• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Saki – The Nationals (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote

Saki - The Nationals

Genres: tournament
Plot: Sequel to the Saki series covering the Inter High School Mahjong Championships. The Combined Training Arc will be also re-animated.

Source: MAL

Episode 1: Decent set up episode overall. It's nice to see everyone back and ready to go for the tournament. I'm curious who will make it through the rounds though but it's really refreshing to see Saki again. I always thought all the VA did a decent job with their roles so far. The intensity of the match...I can sense it in those glowing eyes already!

Lol @ Saki getting lost though Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
It's like Girls und Panzer with mahjong. Glad to see some actual Saki back, I skipped that side-story series because of no Nodoka and others.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:25 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Glad to see some actual Saki back, I skipped that side-story series because of no Nodoka and others.

The side story was about Nodoka's schoolfriends from her last years of elementary school. As such, she is in the first half of the first episode, and getting to go to the Nationals to play against Nodoka again forms a key purpose for banding together and creating their team. Saki and girls from the other schools do show up occasionally too. The girls that pass Saki in the hallway when she's lost are the Achiga girls (they're talking about what they'd do if they meet Nodoka) and that scene is in the other series as well. From their perspective, they were all suddenly struck by the immense mahjong power Saki was emanating.

But I'm not going to say you should watch that whole show though, it was decidedly worse than the original. You might want to watch some of it though. That first episode, maybe the one where they play practice matches against Koromo and those girls (I think that's the middle or end of ep. 3) and then look at an episode guide to see when cameos from the first season girls pop in (they encounter Nodoka again near the end).
They also devote the most playing time to the first round match against Saki's sister, Teru (eps. 8(end)-12)... unfortunately the true focus of those episodes is poor little moe girl, Toki, whose "ability" is, no kidding, to see into the future and know what tiles and plays will be made (which no one ever thinks might be considered cheating)... *sigh*... but it makes her all moe sick. (she "won" the saimoe tournament last year).

The other thing you miss from not watching those episodes is how truly irritating that screaming game commentator is... but oh boy, it looks like we get to see her in this one too (damnit!)

As long as they don't spend entire episodes going through the life stories of every single other player they play against (like they did in Achiga-hen) I look forward to this continuation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
It's like Girls und Panzer with mahjong. Glad to see some actual Saki back, I skipped that side-story series because of no Nodoka and others.

the side-story was actually more popular and some said better than the first season of Saki. The Girls in Side-A have more magical power than the first season. The final table was crazy, everybody was a cheater in that table. Lead changed in almost every hand. The only reason you know who will win/qualify because we know who are the main characters.

I hope Side-B girls have crazy power too.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:05 am Reply with quote
I keep forgetting how huge the cast is. there are far too many people for me to keep track of.

I missed the "wahaha" that's how I imagine Misha laughing in Katawa Shoujo, only louder
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:52 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
I keep forgetting how huge the cast is. there are far too many people for me to keep track of.

The sheer size of the cast of characters in this show is as intimidating as the staggering list of rules and strategems this story throws at you. I have to wonder what they could serve up that hasn't already been done exhaustively in the prior two seasons. I guess we just have to sit back and see.

Is there a High School tournament for boys, and if so does anyone pay any attention?

Saki doesn't wear any pantsu. Just sayin.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:36 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

No one wears any pantsu. Seriously, characters in the show have worn skirts and stuff that would clearly show their underwear (like rings and a little bit of fabric) and the lack of seems to imply they don't have any. Especially gets crazy when you see characters running around with incredibly short skirts, just a jersey, the aforementioned ring skirt and top, and what appeared in this episode to have a young girl with her top totally thrown open with visible tan from swimwear.

Episode 1

Waiting years for this, I think the first season was back in 2009, and now it is 2014. In watching the episode I do have the characters that appeared in the spinoff in mind. I thought it was quite funny the difference of perception of Saki seeing the Achiga girls, they looked scary rather than them terrified by Saki, also she was spoiler[apparently lost]. Laughing We also saw various other Side A character who probably won't get much.

Wahaha. Why do I love that sound? And plenty of soft yuri too, everyone saw Nodoka blushing over Saki's threads. And mysterious floating towel.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:54 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
getchman wrote:

The sheer size of the cast of characters in this show is as intimidating as the staggering list of rules and strategems this story throws at you. I have to wonder what they could serve up that hasn't already been done exhaustively in the prior two seasons. I guess we just have to sit back and see.

Is there a High School tournament for boys, and if so does anyone pay any attention?

there is a tournament for boys. The only boy in that club got bodied hard in the quality tournament. No, they don't cover it.

Mahjong tournaments should be no gender tournament just like poker. There is no advantage being a boy or a girl.

Who care if there is no female wins world series of poker. it's all fair game.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I'm pretty sure that individuals tournament from the first season was anime original filler anyway. They don't care about the boys, they don't care about individual titles.

...actually, what purpose would there be in separating boys and girls in mahjong?
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Actually, I'm pretty sure that individuals tournament from the first season was anime original filler anyway. They don't care about the boys, they don't care about individual titles.

...actually, what purpose would there be in separating boys and girls in mahjong?

Girls are far stronger in mahjong than boys in the Saki universe.

The strongest Male in high school is around Izumi's level.
Nayu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:

Girls are far stronger in mahjong than boys in the Saki universe.

The strongest Male in high school is around Izumi's level.

This is because men can't get powered up by the power of yuri. Razz

Well, not in mahjong anyways. Very Happy
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Might have something to do with clothes too, they guys have to wear pants. But remember how that other team actually made her change from male clothes to female uniform? This with the fact that none of them apparently wear underwear might have some implications.

Truth is that guys probably could not get away with the ridiculous styles the girls are dressed in, thus they are limited.
Nayu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:23 am Reply with quote
Did anyone else notice that spoiler[when Hisa was going into the closet where they hung up their uniforms, there was a Kazekoshi one in the closet? Did Hisa and Mihoko get even closer?]
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
so, Touka is actually a badass, but only at random times?
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
The tacos are back! Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5