Bishamon was doing here, where it spreads.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:40 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Well what they think is negative. Plus it looked like the previous Regalia corrupted each other like what Bishamon was doing here, where it spreads.

Maybe the other Regalia think it is wrong not to trust others, so that when they experience distrust, they interpret it as wrong (as a negative thing), and so are blighted. Kuga, OTOH, may have thought that there is nothing wrong at all with distrusting others, so that when he experiences distrust, it doesn't affect him. Not really sure of the mechanics, though.

I agree with the idea that Kuga is almost certainly not Bishamon's Regalia anymore, and may not have been for a long time. Perhaps, if he's not a regalia, the conditions under which you can contract blight are different. After all, Nora isn't what I would call very positive, yet she hasn't contracted any blight, either.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:46 am Reply with quote
Holy, I almost forgot how to breathe through the whole episode. Especially when Kazuma confesses the truth to Bishamon. I also really liked the whole Blessed Vessel concept, I thought it was very beautiful and coupled with how Yato kept telling Yukine how amazing he is really helped bring home how far their relationship has come

@Blights, I don't think it has to do with whether you think you're acting wrong or not. Yukine didn't think he was doing anything wrong when he got blighted, he felt he was entitled to act like that because everything had turned out so shitty for him. I agree with Gina in that it's more related with negative emotions. I think Kazuma wasn't blighted when he asked to get his family slaughtered because the feeling that drove him to do it was intense loyalty and concern for his master, whilst the rest of the clan had been driven by distrust of one another.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:54 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Yeah, suspicion is contagious. But what I meant is that I don't think it has anything to do with their awareness of whether their feelings are wrong or not. Certain emotions are negative, even if you feel justified feeling them. That's why I wondered how Kazuma could feel all the guilt about not telling her that he's been carrying without being corrupted and/or stinging Bishamon. Maybe he simultaneously had so many positive feelings toward her that it wasn't noticeable in the din of all her other Regalia. Smile
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:49 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure if my opinions have to do with this ever being cleared up in-universe, so I'll spoiler tag it just in case

spoiler[To me, blighting only occurs when the Regalia thinks they're doing something bad. Guilt over doing something 'bad' is what makes it occur, not some vague thing like 'negative emotions'. Yukine knew what he was doing was awful, as much as he was acting entitled. Everyone kept telling him it was awful, too. He had his reasons but he never thought he was doing the right thing, he was just lashing out. Kazuma never thought he was doing the wrong thing, at least never enough to get blighted.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:05 pm Reply with quote
It would be fun if Yukine, when he shape-shifts back, is now twins. Have we seen any other regalia that turned into a two-piece weapon?

Judging by all the comments above this could be rated the top episode of the season of all anime.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 6:

Intense episode! Loved how Yato fought against Kugaha. His partnership and fighting unity with Yukine seems almost unparalleled. Also really loved the music/OST they used for the fight.

Also glad to see Bishamon fight back despite being corrupted. ABOUT TIME! 5/5. This arc continuously delivers with solid story presentation and thrilling interpersonal struggles imo. Also glad to see Kazuma survive and making up with Bishamon again. Can't wait for next arc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Can't stand that Kugaha!
Yato certainly manned up.
Bishamon showed her soft side..
And then got a grip and saved what could be saved!
All is well that ends well ^^
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:53 am Reply with quote
That was a good episode, but I'm still left wondering why Kugaha wasn't affected when Kazuma invoked his name.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 28