• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Saki – The Nationals (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I like how her power nullifier is justspoiler[ staring at someone really hard]
dvls_advocate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:

Don't forget her spoiler[ eye with the monocle also flashes or glows.] Wouldn't be Saki without something visual to show the audience Smile
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:34 am Reply with quote
dvls_advocate wrote:
Don't forget her spoiler[ eye with the monocle also flashes or glows.] Wouldn't be Saki without something visual to show the audience Smile

Did you happen to notice that it was sometimes the eye without the monocle that flashed?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

So was Nodoka like spoiler[laying low the entire time an getting the other teams exhausted by enabling loli exhibitionist]?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:39 am Reply with quote
no, she was just completely ignoring everything and playing like she was on the computer, like she does every match
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:13 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:

Well, luckily she has that power. You can't allow Eisui to have Yakuman(32,000), or double Yakuman.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10.

That has to be the most somnolent episode yet. The flashback almost put me to sleep and I watched it at 7:30PM!

Put this in the category of anime I can't understand why I am watching except I am stubborn.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
LOL
Saki's powers go freaky, spoiler[everyone get's scared, the monocle breaks, and... oppai shrine priestess' boobs start levitating!] oh, that killed me.

But really, it's about time. The freaking point of the show is that Saki is supposed to be wicked strong and scary... but they just go on and on with absolutely everyone's back stories... and they're sweet and nice... but getting SO DAMN OLD! I think they've largely lost the generic moe touch too... you may like these girls, but there's not anything all that touching about their struggles.

I guess the advantage of the continuing tournament is that we have less character life stories to go through... but it's also true that you know the shrine girls are going forward because they've revealed the least about them and they're obviously holding back back-story for later.

Anyway,here's hoping Saki blows everyone out in the next episode to really show her ability... because that's the point, right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:26 pm Reply with quote
yeah, that was interesting. Wasn't paying attention until now, but I didn't think it was possible for anyone to be larger than Nodoka. Also, this is just a guess because I still don't know how this game works, but I think Saki trolled everyone with that last move before the credits rolled
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Would really help if I understood the game at all. But who would guess, it would take an entire spinoff and most of this season to finally get back to this show's namesake.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote
lol @ the girl who wants to play normal Mahjong.
Toyone's mismatch voice is growing on me. I hope we can see more of her in the future.

The game is very easy to learn. it's a kid's game, It took me a day to learn it. Calculate the points is the only difficult part. I played with some Japanese, they don't calculate the points either. That's why they have a chart that tells you how many points that you win.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130711132015/saki/images/6/6a/Scoring_Table.png

IF the dealer is keep winning, the follow games will wroth more points based on how many bonus stick on the table. Riichi stick is 1000 points. If you don't have 1000 points, you can't declare riichi.

If you are a dealer, you get (base points X 1.5) = total points. Other than that, base points = total points.

When they said 4000/2000, that means the deal pays 4000, other two players pay 2000.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:23 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
The game is very easy to learn. it's a kid's game, It took me a day to learn it.

It sort of reminds me about the card game "bridge" which my middle class jewish grandparents played in clubs with a passion. The rules were easy enough to learn in 30 minutes. It was all the strategy and postmortems that were mystifying. Things like East bid two spades so I knew the Jack of Clubs had to be with West and then the dealer led with a Heart so the Ace had to be ... and on and on.

If the game takes a day to learn then is a complicated game. The rules of Go can be learned in 10 minutes. The game of chess can be learned in about 40 minutes. Poker: 10 to 40 minutes depending on the mental vitality of the player. Yet all these games are vastly complex to master.

The problem with Saki as a show is that their drama presumes a good working knowledge of all the master-level strategy. Worse, there is no time to examine these miraculous moves in any detail. At most you see the hand of the player making them. You will note the audiences in the show see everything. More than that they have iPad apps that allow them to see the entire recorded history of each player in the circuit. And those characters often need explanations for what is going on! What chance do we have?

Still, I can't say what about this keeps me watching. The mystic powers thing is getting really old. The flashbacks are tiresome. The see-saw horse race is predictable. The no-pantsu thing is kind of fun but rare. This season has even lost the quirky announcer. All I am waiting for is the big showdown between Saki and her snotty sister. Which of course Saki will win. If this were a BD set I would probably end up just skipping to the last two episodes.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13:

It looks like I'm the only one still commenting on this anime. The story has finally got down to the semi-finals and for this they had to introduce two new teams that we haven't seen before. I hope that doesn't trigger a dozen flashbacks.

This episode has almost no Mahjong in it. It does have Saki's older sister Teru.

We also have something of a record for butt flashes this episode. For what that's worth.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:29 am Reply with quote
You describe it as if nothing else happened.
A glimpse of a remnant of a clue as to what Teru's problem problem with Saki might possibly be.
...if you can't tell, I'm kinda annoyed at the inconsequential nature of the flashback(s) provided.... and that there has never been (to my recollection) any hint previously given that their quarrel was anything more than an exaggeration of girls choosing which parent to side with in a divorce.
Now we have spoiler[a never before mentioned girl with gimpy legs and a separate image of her rolling wheelchair on fire.]
I'd say "let the speculation begin," except that the information given is so insignificant that it's meaningless to try to get anything out of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 13

Oh come on, don't tease us that much with the preview.

I was going to say one of the reasons this season has been pretty bad is that we have barely had any Saki, the show's namesake. We have barely had any actual fun, no her being awkward and her apparently troubled history. That is until this episode that I think showed the more mundane side of the main cast that we really needed. Not to mention Nodoka talking about her spoiler[friends, and such was needed. And that screw up by the announcer who did not know what to say to focus on and decided on "uniforms]".

Also anyone notice the captains with the longing gaze, after all I think she told her that her eye was pretty earlier. Although what I am trying to recall that quote from was probably ages ago. This season has been so stingy on some yuri.

I am pretty close on just calling this season Weak due to being so stretched out, but I will settle on Not Really Good, as I liked some characters. Also Yuuki wore a cape.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5