• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Pilot's Love Song (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:07 am Reply with quote

The Pilot's Love Song

Genres: adventure, drama, fantasy, romance
Themes: airplanes, aviation, friendship, military
find similar anime based on genres & themes

Plot Summary: This is a tale of a prince who lost everything leaves for a journey with no guarantee of returning to his hometown safely. With hatred and revenge in his mind, he met several people that taught him about friendship...and love.

Episode 1: Whoa, that felt kinda fast. I liked the fact that the plot is already escalating but the romance is kinda obvious there. The aviation part is quite nice though with the fluid animation.

I'm expecting to see more dogfights soon though. The CGI like animation was odd though. Anyways, I did enjoy the movie that I watched awhile ago so I'll look forward to see what else will go on later. Gotta feel that nice breeze:

I'm also curious why that guy with the silver hair keeps giving the cold stare to Kal though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:18 am Reply with quote
He has silver hair. That's what dudes with silver hair do.

"Sure, we could establish a reasonable way a romantic connection could be made through the writing, but why bother? We've got an orchestra!"
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I was really enjoying it until HOLY CRAP ROMANCE!. I was rolling my eyes during that entire scene. However, I'm still interested to keep up with it for now.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:

"Sure, we could establish a reasonable way a romantic connection could be made through the writing, but why bother? We've got an orchestra!"

LOL! Yeah, that was involuntarily hilarious. But that aside, it looks reasonably interesting, so i will give it another one or two episodes at the very least.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:40 pm Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
I was really enjoying it until HOLY CRAP ROMANCE!. I was rolling my eyes during that entire scene. However, I'm still interested to keep up with it for now.

I had similar feelings... but then the forced Romantic FEELZ with the bonus of "Star crossed lovers" made me go on the fence to follow it or not.
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:31 pm Reply with quote
It feels very adventurous with some dark undertones implied in the opening scene. Really looking forward for more. And yea about the romance... All I can say that it's at least not about tsunderes and wishy-washy feelings.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
yoshiyukiblade wrote:
It feels very adventurous with some dark undertones implied in the opening scene. Really looking forward for more. And yea about the romance... All I can say that it's at least not about tsunderes and wishy-washy feelings.

I dunno, silver haired boy looked like he might go tsundere for Kalel at any time.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:42 pm Reply with quote
The silver haired guy probably was someone who had beef with the previous ruler and since Kal was the former prince that would explain why silver hair guy kept giving him the death stare.

The writer must have been a Superman fan. Kae-El is the original name of Superman.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I can say with absolute certainty that this anime might be my favorite of this season. Such an amazing opening episode. A great premise and concept with likeable characters and funny moments coupled with hints of romance to come. Heck Claire has already jumped to my favorite female character this season from this episode alone. And get a load of the awesome soundtrack with beautiful string arrangements!

It's been a while since an episode made me feel like a gitty school girl Anime smile.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I do not think that this is a show that I want to watch weekly. The hints are all over. Probably a large cast, a slow war build-up with development of multiple characters that will probably be best understood in marathon mode. And then there's the probable device of telling separate but eventually converging plots.

I guess I'll next see you all at the end of the season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
The aircraft stuff obviously makes me think of Last Exile, which I liked. I'll stick with it to see where it goes.
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to thank them for not following the line "I'm not gonna let anyone else die!" with him shooting people down. That happens way too often. It's likely a language thing (the "anyone else" is likely specifically "ones I care about") but it really kills the mood when it happens. Anyway, this was likely the nicest bulk aerospace battle I've seen in a while that didn't involve the propellers being strapped to the legs of a pantless girl.

The opening tells me I'm going to probably LOVE this. Please please PLEASE don't crap the budget and script like... that other fantasy aviation romance show I liked but had crappy animation and it's name eludes me. I know it wasn't Himekishi Lilia but something similar.

Also, regarding the girl with the staff, son, we call that an investment. Stick around her. You won't regret it... probably.

Dude's dad looks like Iskandar-lite. Or diet Iskandar. 70% less protein.

Ummm... I'm not sure but doesn't finding the end of the sky mean crashing? Anyway, I'm gonna watch now and save my comments for later.

Yeah, that was pretty enjoyable. The feel and tone kind of reminded me of Good Witch of the West. A lot got done this episode and the main characters are pretty well established. The music felt a bit forced in places but it wasn't bad. The romance was pretty forced but not really bad either. Actually it had an almost movie-like feel, like I was watching the first 10th of something in the theatre.

It's a keeper. I really like the mechanical designs and how similar to ours they look while still being just different enough. Oh, and a warning for anyone who plays Minecraft. Don't build your town at cloud level. You can't see 90% of the time. http://imgur.com/xJDAw1r
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Phenomenally annoying shaky cam during the action sequences. And less than two minutes in and I was already sick of the sister. Generally looks very pretty though. Acceptable CG. Great backgrounds and landscapes. And the premise seems cool. I like the idea of them being isolated on this floating island on this indefinite mission. And I like the characters. Kal is at least somewhat interesting. He seems to have some anger beneath the surface. Interested to see what they do with that. And Claire seems alright too. Kinda funny and she has some chemistry with Kal. A few warts aside this seems solid.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:08 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I was not too interested in this for most of it, not for the revenge plot, general characters, or really for the whole air thing. I could not help but see the irony of him not wanting people to die just as he is killing people. But despite the fact I found the beginning of romantic run in to be a little lame, by the end of it I found something I actually liked, such as that he is not crushing on who I assume is his sister through adopted family, is a good change of what I was expecting. As a romance I might watch this.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:05 am Reply with quote
So I assume I'm the only one who found Claire to be excruciatingly irritating? From the inability to fix her bike's chain to the "Oh no, another HUMAN BEING. RUN AND HIDE NOW!" reaction. The whole romance scene was ming-numbingly stupid. I was rolling my eyes so hard at the spoiler["accidental" crash in the lake and the even more accidental "Trip-fall-get caught by guy in compromising position."].

I also may not be one to pay much attention to production values (I loved AoT's artstyle and never even noticed the so-called "abuse of stills"), but damn does this look cheap as hell. There are so many off-model moments and the general artstyle is terribly drawn except for crucial seconds. I mean, the hugging scene in the ending looks horrible. Actually, everything looks horrible in the ending. Don't even get me started on the "splashing water/Flubber scene". Gah.

There are of course, some things that I liked, mostly, the relationship between the two siblings and the potential mixture of political conflict and fantasy adventure, but right now it feels really bland and I have literally no reason to care at all about the SUPER SUBTLE romance story. I may give it a few more eps.

Quote:
The writer must have been a Superman fan. Kae-El is the original name of Superman.

Coincidentally, Nicolas Cage's youngest son is called Kal-El too
I just had to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12