• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tonari no Seki-kun (TV)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:53 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Shogi] has never looked so fun before.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I like how the girl got so emotionally involved. She always overreacts.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone else feel a little cheated by episode 2? I wanted to see the proper ending to the game.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:35 am Reply with quote
I think from now on I'll just mute the audio and read the subs. I wish there was a way to just cut Yokoi's audio. Her hysteria just ruins all the enjoyment I get out of watching him work.

Here's how I was hoping episode 2 would end. spoiler[After she's watched all the machinations of the shogi armies, the teacher suddenly calls on her to answer a question, and she blurts out whatever she was thinking about the battle she just witnessed - which turns out to be the right answer (the Tale of Heike is about two clans fighting for control of 12th c. Japan).]
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:59 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Here's how I was hoping episode 2 would end. spoiler[After she's watched all the machinations of the shogi armies, the teacher suddenly calls on her to answer a question, and she blurts out whatever she was thinking about the battle she just witnessed - which turns out to be the right answer (the Tale of Heike is about two clans fighting for control of 12th c. Japan).]

That would've been brilliant. Now I'm sad it didn't end that way

Quote:
Did anyone else feel a little cheated by episode 2? I wanted to see the proper ending to the game.

I did. I really wanted to see what Seki-kun had in mind forspoiler[ the gold usurper.]
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:31 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I think from now on I'll just mute the audio and read the subs. I wish there was a way to just cut Yokoi's audio. Her hysteria just ruins all the enjoyment I get out of watching him work.

But i guess the contrast between Seki-kun silently doing his thing and Yokoi freaking out (and getting in trouble with the teacher) kinda is the point of this show. A "silent anime" just showing Seki do stuff might have its own charm, but i don't really mind Yokoi, she really got me excited about the shogi battle, too. Smile
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:51 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I could listen to Kana Hanazawa* freak out all day long.

Or Kana Hana as I like to call her.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:27 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Or Kana Hana as I like to call her.

And yet she doesn't reply to the letters written in blood with the asked lock of her hair. Wink

It can sounds even more darker when you re-read the first part you wrote into taking it out of context.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Ova

You go girl! Go make Seki repent for his actions. I loved how she said she grew a little stronger.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:02 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
A "silent anime" just showing Seki do stuff might have its own charm, but i don't really mind Yokoi, she really got me excited about the shogi battle, too. Smile

I watched the OAD on mute and it was much more fun. Smile I think her facial expressions and what she's saying are enough. Definitely the way to go for me now.
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:26 am Reply with quote
I love shogi so bonus points this episode.

I would always come up with reasoning and dramatic scenes for games when I was a kid. It's one of the reasons I was so overjoyed when Battle Chess came out and had some of the same ones I imagined.

And I agree, the proposed alternative ending is way better than the actual one.

EDIT: I watched the OVA and on advice from here I muted it. Yeah, I think I'm going to watch the show like that from now on. I don't have anything against Yayoi's voice actress and I don't think she does a bad job. I just think the show's better without her. Too bad you can't keep the sound effects and music but loose her voice. Ep1 would've lost a lot without the epic music. I tried reading the manga but, while great, IMO it works way better as a show.

Also of note, I laughed at bit with her with stars in her eyes and her hand moving up and down (ruler off-camera) because I recognized it as part of a gif that's floating around. It's jumps between that and a scene from an H anime of a guy getting a hand job. I didn't even clue in that's where the girl is from. LOL. Reminds me of the Ranma 1/3 days.
spoony

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:43 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

I think we're supposed to assume that without Yayoi's intervention the Gold General would have won over the King, since Seki-kun seems to enjoy giving the evil guy the spotlight. How he would have gotten rid of the opposing army, though, I don't know. Confused

I really liked that Yayoi got so invested in the game and eventually intervened. After the first episode I thought all the gags would involve her trying to foil Seki and then getting in trouble. I like the show (and her) much more when she is a semi-accomplice.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3 is up. I may have seen the buff job to end all buff jobs. Laughing
Bango wrote:
I watched the OVA and on advice from here I muted it. Yeah, I think I'm going to watch the show like that from now on. I don't have anything against Yayoi's voice actress and I don't think she does a bad job. I just think the show's better without her.

If she doesn't do a bad job, then there is nothing to mute. But, it's your preference, bud.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Nice double episodes. The roles switched in the first episode and the class was apart of the scheme in the second episode.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:32 pm Reply with quote
My childhood memories flashed in my mind when I saw those spoiler[toy robots] tbh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5