• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nobunaga the Fool (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote

Nobunaga the Fool

Genres: action, science fiction
Themes: mecha

Plot Summary: The planets of the East and the West were once connected by the Ama-no-Hashidate. The culture that built it was destroyed countless years ago, and the two planets have had separate histories ever since. On the Western planet, ancient culture is experiencing a renaissance after a long period of war. Jeanne Kaguya D'Arc, a girl from the Western Planet, was prophesied to be the Savior of the World at her birth. With Leonard Da Vinci, she lands on the Eastern Planet, where Nobunaga "the Fool" longs for the power to change the world, as his planet is still locked in a war where many heroes vie for supremacy. When these two people meet, the culture of both worlds will be transformed.

Episode 1:
Not a big fan of series involving historical themes here but I found the first episode to be entertaining. I like the fact that it also introduces elements of mecha and hell, even tarot cards. Some of the pacing felt a little slow but the action was decent. spoiler[Da Vinci]~

spoiler[Looks like they introduced Jeanne as well, interesting. That mecha at the end looks pretty badass so can't wait to see it in action.] The ED song is decent I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this isn't going to work for me. The use of historical figures is about as off-putting as I've ever seen, but I can get over that. (spoiler[Okay, sure, Jeanne d'Arc is going to worship a Japanese lord as Jesus... why not?]) I'm sure the dramatic style is meant to resonate with someone, but I feel like I just spent 20 minutes watching someone masturbate.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Mamoru Miyano' character of Nobu has me signed up for the series, I can see his character eating up the scenery as the series goes along and that is something I don't want to miss.

The Sci-Fi/Fantasy Epic going on sounds pretty interesting as well.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm with this so far even though my eyes kinda glaze over any time a show drags out figures from the Warring States period. Talk about done to death. At least this one is doing something a bit different by also having other historical personages in it. I like the blending of modern tech/historical periods and I'm intrigued by the world building so far.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Characters look nice ^^
The story is like an alternate universe with mecha.
Wonder why they always choose Nobunaga & his crew from history..
It's not like the Japanese don't have any other famous historical characters.
Anyway, this version looks promising.
It's like Sengoku Basara & Gintama crossbreed + western history legends.
I'll be watching this.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm sad to say I was completely unengaged, emotionally, watching the first episode. Sure, there was a lot of shouting and crying going on on Nobunaga's side, but things felt rather inorganic to me. I didn't really start to care about the characters, and as excited as I am to have Miyano and Sakurai in the same series and getting a lot of scenes together, I am somewhat disappointed how little I cared.

As hoped, Miyano rocks the part. And Nobunaga's character design is quite nice. I will certainly keep on watching for now, for the cast and setting alone. Hopefully, the plot and my emotional involvement will catch up with time.

So, by coming to the Eastern Star, Jeanne will become spoiler[Nobunaga's Ranmaru]. Obvious choice. Mitsuhide and Nobunaga seem like best mates, spoiler[I find it hard to imagine Mitsuhide betraying Nobunaga in the end]. Maybe Jeanne's arrival will change history, though, if not, what would be the point of introducing the character to this setting in the first place?
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I fully enjoyed this first episode. The use of historical figures from slightly different time periods (Magellan and Da Vinci are the only two that were alive at the same time) doesn't bother me in the least.

I certainly do like both the mecha and character designs of the series.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Why would Jeanne of Arc want to do anything for King Arthur? For that matter, why would Da Vinci or Magellan want to do anything for King Arthur?

Let's see...Pluses:
The art and animation look okay.

Mitsu is a bishie. Seriously like his character design

A young character discovering that War is Hell always strikes a cord

Minuses: the plot, setting, and use of random historical figures in a scifi set up is incredibly dumb. Not to mention the mecha! So they don't have telephones, but they have mecha. Right.

Conclusion: yeah...I think I'm out. Historical characters can be used in interesting ways with fantastical themes (L'Chevalier D'Eon did it brilliantly, and I love Gintama), but I don't think this show is all that smart in its use, and its taking itself too seriously to be fun camp or parody. I'm actually curious as to who this show is aimed at. History buffs? Scifi fans? Kids, adults, or families (when does it air)? Anyone know?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Please tell me Jeanne is not going to be some "faux action otome self-insert girl" because that would be very disappointingly irritating.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Why would Jeanne of Arc want to do anything for King Arthur? For that matter, why would Da Vinci or Magellan want to do anything for King Arthur?

Because they are just names. Who said anything about following history? They are just borrowing their names, nothing more. Those anime characters are not historical characters.

I'm in. This is the best mecha anime of season. The only complain that i have is he main character should name Temujin(Chinghis Khan) instead of Nobunaga.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:34 am Reply with quote
I might have considered continuing if there was any sort of "normal" person in the cast. As it is we just seem to have boisterous cape-flapping guys and dewy-eyed mystic girls... well, unless someone else showed in the last 6 minutes or so. I gave up around that point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:55 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

Because they are just names. Who said anything about following history? They are just borrowing their names, nothing more. Those anime characters are not historical characters.

I'm in. This is the best mecha anime of season. The only complain that i have is he main character should name Temujin(Chinghis Khan) instead of Nobunaga.

If that were true then the "East" side should be equally mixed up, with Japanese characters living with Chinese and Korean "historical figures". I just think its lazy writing.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:02 am Reply with quote
This is SO COOL!

spoiler[Leonardo Da Vinci with a sousaphone and Jeanne D'Arc ride a vacuum tube square rigger starship captained by Ferdinand Magellan?] Swords and sorcery, knights and samurai, and MECHS! Count me in so much!

I particularly liked some aspects of the shot composition, like the jagged twilight coastlines and that orchid market (I really liked those orchids too). There was also that cut where Nobunaga's face is drawn on a cubic tesselated substrate. That was really cool.

Yeah this totally feels like a Shoji Kawamori thing in every way. Kawamori-san, your stuff is so beautifully garish.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Throwing a bunch of western figures together felt bad enough, but it was not until I was further in that I realized the huge irony that showed misuse. Jeanne D'Arc was specifically known in history for fighting against English rule in France, in the episode pretty much had her working with King Arthur which they said ruled over the Western world. There is being silly, and then there is totally going against their defining trait. I wonder if she will even have much combat importance other than self insertion.

I have seen a few Nobunaga media already, so who knows. Although she was cuter in a couple of those. I don't really feel any draw to him yet.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:05 am Reply with quote
"Who cares, it's just gaijin history anyway." Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6