• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tonari no Seki-kun (TV)

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote

Tonari no Seki-kun

Genres: Comedy, School, Seinen
Duration: 10 min. per episode

Synopsis:The original manga revolves around a girl named Yokoi who sits next to a boy only known as Seki-kun. During class, Seki-kun continues to not pay attention and instead creates amazing little distractions, such as a detailed golf course with the course's hole being a dent in his desk, or an entire dramatic war being played out by paper shogi pieces. Yokoi often finds herself getting reluctantly interested in his games, even though they always seem to end up getting HER in trouble with the teacher!

EP 1

That was an interesting and funny first episode. Good thing this is only 10 minutes long because the comedy would get dull for a full length episode.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ All Hail Kana Hanazawaヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
That was hilarious. Shame this is only 7 minutes each...

Dat spoiler[domino] and end song haha. It's also amazing how Seki can hide himself while doing his fun activities and you know, spoiler[killing time without getting caught by the instructor.] What a boss.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I noticed that the student in front of Seki is a rather tall dude with broad shoulders, which likely explains how Seki can hide his activities.

That domino setup was awesome - the staircase and cable-car especially - and the music that played as the dominoes fell was epic.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't want this to be any longer than 7-ish minutes. I'm gonna guess that girl never learns the trick of just quietly watching him without freaking out and drawing the instructor's attention to herself.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote
that was amusing. I used to have a really large set of those colorful plastic dominoes when I was younger, and built all kinds of wacky set ups. even had an automatic dispenser that would set them up for you
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:00 pm Reply with quote
The 7-minute length of the episodes works perfectly for this series. I can't wait to see what Seki-kun is going to come up with next week!
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:09 pm Reply with quote
That first episode is absolutely amazing and hilarious. I think we may have a serious contender if not winner for best show this winter season! Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:08 am Reply with quote
Epipisode 1

I am somewhat reminded of Nichijou, as if the characters would have fit right in that show. A skit formulae that would be too long by itself as a full episode. He had like an entire spoiler[class worth of stationary] in his bag.

Doubt there will be anything dramatic happens, at least until she realizes that she likes the random stuff he does because it adds excitement.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
As someone who has read the manga, I have every reason to believe that everyone's fears can be put to rest here. Every episode is bound to be a treat. Very Happy
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:26 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
As someone who has read the manga, I have every reason to believe that everyone's fears can be put to rest here. Every episode is bound to be a treat. Very Happy

Agreed. Just don't expect anything too different from what was shown here or anything beyond the barest hints of romance either.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:59 am Reply with quote
That was fun, although I think I was expecting his creations to be a little more improvised, sprung from boredom and creativity rather than premeditation. He clearly prepared for this, having acquired a bushel of erasers ahead of time, not to mention everything else.

It's also a good thing it's short, because as interesting as what he was doing was, spaz girl was getting on my nerves to an equal extent. I was hoping she'd be more bemused by his activities, and maybe run interference for him. Maybe she'll be less annoying as it progresses.
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Maybe he doesn't get caught because he's actually a ghoooooooost. oooooooooooooh. Or maybe she's craaaaaaaaaaaaazy.

This was an enjoyable one. I agree fully that any longer than it is and it wouldn't work. Also the show's formula calls for it to constantly be outdoing itself.. That will be difficult.

It reminds me of an old.... I think it was a 4 on the Floor skit series, where this guy would do pretty much anything right in front of the cops and not get in trouble, and this other guy was completely overreacting about it.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:04 am Reply with quote
Bango wrote:

It reminds me of an old.... I think it was a 4 on the Floor skit series, where this guy would do pretty much anything right in front of the cops and not get in trouble, and this other guy was completely overreacting about it.

4 on the Floor? Do tell me more! (Really, I never heard of that and I'm curious).
[b[Tonari no Seki-kun[/b] is very cute and charming, but that girl needs to shut up. I kept wondering why the teacher didn't call them both out, she was practically screaming at him! Otherwise, it's really cute, and the perfect length.
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:06 am Reply with quote
An 80's skit comedy show from Canada. I'm unsure if that's the one, having just rewatched a few gags, but it was certainly British or Canadian. Both humour styles rely heavily on the straight man's interactions with the absurd.

As for the teacher maybe he's a kettle type, putting up with her until it effects class (like not being able to answer a question promptly) and then exploding.

I can really understand why this kid would want to build a birdhouse or record a show though. ugh. You know what I did during history and math class in highschool? Anything except history and math. Being a jerk or having a slow droning voice must be a job requirement to teach history.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why Seki has a seiyuu. If he never talks in the show, then the seiyuu probably got the easiest job in anime since all he does is growl or moan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5